IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone care to try to talk me out of trading IS250 for BMW

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 01:28 PM
ISMTFTW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, brand new here, I came to the lexus forum to bash on the "A/T is better, faster" crowd but your question stood out. I really must say that if m/t is what you need and you like some semblance of JDM reliability, look into Subaru. The Legacy and Impreza platforms ALL drive beautifully but sadly no RWD option and most of their m/t's are only available in turbocharged configurations. That said, reliability is much better than most of the Europeans in my opinion.
Old 01-29-16, 08:10 PM
MrKayP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stereorob
hideously unreliable. after warrantee period you need to run screaming.
cheap fit and finish, very disappointing
plastic electronic stick shifter (seriously wtf is that about)
weather stripping goes bad quick
paint goes bad quick
they rust
they drop value faster than a boulder rolls off a cliff
BMW drivers are mostly asshats, not the same sense of community as lexus drivers
they look dated and stupid after a few years unlike lexus that is timeless

sure BMWs are fun to drive, keyword is WHEN they can be driven
Big Money Wasted.

stick with Lexus. unless you hate yourself, and love to be broke

also, if you decide to get a BMW, I suggest you stop by the local animal shelter and pick up a dog, so you have a friend to walk home with when it leaves you stranded on the side of the road, and it will.

that is all.
HAHA when I read this it made me smile, your right about the money im not sure about the animal shelter but thanks for your input :P
Old 01-29-16, 08:47 PM
MrKayP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISMTFTW
Hey, brand new here, I came to the lexus forum to bash on the "A/T is better, faster" crowd but your question stood out. I really must say that if m/t is what you need and you like some semblance of JDM reliability, look into Subaru. The Legacy and Impreza platforms ALL drive beautifully but sadly no RWD option and most of their m/t's are only available in turbocharged configurations. That said, reliability is much better than most of the Europeans in my opinion.
I agree love ur input subaru are definitely reliable but also have the sport features and manual options im leaning towards BMW because they are better cars but subaru is over priced for what they selling
Old 01-29-16, 08:50 PM
MrKayP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by A_Grasso
I recently leased a '15 335i and still have my is350 for daily driving. Main reason why I got the BMW is because I wanted something more fun to drive, and also have a car that I can very easily tune (jb4). The n55 engines are far more reliable than the older twin turbo n54's. If you can, try to get at least a 2012 year model with the single twin-scroll turbo. Other than that I would say go for it.
Thanks mate this is the reason why i wanted to post a thread about this lol, with people out their who already had the experience its good to hear and read about feedback with other drivers. Thanks for the suggestion i will highly consider 2012+ models. I hear the new 335i are so reliable comparing the mid year models (06-08) You got nice cars btw love your tastes and dynamic
Old 01-29-16, 09:21 PM
ISMTFTW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrKayP
I agree love ur input subaru are definitely reliable but also have the sport features and manual options im leaning towards BMW because they are better cars but subaru is over priced for what they selling
Don't be so sure of that. I bought a 2005 Outback XT (it's a legacy GT with a body lift) with 130,000 miles 2 years ago and other than the mile reading on the odo it still feels like a new car, there's no interior wear, drives like new and the resale is nearly the same price that I bought it for. I can't say any of those things about friends' beamers. But to each their own!

Good luck, and hopefully you buy a car equipped with a mechanical manual trans to tell the automakers that we still prefer these features!
Old 01-29-16, 09:55 PM
A_Grasso
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrKayP
Thanks mate this is the reason why i wanted to post a thread about this lol, with people out their who already had the experience its good to hear and read about feedback with other drivers. Thanks for the suggestion i will highly consider 2012+ models. I hear the new 335i are so reliable comparing the mid year models (06-08) You got nice cars btw love your tastes and dynamic
Thanks man. Be sure to post a pic of your new whip!
Old 01-29-16, 10:56 PM
Nabil250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jared7
bmw = buy my whip.. they are beautiful/quick/luxurious cars, but after that warranty runs out you will miss your lexus. my coworker has a 2011 5 series with 80k miles, still isnt paid off yet and he has already spent 3000 on repairs. for a 2011 that's ridiculous!
That's very true my friend is suffering with her car as well
Old 01-30-16, 07:56 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

I would completely agree that the manual would be nice. Other than that I think a used IS350 can be easily as good or better than a 335i with a small amount of work. They are just about a quick coming out of the factory. I have an 08 IS350 which I have spent about $2500 on suspension and track quite a bit. In the twisty sections I can keep up or pass 90% the E92 M3. Yes on the straits they have the power advantage but I have managed to get my IS to handle comparable to the M3. The IS350 breaks are great and the interior is nicer than BMW. And over the 8 years and 20+ track days my IS350 has seen I have has only two issues, a broken water pump and a broken passenger window mechanism. Talking to the BMW crowd you will not find that kind of reliability from any of them
Old 01-30-16, 08:39 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Stay NO to roll-racing; the IS350 shines from a dig!
Old 01-30-16, 09:54 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

I only traded in my Bimmer 3 (E90) and got my current IS250 because I wanted a reliable, cheap-to-maintain car for the current chapter of my life. Otherwise the Bimmer was superior in every way imaginable. I plan on going back to BMW in a few years.

