IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Everything is leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-15, 03:52 PM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation Everything is leaking!

The dealer says my rear shocks, transmission (6mt) input and output shaft seals, valve cover gaskets, and water pump are all leaking. I need to figure out what is do-able by myself and what is a fair price if I can't. I'm overwhelmed atm. I have found a DIY for the water pump and I actually have already bought one (sitting in my trunk), but nothing else.
Old 11-13-15, 05:10 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Valve cover gaskets, shocks, and water pump you can replace yourself. While youre at the valve covers, replace the spark plugs if you already haven't. Those 3 are easy. for the input shaft seal, you'll have to have the transmission removed to get to it.
Old 11-13-15, 08:08 PM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mike_1GO
Valve cover gaskets, shocks, and water pump you can replace yourself. While youre at the valve covers, replace the spark plugs if you already haven't. Those 3 are easy. for the input shaft seal, you'll have to have the transmission removed to get to it.
thanks man, do you happen to know where i can find any repair manuals or DIY's for the valve covers/spark plugs, and the shocks? i was only able to find one for the water pump. The tranny leak apparently looks like "it has been leaking for a while" I had no idea, and haven't noticed anything strange, so i'm gonna live with it for now. The dealer topped off the tranny oil for me when it was in for an oil change the other day, so i''ll just have them do that every oil change and call it good. dropping the tranny and >1400 bucks is a little much. hell they wanted 800 for the water pump and 400 for the valve cover gaskets. i think it was over 1000 for the shocks too.
Old 11-13-15, 08:52 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Rock auto for the shocks & Harbor freight for the spring compressors. Just changed everything on my RX and felt good. Saved a ton too. Just go SLOW(lol. No choice really with these spring compressors. but hey, price is right.) & careful and it's all good.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...set-61654.html

Final cost
$380 for Monroe shocks, tools $450. Labor took all day chill'n. Was relaxing. Oh & alignment. Doh!
Old 11-13-15, 09:42 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Might as well get coilovers
Old 11-13-15, 10:20 PM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Go to Rock auto for the shocks & Harbor freight for the spring compressors. Just changed everything on my RX and felt good. Saved a ton too. Just go SLOW(lol. No choice really with these spring compressors. but hey, price is right.) & careful and it's all good.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...set-61654.html

Final cost
$380 for Monroe shocks, tools $450. Labor took all day chill'n. Was relaxing. Oh & alignment. Doh!
I prefer to keep everything stock. how are those monroe shocks? an no coilers, i like my comfy ride!
Old 11-14-15, 12:07 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Monroe's are fine. Didn't notice a difference. I will tell you not to get their strut bellows as they have added an extra noise factor to the ride. Every time I go over a speed bump it's rather noisy. I'm hoping they break in over time like tennis shoes.
Otherwise same ride same boat feeling. A cruiser!
Attached Thumbnails Everything is leaking!-amg_k90461_p04_ang__ra_p.jpg  
Old 11-14-15, 07:14 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

are your shocks blown? I was under the assumption that a little leak was normal. When my shocks blew I switched over to Megan Lp coils since they were about the same price as replacing both my rear shocks. If you keep it on the softer setting it runs as smooth or even smoother than stock.

If you are really bent on staying stock you can check the FS section as many people sell there OEM suspension once they upgrade.

As for your spark plug question
Use this as a reference

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...g-service.html

Good luck!
Old 11-14-15, 11:26 AM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Icy350
are your shocks blown? I was under the assumption that a little leak was normal. When my shocks blew I switched over to Megan Lp coils since they were about the same price as replacing both my rear shocks. If you keep it on the softer setting it runs as smooth or even smoother than stock.

If you are really bent on staying stock you can check the FS section as many people sell there OEM suspension once they upgrade.

As for your spark plug question
Use this as a reference

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...g-service.html

Good luck!
Megan LP huh, sounds interesting. i was under the impression that coilovers were a. expensive, and b. either too rough for ride or when the settings are turned down too soft and the car loses its dynamics

Last edited by Fojo; 11-14-15 at 11:41 AM. Reason: car, not"bar"
Old 11-14-15, 01:01 PM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Doing some more research, I'm really liking reviews of the Koni FSD shocks. They sound pretty sex. Does anyone have any experience with them or know where i should get them from?
Old 11-14-15, 07:25 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fojo
Megan LP huh, sounds interesting. i was under the impression that coilovers were a. expensive, and b. either too rough for ride or when the settings are turned down too soft and the car loses its dynamics
I can only answer part a for you as I think ride settings are preferential. What's comfortable to me may not be comfortable to you.

