IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New to Me 2006 IS350 - Need Cosmetic Upgrade Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 01:55 PM
organicali
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to Me 2006 IS350 - Need Cosmetic Upgrade Advice

Just picked up a 2006 IS350. Going back to Lexus after a good/bad 5 year run with an A4.

So... the car is Black Onyx with black interior. Only options I think are 18" wheels, wood grain, and perf heat/cooled seats. Sport package would have been nice but I'm ok. The ride and handling beats the hell out of my A4 which had coilovers and new control arms. (could be subjective, the steering weight is definitely lighter)

I need to bring the car up to my standards for cosmetics. I tried looking for a good thread but can't find a good list of popular mods/additions. So here is what I'm thinking... I would appreciate input on specific parts/brands/vendors as well as ideas for other things to do to the car.

First things first - giving it a complete external detail with clay, light finishing compound, polish, sealant.

-Tint 20% all around (I like 35% but think it will look too light on a black car)
-IS-F dummy shark fin painted black
-Interior LED's for halogen lighting. Probably just buying one of these 11pc LED kits I see. Do I need resistors on any of these?
-HID kit for fogs and low beams.
-Thule Aero Roof Rack (I'm a cyclist)

Questions:
Can I do anything with the DRL's? Would LED bulbs be good for these?

Debating Debading the back. Do any of the emblems have pin holes? Good suggestions for new rear emblem that won't deface the car?

Might change out the front grille, but def not for a motorsport look. Possibly just black grille surround and a different emblem.

I'm leaving suspension and wheels stock for a good while. I hated the ride of coilovers in my Audi and no longer want to put up with uneven tire wear. Going to enjoy this Lexus ride for now. Might powder coat the wheels eventually.

Thanks CL!
Old 12-21-15, 02:05 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi! welcome and congrats to your new to you lexus!

Yes you can change your DRL to LED
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/60-SMD-9005...t-p/40-440.htm but you need a decoder. R4 in this link

As for the emblem in the back, yes there are holes so I would leave it as is.

Things you might want to consider
- jdm window visor
- f sport front and rear swaybars
- trunk spoiler
- rear window spoiler
Old 12-22-15, 09:53 AM
pattatted4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Club, and congrats on your Lexus choice!

I've seen more than a few members go with the Hybrid emblems. Still chrome but with blue inside, they look good IMO.
Rear window spoiler looks good as well.
An inexpensive way to delete the chrome surround on the front grill, is to plastidip it. If you don't like it, you can peel it off.
There are a ton of threads on the LED interiors lights, awesome detail that looks fantastic at night. I have done it myself.
There are a ton of HID kits available, and the members here have tons of feedback already on most kits. Quick search should get you pointed in the direction you want.

Thanks for joining, hope to see tons of pics of your mods, and most importantly enjoy your new to you Lexus!
Old 12-23-15, 08:40 AM
organicali
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys!

Do you happen to know that if the DRL is changed to LED if it will be on at full brightness all the time, as if my high beams were on?
Old 12-23-15, 09:56 AM
pattatted4
Driver

I tried looking for the thread (...at work), I think someone has tried that, but I can't remember if it was just like what you are trying to accomplish, or if they did the 12+ swap...the tough part is that there is so much information here...
Old 12-23-15, 11:28 AM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

as for grille options, I think there are only 3. someone correct me if I'm wrong
you can get fsport, kazz or lxmode. imo, the kazz and lxmode are more vip so maybe take a look at fsport?
Old 12-24-15, 07:02 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by organicali
Just picked up a 2006 IS350. Going back to Lexus after a good/bad 5 year run with an A4.

So... the car is Black Onyx with black interior. Only options I think are 18" wheels, wood grain, and perf heat/cooled seats. Sport package would have been nice but I'm ok. The ride and handling beats the hell out of my A4 which had coilovers and new control arms. (could be subjective, the steering weight is definitely lighter)

I need to bring the car up to my standards for cosmetics. I tried looking for a good thread but can't find a good list of popular mods/additions. So here is what I'm thinking... I would appreciate input on specific parts/brands/vendors as well as ideas for other things to do to the car.

