Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fun to drive but slower than auto....nice brake job
Old 01-14-16, 01:02 PM
topspeed55
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gville350
FYI, just to save you time down the road, you might want to go ahead and hit those coated caliper with a real coat of high-temp caliper paint. That black coating ("paint") wears off quickly; mine was stating to chip and fade at only 31k miles when I purchased my 2IS.
werd, to add to the injury we have saltt roads here
Old 01-14-16, 06:40 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome job Jeff!! ... Can't wait to see the final results!

Reading your thread makes me want to go and give my IS some love again... There's a few things I've been meaning to get done... But I've been ignoring her lately because I recently picked up an 88 Corolla GTS.
Old 01-15-16, 09:15 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very impressive, nice job and congrats !
Old 01-15-16, 10:25 AM
dtl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jeff, impressive build! I'm following your progress and it really gets me thinking about doing this one day in the future. I love my 6mt 250 but something like this would definitely set it apart. One question I have for you is if you ever considered the ISF (2UR-GSE) engine? I know it's coupled to an 8 speed automatic so it would probably need a lot more retrofitting but would the RA62 be able to handle the 5.0 V8? Thanks

Last edited by dtl; 01-15-16 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-15-16, 10:46 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Astounding! You might have a nice side business going on soon . I bet your inbox is full
Old 01-18-16, 09:51 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

FYI, just to save you time down the road, you might want to go ahead and hit those coated caliper with a real coat of high-temp caliper paint. That black coating ("paint") wears off quickly; mine was stating to chip and fade at only 31k miles when I purchased my 2IS.
I've thought about it, and may in the future, but they're on the car and I actually kind of like the factory coating, so I think I'll stick with it for now and reassess when/if I start seeing any issues with the coating. Only plan is to put a Lexus caliper decal on there.

Originally Posted by nikogio38
Fun to drive but slower than auto....nice brake job
The amount of extra fun is so much more than the small amount slower it would be in uses I don't even use the car for (track driving). There are different products made for different purposes, the manual transmission is not the superior option that it once was for track driving as far as pure speed goes, but it's still got a certain charm that is undeniable for some. I'd drive an IS250 6MT over an IS350 6AT any day I think, but that's just me.

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Awesome job Jeff!! ... Can't wait to see the final results!

Reading your thread makes me want to go and give my IS some love again... There's a few things I've been meaning to get done... But I've been ignoring her lately because I recently picked up an 88 Corolla GTS.
There's still things I'd like to do to mine, but things cost money. I feel you about the Corolla GT-S too, my 86 takes a lot of "love" to keep happy.

Originally Posted by dtl
Hey Jeff, impressive build! I'm following your progress and it really gets me thinking about doing this one day in the future. I love my 6mt 250 but something like this would definitely set it apart. One question I have for you is if you ever considered the ISF (2UR-GSE) engine? I know it's coupled to an 8 speed automatic so it would probably need a lot more retrofitting but would the RA62 be able to handle the 5.0 V8? Thanks
The 2UR-GSE would definitely be a delight to drive with a manual, but you're right, it would be a lot of custom work to fit a manual transmission to it, and on top of that, you'd need many other custom parts.... maybe one day...

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Astounding! You might have a nice side business going on soon . I bet your inbox is full
This is pretty much a one-time thing for now, I don't have any plans to do it for anyone else in any shape or form, unfortunately. Life is busy and getting busier by the day, my car is a one-off.

No new updates right now, will post when I have some! Likely going to get the plastics and mouldings installed in the next week or so.

Jeff
Old 01-19-16, 05:43 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
I've thought about it, and may in the future, but they're on the car and I actually kind of like the factory coating, so I think I'll stick with it for now and reassess when/if I start seeing any issues with the coating. Only plan is to put a Lexus caliper decal on there.
After you install the decal, apply quite a few layers of high temp clear coat; it'll help keep that decal on there AND protect that factory coating.
Old 01-20-16, 08:47 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

After you install the decal, apply quite a few layers of high temp clear coat; it'll help keep that decal on there AND protect that factory coating.
Yeah, it's a decent idea that I had considered, I'll see once I get the decals on if I even like them, lol.

Jeff
Old 01-21-16, 01:43 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^I've had many folks tell me my Lexus decals looked as if they came from the factory like that. If done right (and I'm sure you can accomplish that LOL!), it'll look factory and tasteful. Mine calipers were re-painted in a semi-gloss black with a white decal. Like 6 layers of clear or something crazy over it all.
Old 01-22-16, 12:35 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I highly recommend the MotoGFX decals. They seriously look OEM
Old 01-22-16, 08:08 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Interesting, I will have to check them out.

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 01-22-16, 09:19 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Jeff,

If you haven't already found someone, maybe these guys could help you with your limp mode issue and possibly tune your 3.5L in the process: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...e-finally.html

they are tuning the IS-F ECU and are able to disable some CEL's in the tuning process and might be able to help.

Just a thought. GL
Old 01-22-16, 09:30 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by jadu
Jeff,

If you haven't already found someone, maybe these guys could help you with your limp mode issue and possibly tune your 3.5L in the process: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...e-finally.html

they are tuning the IS-F ECU and are able to disable some CEL's in the tuning process and might be able to help.

Just a thought. GL
It is interesting, and we'll see how much they're able to do. Looking forward to seeing what they offer in the future and if they're able to help me if I need it. We shall see.

Jeff
Old 01-23-16, 03:38 PM
is350uk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
It is interesting, and we'll see how much they're able to do. Looking forward to seeing what they offer in the future and if they're able to help me if I need it. We shall see.

Jeff
jeff have you tried taking your car on the road for a spin to see if the car drives normal altho it has cel light? it may just drive normal .

Quick Reply: Building an IS350 6MT