IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is it ever OK to NOT do the safety recalls?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-15, 12:19 PM
Miggles
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it ever OK to NOT do the safety recalls?

I have a 2006 IS 350 which has ran like a dream all of the way up to it's current 120,000 miles.
I've done all the work myself after the original warranty expired. It's been pretty much all service maintenance work, oil, suspension, brakes, belts, plugs, hoses, etc...

I got a call from Lexus today telling me that I had something like 9 unperformed safety recall instances. They were very insistent that I get in there ASAP to have these take care of.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but should I get all of these recalls done?

Here's the thing... I've driven the car (in a fun way) for 120k miles without any major issues. It's never stalled, stuttered... nothing. So the idea of the service guys taking apart my engine to change the valve springs, or the fuel system for the pressure sensor makes me nervous.

It's well out of warranty now so if the disassembling and reassembling of lots of stuff (9 recalls) causes a major issue, then it's on me. I'm aware that if a recalled part failed it would also be on me; however, I honestly don't feel like my car actually has the defective parts for which these recalls were created.
  • Has anyone just not gotten this work done?
  • Are my concerns unfounded?
  • Should I swing by and have them do all of it?

I appreciate any input.

Last edited by Miggles; 11-02-15 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-02-15, 01:09 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

At first... I thought you were an idiot but after reading your reason why... you have a valid concern. Yes the recalls are free and necessary but you say u have no issues. It is very possible that they find something that will cost more than free or cause something to go wrong in the process.

When and if you resell it will be an issue for the buyer. Hard place to be in because they could go through and do all the recalls and you get all fresh stuff... they can do it and say hey look what we found $$$$$... or you can keep rolling as is and hope nothing happens. It's an interesting situation cause most of can't wait for recall work to get approved. Don't know anyone who hasn't jumped on that.

I would personally take it in ... you may be months, weeks, days away from disaster and then it's too late.

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 11-02-15 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-02-15, 01:11 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

You've missed out on a lot of free gas by not having them done one at a time.

I have an '06 IS350 with similar mileage. I've had all the recalls done, and I've never had a problem with the car stuttering or stalling, or any other problem related to a recall for that matter. If I had, I would have expected that the dealer would make it right.

NHTSA would not have required, and Lexus would not have endured the huge of cost these recall campaigns if there were not genuine safety concerns. I would have the work done.
Old 11-02-15, 01:14 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

That's up to you to decide. I just had the vvt actuator done after I bought mine. They ended up having to take the engine apart 3 or 4 times to figure out why the vsc light was on afterwards. Think it ended up being a piece of trash in the oil control valve. Not a penny spent on my end. Besides that, I've never had any other problems with recalls being done on cars so I'm not exactly sure as to the process if something is broken after the recall is done.

I'd take it in, but that's just me.
Old 11-02-15, 01:49 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

If it ain't broke... I'm not getting the recalls done. Car runs perfect, why mess with it. I read stories of other having issues after the recalls. BTW, who called, the dealer or corp? Big difference, the dealers just want the $$$ from corp.

If/when you sell it, the new buyer can get all the stuff done (if they want), it's a non-issue.
Old 11-02-15, 01:59 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

^LOVE the updated garage sig pic Timbo!

Back to the topic at hand, in my opinion, I'd forego any recalls that are truly unnecessary until you actually starting having the issue the recall is to fix. In my case, I started having the VVT cam gear rattle at start-up; I put my 2IS in for the recall. To this day I still have yet to do the fuel sensor recall, and I won't until I go in for the dash/door panel stickiness recall. I'd rather them not do the fuel sensor recall AT ALL; however, I'm sure they'd insist. So not worth fighting about it.

Yes, not having the recalls performed when selling the vehicle might bring up some issues with the buyer. But it's not like the new owner couldn't get them all done post-sale.
Old 11-03-15, 02:43 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be smart. Your car is running fine now but what about later? The recalls are because of safety issues. And all the work is warranted. 9 recalls is excessive. And I'm assuming some of them are pretty serious.
Old 11-03-15, 02:55 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never got the one for the internal trunk release handle done. The last thing I want is some drugged up 12 year old kid popping the trunk open on the highway and falling out.

I personally, in your situation wouldn't worry about them unless you start getting the cam gear rattle on startup.
Old 11-03-15, 03:06 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Same here! I dont normally bring the car in for recall unless it is safety or performance related. I still haven't done the latest Fuel leak recall yet and also got calls from several dealers in the area (they just want money;-) i think i might have to bring it in eventually because i need it completed for CA smog check.
Old 11-03-15, 03:26 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

something to keep in mind.

if something happens and you or someone else gets hurt and it is found that the incident/accident/whatever was a result of the safety recalls not being completed, you can be held responsible, and your insurance can deny payment or coverage if it is proven that you knew about them and failed to act.

just something to keep in mind.
Old 11-03-15, 03:46 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
something to keep in mind.

if something happens and you or someone else gets hurt and it is found that the incident/accident/whatever was a result of the safety recalls not being completed, you can be held responsible, and your insurance can deny payment or coverage if it is proven that you knew about them and failed to act.

just something to keep in mind.
Exactly what I thought when I read his post. If those bolts back out on your cam gears and Lexus seew you declined the recall, they may deny repairs needed caused by you declining the recall.
Old 11-04-15, 09:23 AM
tnoice
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had some recall work done on our FJ that i had postponed for 4 years and it seemed that the dealership took it more as an opportunity to give you a laundry list of things they wanted you to have done besides the recall work. As i explained to them....i only brought the car in for you to completely the recall work....LEAVE THE REST OF IT ALONE!
Old 11-04-15, 09:36 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by tnoice
I just had some recall work done on our FJ that i had postponed for 4 years and it seemed that the dealership took it more as an opportunity to give you a laundry list of things they wanted you to have done besides the recall work. As i explained to them....i only brought the car in for you to completely the recall work....LEAVE THE REST OF IT ALONE!
On the other hand, having the dealer perform needed services while they are doing recall work could save you money. Several posters have mentioned that they were able to get their spark plugs replaced during the valve spring recall for little more than the cost of parts.
Old 11-04-15, 04:03 PM
Othic
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tnoice
Maybe if you did maintenance more often you wouldn't have a laundry list.
Old 11-04-15, 07:37 PM
tnoice
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Othic
Maybe if you did maintenance more often you wouldn't have a laundry list.
Are you kidding me!?! They told me they needed to change my spark plugs, brake fluid, cabin filter, and air filter. It has a TRD life time filter and The vehicle had 78,000 miles on it and I had changed all of those at 75,000 and cleaned the filter. They also said that I needed a new passenger front cv boot. So that I did take to my trusted mechanic to have a second opinion, and he said there was nothing wrong with the boot.

They are not going to find a revenue stream on my dime. I take incredible care of ALL of my vehicles. You can ask my wife, they are all my children.

Not all dealerships act this way. i have had a great experience from the Lexus dealership that I purchased my IS350 from and the Porsche dealership that I had the Boxster serviced at......but definitely not this particular Toyota dealership. That is the prime reason I put the recall off for so long, they have a bit of a reputation. Yelp or Google reviews would tell you that.

Last edited by tnoice; 11-04-15 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Is it ever OK to NOT do the safety recalls?