IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is350

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-15, 03:27 AM
oscar55773
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is350

i have an 06' IS350 and i plan to mod it soon and i want power but i dont want to have a car that is too fast to drive. what are good mods to put on an IS350? I hear alot about supercharged IS's but idk whether its legit or not.
Old 12-03-15, 01:39 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Intake/header/exhaust maybe 20whp lol
Supercharger is not worth it, too expensive for little gain.
Best option is to trade/sell the car and get the isf if you want more power
Old 12-03-15, 03:31 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Intake/header/exhaust maybe 20whp lol
Supercharger is not worth it, too expensive for little gain.
Best option is to trade/sell the car and get the isf if you want more power

Super charger has good review for the 2is.
Stewbie got 350 WHP with his Charger and bolt ons. Means youre getting maybe roughly + 50 for the charger and 20 from bolts for about 5-6k?

That seems pretty relative to me considering how difficult it is to super charge the car.

BUT! An ISF would definitely be easier.

Personally I wouldnt supercharge. If you bought the IS with intentions on getting more power, then unfortunately this may not be the right platform for you .

Good luck with your decisions! IMHO, the 350 is plenty fast for the roads.
Old 12-03-15, 04:07 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The IS350 is a great car...as is. It's not a great car to mod.

Personally, I want a car that is quicker than most on the road and super reliable. IS350 does a great job at that. Others want a car that they can engine mod to the ****, which it is not great for.

And with supercharging, unless you already have a lot time and money invested into the car, you would probably be better off getting a faster car, like the ISF.
Old 12-03-15, 09:42 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed with everyone above ^^

The IS250 and IS350 are pretty bad for modding. A lot has to do with the fact that no one can tune our vehicles (anyone who says they can is just BS). But if you have the mod bug id suggest you do intake, headers and exhaust since thats pretty much all you can do power wise.

But in all honesty i think the real way to go is to just improve the cars handling characteristics and feel. To do that I'd recommend you getting the front and rear F-Sport sway bars, some good coilovers, and an IS-F steering ECU...

Those 3 upgrades should completely transform your car compared to adding slight power gains. And if you really feel the need to think your going faster just add an exhaust

All in all the IS is NOT a mod friendly platform. It is a nice, sophisticated, entry luxury car with enough get up and go to beat a good amount of cars on the road in stock trim. And a car that looks DROP DEAD GORGEOUS with some nice cosmetic upgrades here and there.

Good luck OP with whatever you decide to do and i hope you find the advice you are looking for
Old 12-03-15, 10:53 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Intake, header, exhaust and if you want more 75 shot of Nitrous.
Old 12-04-15, 05:44 AM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

We understand you want to make your car a bit faster and that's ok. There's a few intakes you can go with but some say they just make noise and look nice. The JoeZ intake pipe with the Fsport intake system seems to be a good choice and it will look very close to OEM. As far as headers PPE are the best ones to go with. They have proven to make power and if you match it with a true dual exhaust made by JoeZ or Borla you should feel a difference. One other thing you can also do is buy a set of lighter wheels. This will help the car move alot quicker and if you really want to get down and dirty you can replace your hood and trunk with a carbon fiber one, swap out the is350 brakes for lighter Brembo brakes plus lighter rotors. So far I have been able to remove 212lbs from the car but thats another story..lol I hope this can help you with you project. PM me if you have any further questions.
Old 12-04-15, 11:47 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by badx33
We understand you want to make your car a bit faster and that's ok. There's a few intakes you can go with but some say they just make noise and look nice. The JoeZ intake pipe with the Fsport intake system seems to be a good choice and it will look very close to OEM. As far as headers PPE are the best ones to go with. They have proven to make power and if you match it with a true dual exhaust made by JoeZ or Borla you should feel a difference. One other thing you can also do is buy a set of lighter wheels. This will help the car move alot quicker and if you really want to get down and dirty you can replace your hood and trunk with a carbon fiber one, swap out the is350 brakes for lighter Brembo brakes plus lighter rotors. So far I have been able to remove 212lbs from the car but thats another story..lol I hope this can help you with you project. PM me if you have any further questions.
How did you remove so much weight from the car? Did you have to gut the interior?
Old 12-04-15, 07:06 PM
oscar55773
Rookie

Originally Posted by badx33
yeah ill look into that, now that i see these i see that a supercharger would be a waste of cash but ill look into JoeZ intake and exhaust but i want the IS350 to handle better aswell. kinda like a track set-up
Old 12-05-15, 04:48 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

^ suspension mods will be your answer then!
Old 12-05-15, 08:27 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your best bet for more power is to start with a car that already has that. Why buy a slow car and try and make it fast? Enjoy the IS350 for what it is. No matter how much money you throw into the car you will never get it back. At most you will have a hard time stripping off the parts for a 50% return on sale.... Most people will low ball you and most likely the parts will take forever to sell if they do at all. If you leave the car modded don't expect anything more than typical resale value..... Thousands in mods will NOT increase the value of the car. More than likely it will limit your possible customer base.

Next a powerful car is a death trap in the wrong hands! If you want to have fun with a car LEARN HOW TO DRIVE! Take a high performance driving class and learn the quickest way around a track. Your first mods should be suspension, brake & then power.

Learn how to balance weight transfer at the limit of traction when rounding your favorite corner of a track. Go through suspension settings and dial in your car. Pick up speed when you gain experience.

Driving a fast car without experience is just taking a chance and rolling the dice with your life/luck. If you respect the power of a high performance car you will live much longer as you will drive the car slower than you do an underpowered vehicle.

If you can't afford track days and want to push the limit of an engine block, by increasing power, for bragging rights you have more money than brains. A 1,000 hp car in the hands of a normal male will be the ultimate **** fest at your local cars and coffee. I would rather be the guy that gives rides in a Miata and scares the crap out of any passenger that gets in.
Old 12-05-15, 10:21 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oscar55773
yeah ill look into that, now that i see these i see that a supercharger would be a waste of cash but ill look into JoeZ intake and exhaust but i want the IS350 to handle better aswell. kinda like a track set-up
Then you should definitely go with some nice sway bars and coilovers. And afterwards try and get the steering ecu from an ISF. It will make a huge difference for sure .
Old 12-07-15, 04:56 AM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I only swapped out the front seats for bucket seats and lost 73lbs in the process..lol
Originally Posted by Tro209
How did you remove so much weight from the car? Did you have to gut the interior?
Old 12-07-15, 10:25 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
But in all honesty i think the real way to go is to just improve the cars handling characteristics and feel. To do that I'd recommend you getting the front and rear F-Sport sway bars, some good coilovers, and an IS-F steering ECU...

Those 3 upgrades should completely transform your car compared to adding slight power gains. And if you really feel the need to think your going faster just add an exhaust
I concur with this recommendation. In addition to these 3 upgrades, I recommend adding the F-Sport Rear Chassis Brace to improve the responsiveness of the chassis.

Upgrading the front OEM LCA bushings to stiffer bushings will also compliment the IS-F Steering ECU by further improving the steering feel and feedback.

Lighter wheels with stickier tires are a worthwhile upgrade for make a noticeable difference with acceleration, braking, and cornering.

The 2IS is a very capable platform which is why I intend on keeping my car until I run it to the ground!
Old 12-07-15, 10:03 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Redspencer where did you get the 2011 ISF steering ECU and how much? Thank

Quick Reply: Is350