IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 Lexus IS250 won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-15, 12:12 PM
Mylexus250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Lexus IS250 won't crank

I got my IS250 a couple of months ago and it was running fine til a week ago. I got in my car and tried to crank it and it cranked right up and then immediately killed itself. So I tried to start it again and it won't even try to crank. When I go try to crank it after a few hours it just repeats the process of cranking and killing itself and then won't try to crank. I have tried resetting the ecu, putting the key right beside the push to start button, different key fobs, and jump starting the car. I have also hooked it up to my OBII and it won't communicate with it most of the time, but I have got it to communicate twice with it when the check engine light is on, and it was my engine immobilizer system. The only lights that are on are my Check VSC, traction control, and my P/S light. Everything else turns on properly and works fine. My green light comes on my push to start so it shouldn't be my brakes not recognized being pushed down, and it recognizes it being in park. Have tried everything I know but can't afford to pay $99 an hour for them to have to fix my car.

Any help is very appreciated.
Old 12-22-15, 06:40 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried jumping the car? Just want to rule out bad battery
Old 12-22-15, 07:04 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Mylexus250
I have tried resetting the ecu, putting the key right beside the push to start button, different key fobs, and jump starting the car.
Originally Posted by Icy350
Have you tried jumping the car? Just want to rule out bad battery
He said that he did.
Old 12-22-15, 08:42 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have another key fob to try?
Old 12-22-15, 09:11 AM
Mylexus250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Do you have another key fob to try?
Yes sir, I've tried my spare key also.
Old 12-22-15, 09:30 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you need new battery. Happen to someone I know with IS250 and started ok with new battery.
Old 12-22-15, 09:33 PM
Mylexus250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MWIS350
I think you need new battery. Happen to someone I know with IS250 and started ok with new battery.
I just replaced the battery and same thing happening. Working to replace the fuel filter in hopes that helps.
Thanks for all the posts and help so far.
Old 12-28-15, 09:28 PM
Sceptre
Pole Position

Exact thing happened to me. Had to get my car towed to the dealer. Turns out it was a bad fuel pressure sensor. It did not throw a code.

Now get this. Because of the fuel pressure gasket recall, Lexus will not replace just the fuel pressure sensor for liability reasons. So they have to replace the whole fuel rail to the tune of $1300.

Do yourself a favor and get a Fuel pressure sensor (Denso one is around $50. OEM one is around $250) and get that replaced first.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-15, 04:02 PM
Mylexus250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sceptre
Exact thing happened to me. Had to get my car towed to the dealer. Turns out it was a bad fuel pressure sensor. It did not throw a code.

Now get this. Because of the fuel pressure gasket recall, Lexus will not replace just the fuel pressure sensor for liability reasons. So they have to replace the whole fuel rail to the tune of $1300.

Do yourself a favor and get a Fuel pressure sensor (Denso one is around $50. OEM one is around $250) and get that replaced first.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response! Are you talking about the fuel pressure sensor that looks to be beside the engine?
Old 12-29-15, 05:15 PM
Sceptre
Pole Position

Thanks for the response! Are you talking about the fuel pressure sensor that looks to be beside the engine?
I'm not entirely sure where it is, but check out this link on ebay. It has a picture of where it would be. It is definitely on the fuel rail.

If you have AAA, you can get it towed for free. I got AAA for this reason. And in case my car fails, I still have a couple free tows over the next year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-89458-30...NVVTSz&vxp=mtr

Where in Texas are you?
Old 12-29-15, 05:27 PM
Mylexus250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sceptre
I'm not entirely sure where it is, but check out this link on ebay. It has a picture of where it would be. It is definitely on the fuel rail.

If you have AAA, you can get it towed for free. I got AAA for this reason. And in case my car fails, I still have a couple free tows over the next year.
Im in southeasttexas close to lufkin. Have you heard of people unplugging it so that it will crank?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-89458-30...NVVTSz&vxp=mtr

Where in Texas are you?
Im close to lufkin. Have you heard of people unplugging it so that it will crank?
Old 12-29-15, 06:37 PM
Sceptre
Pole Position

Im close to lufkin. Have you heard of people unplugging it so that it will crank?
Dude, you are like over 100 miles away from the closest Lexus dealers. I've never heard of someone unplugging it. The dealer told me that once the car senses there was a bad fuel pressure sensor the reason it would not crank anymore was to prevent damage to the engine.

You may have to bite the bullet and get it towed to a shop that can change the sensor for you.
My local shop said they can do it in less than 2 hours. You might get lucky and have have a mobile mechanic come out and do it if they have the know how or you can try it yourself.

If I had not already had the car towed and sitting at the dealership, I would have attempted it myself. It does not look too bad. Just the spot is a little tight under the throttle body.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-16, 09:46 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Well, your code is immobilizer systems problem why don't you check with local lock smith? Could be your immobilizer ECU went bad
Old 01-02-16, 08:29 AM
Mylexus250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebeast
Well, your code is immobilizer systems problem why don't you check with local lock smith? Could be your immobilizer ECU went bad
Thanks for all the replies! The problem was my fuel pressure sensor. I unplugged it and it cranked and I was able to get it home. It was in limp mode I believe. Either way ordered a new fuel pressure sensor and waiting for it to come in. Thanks again!
Old 01-02-16, 08:52 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Good to know. Glad you figure it out.good luck

Quick Reply: 2006 Lexus IS250 won't crank