IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front tire blew!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 08:09 PM
SparkLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front tire blew!

Hi. I bought my 2009 IS250 a few weeks ago, and the inner edge of the surface of the tire has split away from sidewall section, exposing brooking belt material on the right front tire. I notice that there is excessive wear on this inner section. I reached in and confirmed it is this way on the left front tire too. Should the tires wear this way? There is still tread left on the remaining parts of the tire. What's misadjusted? "Toe-in, camber, etc" aren't clear to me.

The tire seems to be a Dunlop Sport 5000, 225/45R17, which the net labels an "ultra high performance all-season radial" which seems reasonable for this car, I suppose.

Should I replace the two front tires with the same model tire, or change to something else? I live in Ohio, so I'd like to be able to drive in snow with my IS. I want to keep some handling quality too, of course.

Advice?

Thanks,
Karl
Old 10-02-15, 08:58 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

-They should not wear out this way unless you want and or need neg camber due to your offset.
-I believe your neg camber is the prob. Yes you may have a toe in prob but regardless you need an alignment asap.How are your bushings?
-Toe in or out is the wheel pointing inward or outward.
-Camber is wheel angled inward or outward.
This is my wording and hope it makes sense.
So are your lowered? How's the rest of your suspension look? Whens the last time you had an alignment?
-I know nada bout snow tiresso I'm sure guys out there will give you info on that.
Old 10-03-15, 05:37 AM
SparkLex
Rookie

Not lowered, no mods, should be a stock Lexus. Since the car is new to me, I have no idea what the last alignment showed, sadly, nor when it was done. I will definitely have everything looked at. Just not sure what tires to put on it yet.
Thanks!
Old 10-03-15, 05:55 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Depending on the rest of the tires tread you might wanna replace all. Usually it recommended to replace all four tires on the awd if one goes and like I said depend on the wear on the rest of the tires. You don't wanna mix match either.
Old 10-03-15, 02:53 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkLex
Not lowered, no mods, should be a stock Lexus. Since the car is new to me, I have no idea what the last alignment showed, sadly, nor when it was done. I will definitely have everything looked at. Just not sure what tires to put on it yet.
Thanks!
This is considered normal for stock Lexus within alignment specs. From what I understand, you have to align it differently than spec if you don't want inner wear or you need to buy some kind of metal tube, dura-something. Search the forum about inner tire wear.
Old 10-03-15, 06:08 PM
SparkLex
Rookie

Nosurprise, that's very interesting..... stock-adjusted IS cars will cause inner wear to the tires?? I would love to read up on this here, as you suggest. However, either I'm being very dense about searching (which I'm normally really good at) or the search utility on this forum software SUCKS! I can't get searches to be limited to the IS forum, and I found nothing on this subject even using "tire wear" as a search.

Before I received your reply, I had a garage install two tires and cancel out the camber to -0.8 degrees, down from -1.2. I wonder what a stock IS is set to.....
Old 10-03-15, 10:53 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nosurprise, that's very interesting..... stock-adjusted IS cars will cause inner wear to the tires?? I would love to read up on this here, as you suggest. However, either I'm being very dense about searching (which I'm normally really good at) or the search utility on this forum software SUCKS! I can't get searches to be limited to the IS forum, and I found nothing on this subject even using "tire wear" as a search.

Before I received your reply, I had a garage install two tires and cancel out the camber to -0.8 degrees, down from -1.2. I wonder what a stock IS is set to.....
Sports cars or sporty cars in general have inner tire wear. You should always inspect the inner part of the tire.
Old 10-03-15, 11:23 PM
KoalaFD
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Copied from an old thread here on CL, posted originally by lobuxracer:

Old 10-04-15, 02:37 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Nosurprise, that's very interesting..... stock-adjusted IS cars will cause inner wear to the tires?? I would love to read up on this here, as you suggest. However, either I'm being very dense about searching (which I'm normally really good at) or the search utility on this forum software SUCKS!
Actually I couldn't find it searching for inner tire wear either. But this is what I'm talking about. I considered getting it when I needed to change my front tires because of inner wear but didn't know about it until I research it and my tires were already changed with alignment.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/667583-figs-front-lower-arm-rear-mount-2-poly-bushing-90-duro-hp.html
Old 10-04-15, 04:13 PM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi. I bought my 2009 IS250 a few weeks ago, and the inner edge of the surface of the tire has split away from sidewall section, exposing brooking belt material on the right front tire. I notice that there is excessive wear on this inner section. I reached in and confirmed it is this way on the left front tire too. Should the tires wear this way? There is still tread left on the remaining parts of the tire. What's misadjusted? "Toe-in, camber, etc" aren't clear to me.

The tire seems to be a Dunlop Sport 5000, 225/45R17, which the net labels an "ultra high performance all-season radial" which seems reasonable for this car, I suppose.

Should I replace the two front tires with the same model tire, or change to something else? I live in Ohio, so I'd like to be able to drive in snow with my IS. I want to keep some handling quality too, of course.

Advice?

Thanks,
Karl
See post #38
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-normal-3.html
Old 10-05-15, 02:18 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Our vette doesn't wear that much if not at all. the "camber in " is so the tires grip when cornering. You could change it up slightly like u mentioned. Yes the search engine does suck a$$ on these forums. I would just google it instead cause you'll prob find it faster.
Old 10-05-15, 01:07 PM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by srt1
Our vette doesn't wear that much if not at all. the "camber in " is so the tires grip when cornering. You could change it up slightly like u mentioned. Yes the search engine does suck a$$ on these forums. I would just google it instead cause you'll prob find it faster.
yeah I've read somewhere that the toe keeps changing even though people have gotten it fixed due to the cornering issue
to OP, I would swap the tires together so there isn't uneven treads. correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you can also get stronger bushings to prevent your toe from changing too much
Old 10-05-15, 07:22 PM
SparkLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by valeoray
Yes! That's exactly what it looked like! Decent tread elsewhere, but bald tread at the very edge with belts finally showing through. Mine happened at highway speed too, but luckily didn't cause loss of control. I don't race around corners at 60mph, so I'm happier with the camber adjusted to zero.
Old 10-05-15, 09:06 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 324 Likes on 140 Posts

FIGs engineeering LCA rear mount urethane bushing is your best friend to prevent your inner tire from wear...
Old 10-10-15, 05:21 PM
SparkLex
Rookie

Thanks for all the help with this. I replaced the two front tires and had the camber set to 0 degrees. While reading through how many miles everyone had on their IS250's, someone referred to the "usual tire problems" with the IS250. If there's a way to search for tire problems on the IS250 on this board, I can't find it.

Am I going to be replacing tires on my new baby (2009) more often than other cars?

Thanks! Road trip starts Tuesday.....can't wait to spend time in her!

Quick Reply: Front tire blew!