Vendors on here sell
Megan EZ for roughly 680
Megan LP for roughly 850
Bc coils for about 950

My local dealer wanted 400 per shock. Only reason I was more inclined to get coils.
Old 11-14-15, 07:36 PM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Icy350
I can only answer part a for you as I think ride settings are preferential. What's comfortable to me may not be comfortable to you.

Vendors on here sell
Megan EZ for roughly 680
Megan LP for roughly 850
Bc coils for about 950

My local dealer wanted 400 per shock. Only reason I was more inclined to get coils.
stock is the threshold of comfort for me i guess. I would like something more comfy. I read that Koni FSD shocks can improve handling/sportiness AND comfort at the same time. I did a lot of research and everyone raves about the prett much. You have LPs? how is the ride compared to stock? I don't want anything too complicated either. Its my daily driver and I'm not tracking it or anything like that, only take a freeway onramp or offramp in a sporty manner every once in a while
Old 11-15-15, 06:24 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fojo
stock is the threshold of comfort for me i guess. I would like something more comfy. I read that Koni FSD shocks can improve handling/sportiness AND comfort at the same time. I did a lot of research and everyone raves about the prett much. You have LPs? how is the ride compared to stock? I don't want anything too complicated either. Its my daily driver and I'm not tracking it or anything like that, only take a freeway onramp or offramp in a sporty manner every once in a while

I don't track my car either as its my DD. The Lp I guess would be comparable to stock for me. I have a 1 finger gap all around and it's still extremely comfortable. I think you seem pretty set on the konis. If you decide to get them lmk how they are!
Old 11-15-15, 08:01 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Some people have had noise issues with coilovers. Even with "decent" brands, like BC. Can get a clunk sound going over bumps. Not all, but some. I'm one of them, but my coils are off brand. If you don't want to improve handling or lower the car, I'd stick with stock springs and replacement shocks.Both Koni and Tokico have a good rep, but a quick search tells me you are into $600 for Tokico and Koni will be more. That will not replace springs either. The other problem with coilovers that cost less than $2k is inconsistent spring rates and questionable adjustment on the dampers. I don't know if your springs need replacing or not. Frankly, I'm not going to check on prices for you either. Some people think monroe are just fine. Others, not so much. I think they get a bad rep just because they are inexpensive and plentiful, but I think you'd like the ride of the Koni or Tokico better. Assuming you have the tools, except spring compressors and are a handy guy, you can do this yourself. Nice to have someone help you though. trying to line the shock up to the bolt holes in the rear is a PITA without help.
Old 11-15-15, 09:03 AM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by scott1256c
Some people have had noise issues with coilovers. Even with "decent" brands, like BC. Can get a clunk sound going over bumps. Not all, but some. I'm one of them, but my coils are off brand. If you don't want to improve handling or lower the car, I'd stick with stock springs and replacement shocks.Both Koni and Tokico have a good rep, but a quick search tells me you are into $600 for Tokico and Koni will be more. That will not replace springs either. The other problem with coilovers that cost less than $2k is inconsistent spring rates and questionable adjustment on the dampers. I don't know if your springs need replacing or not. Frankly, I'm not going to check on prices for you either. Some people think monroe are just fine. Others, not so much. I think they get a bad rep just because they are inexpensive and plentiful, but I think you'd like the ride of the Koni or Tokico better. Assuming you have the tools, except spring compressors and are a handy guy, you can do this yourself. Nice to have someone help you though. trying to line the shock up to the bolt holes in the rear is a PITA without help.
Thanks for the input! The Koni FSD is made to use the stock springs so if I didn't want to replace those then I'm good! I was thinking about upgrading to swift springs because I have heard a lot of really positive reviews on those as well. The drop is around 1" f and .8" r from what I gather. That seems perfect. I wonder if anyone has gone with a similar setup? I have a buddy that is a dodge mechanic and he has a spring compressor and all the tools. I used to be an aircraft mechanic myself so we are more than capable! Definitely leaning towards those konis, and possibly the swift springs I'm really curious as to the function. And since not many people have done that then I'll be sure to write a nice review!

I love hearing input from you guys that know more about suspension and stuff so please keep the comments coming. We can never have enough info

Quick Reply: Everything is leaking!