IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

XM satellite radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 08:00 PM
Dimitri
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XM satellite radio?

I would like to get XM radio in my 08 is350 however I don't believe my car came with it. When I hit the SAT button on the radio surround, nothing comes up. The dealer says that means I do not have it.

Is there a way to get satalite radio hooked up to the OEM unit? I don't want one of those big clunky external units and putting a new headunit in this car would be worthless.

I know sewell used to sell this, but I assume it's no longer available?

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/2021.html

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks
Old 12-05-11, 09:28 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey buddy 2 months ago I was looking into this for my car. My car did not have one as well
I have a spare XM RADIO reciever for sale you can have on the cheap.

the only problem is you will need to find the wiring harness that comes with it. Well it took me weeks to find one untill a fellow CL member sold me theres. These wiring harness are exetremly rare to find.

if your interested in my reciever and wanna take the risk on finding the harness yourself and want to save a buck its yours. I think the reviever go for 100 or more brand new I will sell you mine for $50.

PM me if interested

Last edited by WIZARD1325; 12-05-11 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-06-11, 06:32 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The easiest option for you by far, in terms of install, is the OEM kit.

But as you've found, they don't sell em anymore.

If you can get both the receiver and the fit kit (which mainly you care about the wiring plug there) you just pop off a couple panels in the trunk, plug in the receiver, put the panels back on, and you're done. Just like factory.

If you are unable to find the OEM parts anywhere then VAIS and others sell XM receivers that will plug into the stock head unit, but you're going to need to open up the dash and plug something into the back of the head unit... plus you will need to mount your own antenna someplace rather than reusing the OEM shark fin.
Old 12-06-11, 06:46 AM
itruns
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
If you are unable to find the OEM parts anywhere then VAIS and others sell XM receivers that will plug into the stock head unit, but you're going to need to open up the dash and plug something into the back of the head unit... plus you will need to mount your own antenna someplace rather than reusing the OEM shark fin.
Hey Kurtz.. I have the aftermarket unit in mine with a seperate xm antenna, but recently I came across someplace that sold a cable to attach the aftermarket module to the factory sharkfin... I don't remember where I saw it though..
Old 12-06-11, 08:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by itruns
Hey Kurtz.. I have the aftermarket unit in mine with a seperate xm antenna, but recently I came across someplace that sold a cable to attach the aftermarket module to the factory sharkfin... I don't remember where I saw it though..
That's certainly possible... (I'd check with Crutchfield by phone probably to find it) I know there was an adapter to use the sharkfin with a Sirius reciever at one point... two downsides though:

1) It was like $50 for the adapter

2) You still had to run an antenna wire from the front of the car all the way to the back...versus just plugging it in directly in the back with the OEM unit.
Old 12-09-11, 11:18 PM
gpomp
Driver School Candidate

vaistech makes the cable. you can get it form vais or tss-radio
Old 12-11-11, 08:12 PM
Dimitri
Driver

Damn, this sucks! I really only want if I can get the oem one. I am not really interested in running all kinds of cables/antennas and having an external device to use the xm radio.

Hopefully someone will see this thread and want to sell theirs!
Old 12-12-11, 11:09 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by Dimitri
Damn, this sucks! I really only want if I can get the oem one. I am not really interested in running all kinds of cables/antennas and having an external device to use the xm radio.

Hopefully someone will see this thread and want to sell theirs!
Our SL2xD2 kit works exactly the same way as OEM. Everything is integrated into the radio and SL2xD2 kit sits behind the head unit, so all the controls do go through your radio, steering wheel controls and touch screen if you have nav. There is no difference in operation between SL2xD2 and the OEM kit.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-11, 11:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VaisTech
Our SL2xD2 kit works exactly the same way as OEM. Everything is integrated into the radio and SL2xD2 kit sits behind the head unit, so all the controls do go through your radio, steering wheel controls and touch screen if you have nav. There is no difference in operation between SL2xD2 and the OEM kit.

Thanks!
For clarification- the OEM unit doesn't go behind the head unit- it installs entirely in the trunk, requiring no dis-assembly of the dash at all...you don't go anywhere near the head unit... Likewise it plugs right into the sharkfin antenna connection in the trunk as well, requiring no added wiring for antenna purposes.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket unit from any vendor that the above is true of... so while the post-install operation of the SL2xD2 might be the same as the OEM unit the install certainly wouldn't be... that's the nice thing about the OEM unit- install is incredibly simple and doesn't require taking the dash apart at all. (the less nice thing of course is its discontinuation)
Old 12-12-11, 06:42 PM
itruns
Driver

Thanks!
Not to hijack the tread, but what is the simplest way to add just a usb input to an 08 nav IS350..non-ML?
Old 12-13-11, 09:07 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Not to hijack the tread, but what is the simplest way to add just a usb input to an 08 nav IS350..non-ML?
The easiest way is to get either VML or ML Plus units. You can compare and get more information about it on our website. www.vaistech.com

Thanks.
Old 12-13-11, 02:47 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Xm

You see the OEM XM kits on eBay all the time.

On installing XM with an aftermarket kit. It is very easy. My first one was aftermarket. And I just picked up the power from the Sunroof motor. Had the control head in the sunglass case above the rear view mirror. And ran antenna wire around the windshield trim. And place the antenna on the front edge of the dash.

The only part you could see was the small 1 inch by 1 inch antenna.
Old 12-13-11, 06:30 PM
Dimitri
Driver

Thanks!
Thanks. Pm'd!

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
You see the OEM XM kits on eBay all the time.

On installing XM with an aftermarket kit. It is very easy. My first one was aftermarket. And I just picked up the power from the Sunroof motor. Had the control head in the sunglass case above the rear view mirror. And ran antenna wire around the windshield trim. And place the antenna on the front edge of the dash.

The only part you could see was the small 1 inch by 1 inch antenna.
Do you see any on there now? I can't find any!

The aftermarket kit Vaistech seems pretty legit. If I cannot find OEM I will grab that!
Old 12-13-11, 10:56 PM
gpomp
Driver School Candidate

i have a vais sl2s for my car that i use with my sirius. works just like oem.
Old 12-28-11, 01:45 PM
RamJam
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Brand new to the forum and and happy to be a part of the group. I've been researching the OEM XM parts for my IS 250 also and just recently stumbled upon these two links to buy the parts new. I haven't placed my order yet, so I may get to the checkout only to find out they aren't available, but thought I would share the links on the forum just in case. Anyway, here they are:

http://www.toyotapartsmall.com/produ...p?part_id=938#

http://www.factorypartsexpress.com/p...catalogid=5503

Quick Reply: XM satellite radio?