Scratches on driver and passenger's windows

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-15, 06:18 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scratches on driver and passenger's windows

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2012 IS that I am happy with. However, the windows on the driver's side and passenger's side have these vertical micro-scratches roughly 1-2 inches in width going up the windows almost entirely. To me, this seems like a warranty issue because it can only be caused by a defect in the car's window-opening mechanism. This is purely a cosmetic issue.

I took the car to my local Lexus dealer recently and had them look at it. They were puzzled and said that they'll have to open the door panels to figure out what's going wrong. They'll have to provide me a loaner car so it seems like it could take them quite some time to find the issue. I am very busy so I had to schedule this a month from now, so I won't have any answers until then.

Any ideas of what the problem could be? Any advice on how I should go about getting this addressed?
Old 09-27-15, 11:51 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it on track correctly? Does the window move or is it stable? Off the top of my head thete are tabs to hold the door panel, that are 1" , and it might be rubbing against it?

What dealer ru taking it to? Some hook it up as others try to wiggle their way out of it. I currently have my panels off and will look at it today to figure out y, or what, the issue could possibly be.
Old 09-28-15, 02:20 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Yep, definitely a window-rubbing SOMETHING issue. Could be as simple as some moleskin missing near the top; but more than likely it's something inside the door itself.

Was the interior previously modified or the audio system? Could have been the previous owner having jacked it up by doing something or not doing something correcting inside the door.

Good luck!
Old 09-28-15, 04:13 PM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have scratch on the outside of the front passenger window too. 3" tall roughly but it is deep as if a razor did it.
Old 09-28-15, 07:40 PM
akanick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same thing however I bought this 2010 back in May. I'm 99% sure I didn't do anything to cause all my windows tints to get scratched and my passenger windows glass scratched bad when I rolled them up. Is there something I should do to see if the dealer could cover it or am I on my own?
Old 09-28-15, 07:57 PM
Lexusfixer
Rookie

I have seen this only once, we had a car on the lot that somebody roosted and mud and dirt covered the windows , lot attendant made the mistake of rolling down the windows before they were cleaned off, the rest is history, the glass was destroyed and had to be replaced along with the outer strips that were still holding glass scratching dirt.
Old 09-28-15, 08:01 PM
akanick
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexusfixer
I have seen this only once, we had a car on the lot that somebody roosted and mud and dirt covered the windows , lot attendant made the mistake of rolling down the windows before they were cleaned off, the rest is history, the glass was destroyed and had to be replaced along with the outer strips that were still holding glass scratching dirt.
I know you may not know about my situation but I might as well try. I purchased a used 2010 back in May and about two weeks ago I noticed a lot of vertical scratches when I rolled my windows up. The tint is scratched on every door windows and on my passenger rear the actual glass is scratched bad. I'm 99% sure I haven't done anything since May to cause this to happen. Should I even bother contacting the dealership or am I on my own?
Old 09-29-15, 04:07 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

These are the pics of driver door. I don't know what to tell you as I, and others, would need to see it in person.
As you can see nothing should be in the way. Maybe a dolt was not in and it moved up and down against the window? Something might have been jammed in there?

Old 02-10-23, 07:11 PM
r1supersta
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm going to dig this one up. I have these micro-scratches on both front door windows. I'm baffled. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-12-23, 08:47 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Question are these perfectly straight vertical lines?

One trip through a good dust storm, sand storm, or road construction can deposit sand, gravel, or other hard debris in the molding, and if not cleaned out, you hear this SCREECH sound telling you it needs cleaned.

I've used both compressed air and the garden hose along with plastic spudger tool and force the tool between the glass and seal run it along the entire length of the window while blasting air/water into the gap the spudger creates.

If you car is outdoors primarily, there will be some goop coming out.

On the inside I roll the window down and do the same thing with air.
Old 02-12-23, 09:31 AM
r1supersta
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

**EDIT**

I just took my DA and some fine swirl remover compound to both front door windows. Whatever crap was on it is gone now. I got tired of waiting for the dealer to get back to me on the replacement windows (it has been two months).

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Question are these perfectly straight vertical lines?

One trip through a good dust storm, sand storm, or road construction can deposit sand, gravel, or other hard debris in the molding, and if not cleaned out, you hear this SCREECH sound telling you it needs cleaned.

I've used both compressed air and the garden hose along with plastic spudger tool and force the tool between the glass and seal run it along the entire length of the window while blasting air/water into the gap the spudger creates.

If you car is outdoors primarily, there will be some goop coming out.

On the inside I roll the window down and do the same thing with air.
I alos posted this in the ES section:

The micro scratches are on the outside of the windows.

The first time I noticed it was when I had the car windows tinted @ 150 miles and two weeks old. The driver's door had a vertical band about 2-3" wide on the entire glass. I took the car back to the tint shop since that's what I thought it was. Turns out it was the glass. I went back to the dealership to have them look at it; they ended up ordering two windows. The pictures I posted in this thread are of the brand new windows, 2 hours old. Now I feel bad having to call the dealer again to discuss the issues. The windows are worse this time around vs the original ones.

Last edited by r1supersta; 03-20-23 at 06:42 AM.