First things first - giving it a complete external detail with clay, light finishing compound, polish, sealant.

-Tint 20% all around (I like 35% but think it will look too light on a black car)
-IS-F dummy shark fin painted black
-Interior LED's for halogen lighting. Probably just buying one of these 11pc LED kits I see. Do I need resistors on any of these?
-HID kit for fogs and low beams.
-Thule Aero Roof Rack (I'm a cyclist)

Questions:

Debating Debading the back. Do any of the emblems have pin holes? Good suggestions for new rear emblem that won't deface the car?

Might change out the front grille, but def not for a motorsport look. Possibly just black grille surround and a different emblem.

I'm leaving suspension and wheels stock for a good while. I hated the ride of coilovers in my Audi and no longer want to put up with uneven tire wear. Going to enjoy this Lexus ride for now. Might powder coat the wheels eventually.

Thanks CL!
First of all! Welcome to the club! I drive a 06 is350 absolutely love it!

to answer your questions!

Questions:

You can get LEDs from V-leds, they offer really high quality stuff. You will also need a relay wire so it doesent flicker.

Yes, The Rear L has 2 holes, The Lexus has 2 holes, and the S and 0 have holes.
You could get black pearl emblems (They are expensive), Paint yourself , or debadge and fill the holes.

Grill options have been mentioned, I decided to just use a replica Ebay F sport grill and got an emblem insert attached to the grill. Gave it more the F sport look, I also painted my grill surround Black to give it a little more aggressive touch.

You can PM me if you see a body kit part you like, I can most likely help you identify it.
Old 12-24-15, 09:07 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

congrats and welcome to the forum tons of info for our year car's on here.
Old 12-24-15, 10:21 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to CL. I had an 06' Black IS also and it's a great color when clean.
Here are some pics of my car with V Led DRL's (not as bright as a headlight)
Shaved rear emblems
interior led's
6000K HID fogs
LX Mode grille

Good luck with what you decide and have fun. Theres plenty of info on ere with pics.
Attached Thumbnails New to Me 2006 IS350 - Need Cosmetic Upgrade Advice-derrick-mance-sacramento.jpg   New to Me 2006 IS350 - Need Cosmetic Upgrade Advice-d-mance-photo-shoot-black-white.jpg   New to Me 2006 IS350 - Need Cosmetic Upgrade Advice-rear-shot-3.jpg   New to Me 2006 IS350 - Need Cosmetic Upgrade Advice-derrick-mabce-canibeat-1.jpg   New to Me 2006 IS350 - Need Cosmetic Upgrade Advice-interior-shot.jpg  

New to Me 2006 IS350 - Need Cosmetic Upgrade Advice-rolling-shot-ti-1.jpg   New to Me 2006 IS350 - Need Cosmetic Upgrade Advice-rolling-bridge-shot.jpg  

Last edited by Sffd103; 12-24-15 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-25-15, 05:44 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Congrats on the purchase - the IS line is a great car to mod. Here are some ideas:
-Painted brake calipers
-Grille/F-sport grille
-Rear decklid spoiler
-Roof Spoiler (may not look great with the roof rack, but up to you)
-Illuminated Door Sills
-Wheels (I've always felt even OEM wheel offerings on the IS line from 2006 through 2013 are great such as the f-sport wheels on the 2011+ models and five spoke of the 2011+ wheels)
-Clear Front Bra (Xpel)
-LED Reverse Bulbs
-LED Interior Bulbs
-Spec D Headlamp / Lexus OEM 2012+ Headlamp Upgrade
-3rd Generation IS Tail Light Style (78works, Spec D) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-lights-6.html
-Chrome Trunk Strip

Enjoy!

Last edited by AJLex19; 12-25-15 at 06:03 PM.