Last edited by BrownPride; 01-30-16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-30-16, 10:04 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stereorob
hideously unreliable. after warrantee period you need to run screaming.
cheap fit and finish, very disappointing
plastic electronic stick shifter (seriously wtf is that about)
weather stripping goes bad quick
paint goes bad quick
they rust
they drop value faster than a boulder rolls off a cliff
BMW drivers are mostly asshats, not the same sense of community as lexus drivers
they look dated and stupid after a few years unlike lexus that is timeless

sure BMWs are fun to drive, keyword is WHEN they can be driven
Big Money Wasted.

stick with Lexus. unless you hate yourself, and love to be broke

also, if you decide to get a BMW, I suggest you stop by the local animal shelter and pick up a dog, so you have a friend to walk home with when it leaves you stranded on the side of the road, and it will.

that is all.
Sorry this reeks of some sort of inferiority complex or general strong bias on your part.
Cheap fit and finish? Try sitting in my 2012 IS250 it's full of panel gaps from the factory. The switches are straight out of cheaper Toyotas. The quality of materials and fit-and-finish of BMWs is much higher than in any comparable Lexus today. Lexus isn't even in the same ballpark.
Paint goes bad? They rust? What decade are you living in?
They drop quickly in value? All luxury cars do that, used BMWs still command higher prices than their competitors
The biggest LOL right now is "BMW drivers have a lack of community." BMW has among the largest enthusiast community of any automaker in the world, right up there with Ferrari and Porsche. Have you ever heard of ///M Fest? Have you visited Bimmerpost.com and seen how the frequency of posts and passion of the owners puts every brand to shame?
They look dated and stupid? Aside from some of the Bangle cars there are BMWs over 20-30 years old which still look beautiful today. Ever heard of the E39 or E46? Aside from the 2nd generation Lexus IS, Lexus has never made a car with a timeless design.

I'll agree that BMWs are nice to lease and/or drop after the warranty period, because the cost for eventual repairs and those darn performance tires that burn through in 10K miles is expensive, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. BMWs have the latest tech, best powertrain, best driving experience, and nicest interiors; whereas the majority of Lexus' in comparison are Toyotas underneath and have outdated tech and powertrains which is why they are so reliable. I'm not some sort of anti-Lexus troll because I happen to have one, but I had to chime in and call this post out on it's absolute bull.

Last edited by BrownPride; 01-30-16 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-30-16, 05:05 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Sorry this reeks of some sort of inferiority complex or general strong bias on your part.
Cheap fit and finish? Try sitting in my 2012 IS250 it's full of panel gaps from the factory. The switches are straight out of cheaper Toyotas. The quality of materials and fit-and-finish of BMWs is much higher than in any comparable Lexus today. Lexus isn't even in the same ballpark.
They drop quickly in value? All luxury cars do that, used BMWs still command higher prices than their competitors
The biggest LOL right now is "BMW drivers have a lack of community." BMW has among the largest enthusiast community of any automaker in the world, right up there with Ferrari and Porsche. Have you ever heard of ///M Fest? Have you visited Bimmerpost.com and seen how the frequency of posts and passion of the owners puts every brand to shame?
They look dated and stupid? Aside from some of the Bangle cars there are BMWs over 20-30 years old which still look beautiful today. Ever heard of the E39 or E46? Aside from the 2nd generation Lexus IS, Lexus has never made a car with a timeless design.

I'll agree that BMWs are nice to lease and/or drop after the warranty period, because the cost for eventual repairs and those darn performance tires that burn through in 10K miles is expensive, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. BMWs have the latest tech, best powertrain, best driving experience, and nicest interiors; whereas the majority of Lexus' in comparison are Toyotas underneath and have outdated tech and powertrains which is why they are so reliable. I'm not some sort of anti-Lexus troll because I happen to have one, but I had to chime in and call this post out on it's absolute bull.
You mad bro?? Chill out it was just an Opinion please treat it like one.
Old 01-30-16, 05:22 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride

By the way about fit and finish. My BMW had the trim upholstery or whatever you call it falling off on the back by the speaker and over by the front curtain airbag. Looked very cheap in my opinion and the sport seats while very comfortable had cheaper leather. Just saying.. My opinion and my experience that's all it is.

Edit: Forgot to mention my driver side seat tore too. Not very quality finish if you ask me..

Last edited by Tro209; 02-02-16 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-01-16, 05:35 PM
pattatted4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus has never made a car with a timeless design...psh
Attached Thumbnails Anyone care to try to talk me out of trading IS250 for BMW-lexus_lfa_001.jpg  
Old 02-01-16, 05:52 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Only Beamer I would buy or trade in for is M4 hardtop convertible. Those will be collectable in the future.

Quick Reply: Anyone care to try to talk me out of trading IS250 for BMW