Anyone care to try to talk me out of trading IS250 for BMW

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 05:35 PM
MrKayP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone care to try to talk me out of trading IS250 for BMW

Hi everyone,

When i first purchase my lexus is250 2009 back in 2013 I felt awesome having a nice looking car thats reliable, RWD and high technology( back up camera GPS), luxury but after sometime now I'm leaning towards BMW because they got Manual/Inline 6 twin turbo/RWD which we can all agree is the main recipe for driving enthusiastics. I'm thinking of trading in my IS for e82 (135i) or e90 (335i). I don't want to Diss on lexus I like the idea that lexus is reliable, modern design, competes against BMW and mercedez. But I think its time for a new experience. Anyone has any comments feel free to comment below. I like lexus but the idea that it's not sportier for my expectations which is kind of the down side. Also its not manual. If anyone from BMW went to Lexus please I would like to read your opinions and what BMW you owned previously. I feel like BMW are just better cars just cause they are street car and track car, even though we have much variety to choose from. For those lexus lovers please commment what you like about it im all about reading your opinions
Old 01-25-16, 05:52 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How about IS350, IS-F, RC350 or RCF? My concern about BMW is reliable, and engine carbon build up issue like the IS250.
Old 01-25-16, 06:07 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm moving away from Lexus for my next car because no manual transmission. If the experience is important to you (it is to me), then you should consider the BMW for sure. The 135i is one of my favorite BMWs. The handling, power, and feeling is hard to match in any current generation of cars.
Old 01-25-16, 06:09 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

who would talk you out of it. you get a whole lot of more car than your current 250.
Old 01-25-16, 06:11 PM
mlapag
Driver School Candidate

Previously owned a 335i 6 speed - Loved it but it had an unruly amount of issues. Carbon buildup was covered the first time around. I let it go at around 80k when the turbos were on their way out. I do miss the 6 speed.

Switched to a is350 - I personally prefer the 350' interior. Better leather, better sound system, better overall fit and finish. And essentially just as fast stock.

If you are daily driving the BMW and plan to put 10k + a year on it I would at least make sure it was CPO.

I say ISF - V8 ftw
Old 01-25-16, 06:22 PM
MrKayP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MWIS350
How about IS350, IS-F, RC350 or RCF? My concern about BMW is reliable, and engine carbon build up issue like the IS250.
Yea argreable, I like the IS350 but the price for lexus cars are expensive for what your gettingconsidering the kind of options you get out of it. I just want a more define sports car and moving towards away luxury since im only 21 luxury isn't a top priority and luxury isn't everything in a car. I actually had the carbon build up fixed with new pistons and rings no questioned asked. I actually like the customer service lexus provides with loaners cars its superb and what i expect when I purchase a luxury lexus. I do agree with the reliability with BMW its like 50% chance either car going to be lemon or its going to run like a champ but i do know BMW inline 6 engines gets alot of awards for their craftsmanship and being so bullet proof.
Old 01-25-16, 06:26 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Why not e90/92 m3 manual? I heard its more reliable than the inline 6 twin turbos.
Old 01-25-16, 06:27 PM
MrKayP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kumquatism
I'm moving away from Lexus for my next car because no manual transmission. If the experience is important to you (it is to me), then you should consider the BMW for sure. The 135i is one of my favorite BMWs. The handling, power, and feeling is hard to match in any current generation of cars.

I'm glad someone in these forums are on the same boat as me. I do feel like after owning a car for several years automatic gearbox are just boring and would like to do more in the driver seat. Btw what kind of car do you have? My mindset right now is that i wouldn't own a car anymore unless its a manual gearbox there is just no other way. You can push automatic great but theres always room for improvement when it comes to clutch work. What brand are you considering?
Old 01-25-16, 06:33 PM
MrKayP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Why not e90/92 m3 manual? I heard its more reliable than the inline 6 twin turbos.
Yea i thought about e90 and i never test drove it yet but thats going to be one of my top priority when it comes to test driving. I have drove E88 1M automatic and it was superb which is probably the only closest car I can compare At the moment. I thought about e92 but its so pricey which is out of my selections. But what i thought about was the E46 M3 since its an M car but the high mileage and price i felt more leaned towards CPO BMW. And as far as inline 6 twin turbos even though they arent as reliable they have better gas mileage than e92 and has lots of torque because of the turbos. Plus turbos are the future just need a bullet proof engine to handle turbos and bmw inline 6 are bullet proof.
Old 01-25-16, 06:35 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

One you are infected with the bavarian bug, its hard to see the amazingness of the Lexus brand. Good luck, and hopefully you are leasing. Buying logic would be a terrible idea
Old 01-25-16, 06:36 PM
MrKayP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mlapag
Previously owned a 335i 6 speed - Loved it but it had an unruly amount of issues. Carbon buildup was covered the first time around. I let it go at around 80k when the turbos were on their way out. I do miss the 6 speed.

Switched to a is350 - I personally prefer the 350' interior. Better leather, better sound system, better overall fit and finish. And essentially just as fast stock.

If you are daily driving the BMW and plan to put 10k + a year on it I would at least make sure it was CPO.

I say ISF - V8 ftw
Thanks for your input, love to read previous bmw owners who move to lexus. Gives me a good idea and sense to what to look out for. I like your 335i a lot but im sorry to hear you got many issues with BMW and good choice on choosing IS350 i know there is a huge competetion between 350 and 335 both are awesome but 350 would win overall ownership which i do agree with top tier reviewers.( glad u mention about the seats, technology, interrior.) They offer just as much as the 335i. I do feel like the 350 is a bit rarer compare to the 250 . CPO for the win!
Old 01-25-16, 06:42 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

in my states about 70% of the people drive IS250. The other 30% are IS350.
Old 01-25-16, 09:47 PM
jared7
Driver School Candidate

bmw = buy my whip.. they are beautiful/quick/luxurious cars, but after that warranty runs out you will miss your lexus. my coworker has a 2011 5 series with 80k miles, still isnt paid off yet and he has already spent 3000 on repairs. for a 2011 that's ridiculous!
Old 01-26-16, 02:17 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

If you can afford the BMW, the extended warranty, the up-keep, and the insurance...go for it!
Old 01-26-16, 02:46 PM
20LS01
Driver

Owner horror stories are true regarding repairs.

I drove my a friend's 330i one day and the display randomly showed "transmission malfunction" after a short spirited drive. It only had 50k miles on it at the time.

Quick Reply: Anyone care to try to talk me out of trading IS250 for BMW