IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ECM removal/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 01:54 PM
jstatoyota
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM removal/replacement

To be straight up front I joined this forum, for now, simply to ask a question. My car threw a code, drivability and fuel mileage is excellent as always (aside from no traction control...now that there is snow on the ground), I have yet to get my mechanic to connect it to a scanner. My worry is that it might be P0606, replace pcm/ecm. I had the code a couple months ago, recommended "fix" was to reset and see if it reoccurs. So what my question boils down to is: how do I pull the ECU to check for signs of damage, and how would I reinstall it? Is there a sequence of events that must be followed? Would it need to be programmed upon reinstallation? I know where the ECU is, and I know I must disconnect the battery first. That's the extent of my knowledge. I've played around quite a bit with cars, but have never EVER had to deal with a faulty ECU. In advance, thanks for any advice.
Old 11-24-15, 05:15 AM
jstatoyota
Driver School Candidate

Does nobody have any idea about this? I wouldn't mind knowing the procedure before I go to my tech to see if its the P0606 code again. Kitchener Heffner Lexus is an hour and a half away, and I'll be damned if I pay them $118 an hour to trace back a problem I could look into here for half that rate, on a USED CAR. Heck, the cars I owned 10 years ago I could've figured this out for free, by doing it myself.

EDIT: before I make an *%^hat of myself, to clarify its an 09 IS250 6MT. Pretty sure its all standard procedure though.

Last edited by jstatoyota; 11-24-15 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-24-15, 05:33 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Why not head over to the local AutoZone, where they will read the codes for free. (and reset them if you want to get your traction control back) While it may seem probable that it's the same issue you had a few months ago, it's also possible that it's something else. I'd want to know before wasting time troubleshooting.
Old 11-24-15, 06:01 AM
jstatoyota
Driver School Candidate

No, I live in the sticks lol. We don't even have a decent Canadian Tire in the closest town to me. I've had other customers come in while my car was on the hoist, and you might as well have put an alien spacecraft up there. Oh well. I'll have to update my profile, I haven't had a chance to log in with my computer yet. By the way, I've unhooked my battery and opened up the ECM box (never unplugged anything though). Nothing loose, no signs of water intrusion. Funny thing tho, my fuel mileage computer and radio settings all reset. Well...I just had my car in for the fuel sensor seal recall. Had the trans replaced last year. Both done by Lexus. I swear to god they never unplugged the damn battery!
Old 11-24-15, 02:42 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You're trying to diagnose something before even pulling the code. You need to get the code before you start doing anything at all.
Old 11-24-15, 07:46 PM
jstatoyota
Driver School Candidate

I was just doing as my mechanic suggested. It's winter tire season, nearly impossible to get in on short notice. Figured since I had to leave it unhooked for 20 mins to reset the computer, might as well take that time to check the ECM box. We'll see if it re-occurs.
Old 12-05-15, 09:36 PM
jstatoyota
Driver School Candidate

Just to follow up on things, the light came back on not long after my last post. I took my car to the local Toyota dealership. Cost me under 100 dollars to have them check the data logs, and they found a bad secondary O2 sensor was causing the P0606 code (yes, was still the same code). Seems to intermittently act up. Should be able to afford the repair next pay.