IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should a respray hold up as good as factory?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-15, 06:26 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should a respray hold up as good as factory?

I had my bumper repainted last spring from a respectable shop in town for about $500. I only drive my car on the weekends and put on about 10k or a little less since. Some highway driving and some around town. Well the bumper looks like hell again with chips in it. In my opinion a repaint doesnt hold up any where near the paint from the factory. I know there are a lot of factors involved such as the prep work, products, driving style, etc. Just wondering what you guys think. I almost want to take this back and ask the guy if this is normal wear and tear.
Old 10-11-15, 12:02 PM
jroyal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
I had my bumper repainted last spring from a respectable shop in town for about $500. I only drive my car on the weekends and put on about 10k or a little less since. Some highway driving and some around town. Well the bumper looks like hell again with chips in it. In my opinion a repaint doesnt hold up any where near the paint from the factory. I know there are a lot of factors involved such as the prep work, products, driving style, etc. Just wondering what you guys think. I almost want to take this back and ask the guy if this is normal wear and tear.
All dependent on the quality of work and the products used. IMO if you paid $500 from a reputable shop they were using **** paint. You get what you pay for and if you do pay for a quality respray it will hold up just as well if not better than factory paint.
Old 10-11-15, 04:16 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jroyal
All dependent on the quality of work and the products used. IMO if you paid $500 from a reputable shop they were using **** paint. You get what you pay for and if you do pay for a quality respray it will hold up just as well if not better than factory paint.
Ah im not to sure $500 is a cheap job. From what i heard on here and other forums when I had a VW $500 is about right for a bumper respray. I know the owner, he has done work on my familes cars for the past 15 years. I may just stop and show him what it looks like.
Old 10-12-15, 10:08 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Any paint (oem or factory) will chip.

If you want to protect your investment, clear bra, such as Xpel or Suntek, is the best way to prevent rock chips over time. For best protection, I would recommend wrapping the full hood, full front fenders, and bumper. You may also choose to wrap the front of the mirrors as well as the strip above the windshield.

-Zach
Old 10-12-15, 01:22 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

For $500, my shop would have done 3-4 coats of clear. For $200, I had my hood resprayed and had a single stage of clear. Wish I had paid for more coats right now.
Old 10-12-15, 01:33 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't forget flex agent especially on plastic bumpers. Most shops will not use them because they're expensive.
Old 10-12-15, 02:56 PM
SebaPR
Driver

to prevent highway chips get clear bra for bumper/hood. i bought my 06 and apparently (from analyzing door seems or what you call it) its beeen completely resprayed by the prev owner like a year or two ago and it looks so nice i thought it was oem (perfect mirror reflections little chipping feels smooth to touch) prov drived little or just didnt highway. i want a full polish/detail to remove the few wash swirls it has and want to clear bra the hood/bumper to preserve the nice job since my car sleeps outside and turd bombs on a hot hood is never good for the clear.

My 07 had hood/bumper resprayed 2 years ago 30k miles a year most highway and it looked all chipped again just like the oem paint so just get a clear bra if you highway much or sleep outside you wont regret it.

A friend of mine has it on his 13 subaru sti and only thing he regrets is doing half the hood instead of full since it looks so nice you cant even tell and prevents crud from getting cooked into the paint.
Old 10-12-15, 03:00 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A quality paintjob will hold up as well as the OEM paint Problem is finding a company that is willing to put the effort into it. Most don't give a **** and are trying to pump the car out as quickly as possible.
Old 10-13-15, 05:43 AM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

need a good shop here in ga for this work to be done
Old 10-13-15, 09:49 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

A good paint shop will give you lifetime warranty on the quality of the paint. Nothing special. However this comes with a high price. End of the day, you get what you pay for.
Old 10-14-15, 03:57 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Lol jesus some of you guys with the 'you get what you pay for' are acting like this was a $200 Maco paint job. $500 is not a cheap paint job. Plus my guy claims he uses all the best products. His work is guaranteed so im going to stop by and show him. Does anyone have pics of a resprayed front bumper and how many miles are on it?
Old 10-14-15, 04:09 PM
mlapag
Driver School Candidate

Lol jesus some of you guys with the 'you get what you pay for' are acting like this was a $200 Maco paint job. $500 is not a cheap paint job. Plus my guy claims he uses all the best products. His work is guaranteed so im going to stop by and show him. Does anyone have pics of a resprayed front bumper and how many miles are on it?
Resprayed about 3 months ago - Daily drive about 80 miles a day on the Washington DC beltway. A few small chips but holding up pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails Should a respray hold up as good as factory?-img_1648.jpg   Should a respray hold up as good as factory?-img_1652.jpg  
Old 10-14-15, 04:34 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mlapag
Resprayed about 3 months ago - Daily drive about 80 miles a day on the Washington DC beltway. A few small chips but holding up pretty well.
Thanks. But the real test will be how it looks after the winter and all the crap thats on the roads. Id like to see one with at least a year on it. How much was your job?

Last edited by flektone; 10-14-15 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-14-15, 06:24 PM
mlapag
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. But the real test will be how it looks after the winter and all the crap thats on the roads. Id like to see one with at least a year on it. How much was your job?
No doubt about that. Luckily, I will be relocating closer to my office.

Lexus covered this respray - I worked it into the CPO deal. However $500 seems par for the course. My previous 335i was resprayed for just under 600 and that included a few touch up spots on the hood. The amount of prep work drives the price quite a bit. In our case, it is limited.

Can't hurt to bring it back. Good luck.
Old 10-15-15, 02:57 AM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Any paint (oem or factory) will chip.

If you want to protect your investment, clear bra, such as Xpel or Suntek, is the best way to prevent rock chips over time. For best protection, I would recommend wrapping the full hood, full front fenders, and bumper. You may also choose to wrap the front of the mirrors as well as the strip above the windshield.

-Zach
^ This. You didn't say why you got the bumper painted, but if it was for chips then I'd say this advice is a must.