IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How frequent does the Carbon Buildup issue require user attention? (is it a hassle?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15, 12:14 PM
letmewrite
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How frequent does the Carbon Buildup issue require user attention? (is it a hassle?)

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a 2007-2009 IS 250.

I've read a lot about this carbon buildup issue on the forums, and it seems like a design issue that affects all IS250s up to early 2010 productions models, which has me a little worried.

My question is, when this issue does occur, how frequent does this issue require owner attention when it does give you misfire codes / stalling at stops? I'm willing to do yearly carbon cleanings along with annual inspections, but would rather steer away if it means getting misfire codes and stalling at stops every other month.

Any ideas?

(Apologies if i'm breaking any rules, I'm fairly new to the forum. I tried a search couldn't find any threads on the frequency of this issue in particular)
Old 12-30-15, 12:23 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Frequency is due to ALOT of factors. The main thing is how the previous owner drove the car and the frequency which it was driven. I'd be looking for a daily driver.

When you find one, just make sure it take it through its paces. Make sure that you're able to start the car yourself from stone cold to operating temp. Anything abnormal that arises (rough idle, dropping rpm at a stop, etc), I'd find another.
Old 12-30-15, 12:42 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Have you considered the IS350? The IS350 has both port and direct injectors, so it doesn't suffer from this issue.
Old 12-30-15, 01:11 PM
letmewrite
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Frequency is due to ALOT of factors. The main thing is how the previous owner drove the car and the frequency which it was driven. I'd be looking for a daily driver.

When you find one, just make sure it take it through its paces. Make sure that you're able to start the car yourself from stone cold to operating temp. Anything abnormal that arises (rough idle, dropping rpm at a stop, etc), I'd find another.
Thanks for the advice. My guess is, it would be okay while I'm test driving, and a few months or year later, the issue may start to develop, hence why I'd like to have a heads up in terms of what to expect when it does occur

Originally Posted by Bichon
Have you considered the IS350? The IS350 has both port and direct injectors, so it doesn't suffer from this issue.
I'll take a look at the IS 350s as well. I seem to recall seeing some other common issues with the 350s, however it wasn't as chronic as the 250's carbon buildup. Maybe that would be the better buy. I'll do some research and find out what that issue was (i think it only applied to certain year models)
Old 12-30-15, 05:33 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

If you can find a good IS350 up there, definitely a better choice!
Old 12-30-15, 06:28 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

IS350 have similar engine as Toyota Supra. It's one of the most reliable engine.
Old 12-30-15, 07:34 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by MWIS350
IS350 have similar engine as Toyota Supra. It's one of the most reliable engine.
I think you are confusing it with the first generation IS. The Supra and first gen IS300 both have versions of the 2JZ inline 6, while the 2nd generation IS350 has the 2GR-FSE which is a V6. You are right that it is an incredibly reliable engine though. Innovative too, as it was awarded Wards 10 best engines four years running from 2006 through 2009.

Last edited by Bichon; 12-30-15 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-31-15, 10:22 AM
Ktran1039
Driver

You can ask the owner if they've done the carbon build up recall on the vehicle. If they haven't you can take the car to a lexus dealership and they will replace all pistons/seals/fluids/and block if needed. They will also carbon flush the entire system. FREE

This is covered under a 10 year extended warranty starting from purchase date of the vehicle. So if you find a 2006 IS250 you can still get it done this year. Extended warranty means you dont need to have warranty on the vehicle.

I just did this recall with my 2008 IS250 at 90k miles
Basically a new/rebuilt engine no need to worry about carbon build up for a long long time.
Old 01-01-16, 03:13 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2006 250 runs great but i also had carbon build up done as well as new pistons not my daily as it only has 82K
Old 01-10-16, 01:24 PM
SparkLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ktran1039
You can ask the owner if they've done the carbon build up recall on the vehicle. If they haven't you can take the car to a lexus dealership and they will replace all pistons/seals/fluids/and block if needed. They will also carbon flush the entire system. FREE

This is covered under a 10 year extended warranty starting from purchase date of the vehicle. So if you find a 2006 IS250 you can still get it done this year. Extended warranty means you dont need to have warranty on the vehicle.

I just did this recall with my 2008 IS250 at 90k miles
Basically a new/rebuilt engine no need to worry about carbon build up for a long long time.

I've reread your message and I'm still wondering......did you mean that the second owner could have that done if it's within 10 years? Or did you mean that the original owner could get it done before selling it? I'm a second owner on a used 2009 IS250, so I'm looking into it....

Thanks!
Old 01-10-16, 01:45 PM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The repair can be done for no charge within 9 years of original sale date. Doesn't matter who currently owns the car.
Originally Posted by SparkLex
I've reread your message and I'm still wondering......did you mean that the second owner could have that done if it's within 10 years? Or did you mean that the original owner could get it done before selling it? I'm a second owner on a used 2009 IS250, so I'm looking into it....

Thanks!
Old 01-10-16, 01:52 PM
SparkLex
Rookie

Wow. That's pretty awesome. Lexus continues to impress me. I guess I'll contact a lucky local dealer and ask them when they can do my free work!
Old 01-10-16, 01:59 PM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are u having carbon buildup symptoms? First they have to prove you have the problem. I was getting the vibrations, but it was very infrequent. Took the dealer 3 times before they were able to replicate the issue and perform the service. Though they may be getting better at it now.
Originally Posted by SparkLex
Wow. That's pretty awesome. Lexus continues to impress me. I guess I'll contact a lucky local dealer and ask them when they can do my free work!
Old 01-10-16, 02:02 PM
SparkLex
Rookie

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. No, no symptoms at the moment. I had learned from my mechanic and the dealer that sold it that putting a newer additive in at oil change could keep the idle problem from happening, and so far, so good. Hmm. Maybe I should stop doing that, let it fail and then have the real fix done? Scary gamble....
Old 01-10-16, 04:26 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

You can register your car at Lexus Drivers and see if the carbon build up service has already been performed on the car or not.

Quick Reply: How frequent does the Carbon Buildup issue require user attention? (is it a hassle?)