IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What happened to my car? :(

Old 12-18-15, 05:08 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What happened to my car? :(

So let me start this off by saying that i am pretty frustrated. Not sure if its at the shop I left my car at for the GFX replicas i was having installed or at myself for trusting such a cheap place to do this correctly.

So here it is... in all its misaligned and improperly fitted glory. I hate it , i really do. Not sure how well you can see the gaps on the photos but in person I dont like it. Now I have to go to another shop (and i have to stick it out till monday) and have them fox this or better yet just remove them completely and go back to stock.

Man im so pissed I threw away all this money to be left with this What do you guys think??

I only payed the guy $240 for paint and install.
Old 12-18-15, 05:30 PM
Steelo350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks pretty rough dude, if you're as fussy as me I know what you're going through

Take the car to a reputable business, get the kit refitted and touched up. Lesson learned, cheaper is not always the best option.
Old 12-18-15, 06:33 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Steelo350
That looks pretty rough dude, if you're as fussy as me I know what you're going through

Take the car to a reputable business, get the kit refitted and touched up. Lesson learned, cheaper is not always the best option.
Tell me about it!! Thats the last time I trust that dude with this kind of work

But yeah, thats the plan for now. I already took it to another shop and they said bring it by monday and theyll see what we can do about it. Hopefully I dont have to toss these lips and can still have them put on, only rhis time correctly.

One good thing about this though is that at night its a lot less noticable lol.
Old 12-18-15, 06:48 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Lol live and learn. I had my lip kit painted by a guy from craigslist and he charged me $350 for the front, side and rear (starfire pearl color) then yeah as soon as i got it, I went to a different shop to have it painted. i asked for a refund but damn he was getting mad at me. F that guy i hope he rots in hell
Old 12-18-15, 09:16 PM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

gotta do it right the first time even if it's expensive! or you'll end up spending more in the long run ):
Old 12-18-15, 09:20 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

That's why I don't buy replicas
Old 12-18-15, 09:26 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aznKewlguy
Im sure it was more on the fault of the shop than the lip itself. But yeah i guess if you say so..
Old 12-19-15, 12:15 AM
MIca250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aznKewlguy
It's not about the replicas. Its about who buys them. Some people really cheap out on replicas and expect great material and finish of the product. There's several replicas that are better then others. Just do your search and you'll find one that you'll be happy with.
Old 12-19-15, 12:34 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Considering the parts are ugly to begin with, it seems fitting. Pun intended.

Next time take it to a reputable shop.
Old 12-19-15, 01:33 AM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

replicas never give 100% fitment and there's always a lot of work getting it to look good.
Old 12-19-15, 04:43 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MIca250
It's not about the replicas. Its about who buys them. Some people really cheap out on replicas and expect great material and finish of the product. There's several replicas that are better then others. Just do your search and you'll find one that you'll be happy with.
Well considering I spent more on these for the Polyutherane material vs fiberglass, I had just assumed it would work out. The real issue was the shop. As soon as I left from there I headed straight for another shop and had them evaluate this guys work and they plainly said that replicas usually have fitment issues (which I knew already) but that these looked like they would have fit with some modification and proper test fitting. He then went on to point out exactly where it is the screwed up and how they could be fixed vs the original installer who seemed pretty clueless. Once again my fault for trusting him :/
Old 12-19-15, 04:52 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NickTee
Considering the parts are ugly to begin with, it seems fitting. Pun intended.

Next time take it to a reputable shop.
Not sure how im supposed to take this comment... are you dissing me saying that my rides ugly or that you just hate GFX kits?
Old 12-19-15, 05:58 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GFX is supposed to fit like a glove, usually replicas must be heated and bended in order to fit properly.

The sole reason I prefer to stay away from reps is because its
1) Hit or miss
2) more than likely, the body shop may have to do work for it to fit
3) Id rather not have a part with headaches and wait for the authentic version to come on sale.

This is all my personal opinion though. Hope it doesen't cost you too much to fit it!
Old 12-19-15, 06:01 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Icy350
GFX is supposed to fit like a glove, usually replicas must be heated and bended in order to fit properly.

The sole reason I prefer to stay away from reps is because its
1) Hit or miss
2) more than likely, the body shop may have to do work for it to fit
3) Id rather not have a part with headaches and wait for the authentic version to come on sale.

This is all my personal opinion though. Hope it doesen't cost you too much to fit it!
Yeah I get what your saying. I just didnt really know where to buy an official kit from either though. Although I didnt search very hard lol. But yeah hopefully I can get this fixed, if not ill remove it and go another route.
Old 12-19-15, 07:04 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Im not too sure on this but I believe if you called Sewell and order through phone they offer the full GFX Kit. I remember it being at quite a hefty price though ( 300~400 for the front lip, 200 for rear and 200~300 for sides)

EDIT:

I actually just remembered something, If youre a DIY kinda guy or maybe you could ask your next shop to use weather strip to fill in any noticeable gaps. I know even for an Authentic Toms rear it comes with a weather strip to fill in all gaps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What happened to my car? :(