IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What the... Dealership wiring harness fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-15, 11:17 PM
WOLFGREY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the... Dealership wiring harness fix? **UPDATED**

So I finally took my IS in for the recalls because DMV won't renew registration until the ELF recall is done. After a couple miles on the highway after pick-up, the CHECK VSC CHRISTMAS TREE comes on. By the time I get home the service dept is closed so I do some research about why CHECK VSC happens - Results are MAF, gas cap seal/gasket and a couple others. No big deal, I figure I can troubleshoot -I usually can anyway. So I pop the hood and what do I see?

No seriously what am I looking at here?

During the process they broke some of the connectors on the wiring harness. This is how they decided to fix them. ??? They would have been better off lying to me about how they were old or weathered or something. I take my engine covers off before I take it in for service- (1) so they can't damage them( I'm planning on painting them) and (2) I can inspect the reassembly, anything out of place.

Anyone have any experience dealing with the dealership covering up any damages that they caused?

**UPDATE** 11/11/2015
The dealership just called and said the VSC was tripped by an evap code. They said the gas cap wasn't locking down and that there are some holes in some evap hoses. He said they cleared all the codes let it sit, and now I'm good to go. I really hope that's all it is. Should be a simple fix.

*As to the glue/crap/BS on the wiring harness connectors, he said the mech told him that "he does that to all of them to prevent them from shaking off during driving."

Just my observation, but it looks like the tab on the VVT connector is broken. Why didn't he put the crap on the other VVT connector? Trust me this thread is my personal record of facts and statements. There is a complaint coming if when I pull that gunk off the connector is broken.

Thanks for all the insight and part numbers, needed to vent.

Last edited by WOLFGREY; 11-11-15 at 04:16 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 11-10-15, 06:45 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

If they (or you) want to get replacement connectors to properly repair the harness, the connectors are available separately and are somewhat easy to change:

Throttle Body: 90980-11858
Purge VSV: 90980-11156
VVT-i OCV: 90980-11162

Jeff
Old 11-10-15, 07:07 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Just a note. I had the check vsc after doing the vvt actuator recall. They ended up tearing my engine apart 2 or 3 times just to find a missing filter on one of the oil lines, and a piece of trash in the oil control valve.
Old 11-10-15, 08:56 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is why I don't like anyone else to touch my stuff.

Not just car specific issues, but anything where people would normally hire someone to do the work, I have learned that I am better off figuring out how to do it myself than risking 50/50 if someone else will mess it up and I will still have to deal with a headache.
Old 11-10-15, 03:19 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Its normal for connectors to break on older cars with 75k+ miles. I've done a ton of ELFs on V6s and V8s. They just break.. There's really nothing you can do. It does look like crap but the dealer or Lexus wont pay to have broken connectors replaced. There's a lot more reasons why the check engine light/vsc will come on. You wont know why until the car is scanned.
Old 11-10-15, 05:19 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by getafewliv
This is why I don't like anyone else to touch my stuff.

Not just car specific issues, but anything where people would normally hire someone to do the work, I have learned that I am better off figuring out how to do it myself than risking 50/50 if someone else will mess it up and I will still have to deal with a headache.
Ditto! If I cannot fix the problem it'll go to someone whom I trust, which I've had my mech rebuild prior engines for me. Man I'd be heated too if I saw some ghetto crap like and they didn't think it was pertinent to relay the mess to me. So a huge complaint would be going their way.
Btw you should always hook up your OBD scanner when you receive a mess on your dash.
Old 11-10-15, 06:02 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Othic
Its normal for connectors to break on older cars with 75k+ miles. I've done a ton of ELFs on V6s and V8s. They just break.. There's really nothing you can do. It does look like crap but the dealer or Lexus wont pay to have broken connectors replaced. There's a lot more reasons why the check engine light/vsc will come on. You wont know why until the car is scanned.
I completely understand that the connectors are prone to break (especially with older cars). However it is unacceptable to half-*** the connectors with RTV. Especially Lexus is obligated to perform the recall and should be responsible for any damage during the process.
Anyhow, i got multiple calls from (3) locals dealers about getting the recall done but i will be put it off since my smog isn't due until 2017 (unless i decide to sell the car).
Old 11-11-15, 04:11 PM
WOLFGREY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**UPDATE**
The dealership just called and said the VSC was tripped by an evap code. They said the gas cap wasn't locking down and that there are some holes in some evap hoses. He said they cleared all the codes let it sit, and now I'm good to go. I really hope that's all it is. Should be a simple fix.

*As to the glue/crap/BS on the wiring harness connectors, he said the mech told him that "he does that to all of them to prevent them from shaking off during driving."

Just my observation, but it looks like the tab on the VVT connector is broken. Why didn't he put the crap on the other VVT connector? Trust me this thread is my personal record of facts and statements. There is a complaint coming if when I pull that gunk off the connector is broken.

Thanks for all the insight and part numbers, needed to vent.
Old 11-11-15, 04:17 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

I can tell just looking at the picture that at least 2 of those connectors are broken. The locking tab is missing on the VVT-i OCV connector and is not in the lock position on the purge VSV. The throttle body/motor connector I cannot tell from the picture.

Jeff
Old 11-11-15, 04:39 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

The idiot working on it broke them and his sup probably said cover it up. Hhhmmmm or the idiot himself thought he could hide it and no one would notice it.
Old 11-12-15, 06:16 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by srt1
The idiot working on it broke them and his sup probably said cover it up. Hhhmmmm or the idiot himself thought he could hide it and no one would notice it.
Seriously? Have you ever worked on older cars or cars at all? Think of all that heat in the engine bay and how all that plastic is exposed to it. Its going to break sooner or later. And no, supervisors don't say 'cover it up'. 90% of the ELFs I've has had broken connectors. I would fix it the same way. Just not as much rtv, that's just over kill.
Old 11-15-15, 11:54 AM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Which dealership is this?

I'm about to take my car in for the ELF recall due to DMV registration being due.

Just got my car back. Fortunately, no issue.

Last edited by TakaM; 11-20-15 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-16-15, 06:45 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Othic
Seriously? Have you ever worked on older cars or cars at all? Think of all that heat in the engine bay and how all that plastic is exposed to it. Its going to break sooner or later. And no, supervisors don't say 'cover it up'. 90% of the ELFs I've has had broken connectors. I would fix it the same way. Just not as much rtv, that's just over kill.
LMFAO
Ummm no I have never ever ever worked on cars before, or my boat, or my 64'Impala! Classic right there.