IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Remote start options for 2IS but retain OEM key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 09:29 AM
roshedomv2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote start options for 2IS but retain OEM key fob?

I was looking to install a remote start system in my IS250, but as I was researching the install process and parts, I couldn't find a clear install process and what aftermarket system to use for the 2IS generation. Has anybody had success or experience with installing remote start system retaining only the oem key fob to activate that remote start?
Old 06-28-19, 11:24 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roshedomv2
I was looking to install a remote start system in my IS250, but as I was researching the install process and parts, I couldn't find a clear install process and what aftermarket system to use for the 2IS generation. Has anybody had success or experience with installing remote start system retaining only the oem key fob to activate that remote start?
Iv’e been working with the EVO ONE unit by Fortin. So far, I can remote start / stop, lock / unlock and open the truck with an aftermarket 3,500 ft range key fob. Took about 5 days (working on it for a few hours each night) and lots of back and forth with their tech support team.

The one one thing I haven’t been able to have the EVO ONE unit perform is the “key takeover” function which allows your to remote start the vehicle, get in and drive without having to re-start it. Currently, I can remote start it, unlock it and get in, but even though the vehicle detects the OEM Smart Key, when you tap the brake, the engine shuts off.

Tech support told me today that the EVO One unit is capable of learning my vehicle’s Can Bus network, which only requires connecting two additional wires from the OBD II port (and reprogramming the Evo One unit). They believe this will correct the key takeover function, but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet (will try when I get time).

with all the back and forth I had with tech support, Ive got wire color and harness locations (schematic) for the entire install (which I performed myself).

Ill keep you posted if I get the key takeover function to work, but if anyone wants the wiring info, just let me know as I’d be happy to share it.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention... the OEM Smart Key still functions just as it did before the install.
Old 06-29-19, 05:55 AM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the OP was asking whether or not there's a remote starter that will let you use the factory key fob, as opposed to an aftermarket key fob, to remote start the vehicle. Also interested in finding out about it.
Old 06-29-19, 07:16 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The OEM fob is the weakest link in the whole remote system. It has pitiful range, published as 80", and
they are tied to the official Lexus Enform Remote subscripted service. If you have a 2016 or newer and
want the phone functions you are going to have to put up with the stock fob limitations but if you are looking
to add remote functionality you can do much better with an aftermarket device. I understand the inconvenience
of the added bulk in your pocket/purse but 5 or 6 parking spaces distant starting is not useful. Some models
offer 2-way communication which enables you to confirm the car started while you are out of sight.
Old 06-29-19, 11:45 AM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
I think the OP was asking whether or not there's a remote starter that will let you use the factory key fob, as opposed to an aftermarket key fob, to remote start the vehicle. Also interested in finding out about it.
This system allows for that via an option. Once enabled, pressing “unlock-lock-unlock” remote starts the vehicle.
Old 06-29-19, 11:49 AM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Originally Posted by mcomer
The OEM fob is the weakest link in the whole remote system. It has pitiful range, published as 80", and
they are tied to the official Lexus Enform Remote subscripted service. If you have a 2016 or newer and
want the phone functions you are going to have to put up with the stock fob limitations but if you are looking
to add remote functionality you can do much better with an aftermarket device. I understand the inconvenience
of the added bulk in your pocket/purse but 5 or 6 parking spaces distant starting is not useful. Some models
offer 2-way communication which enables you to confirm the car started while you are out of sight.
The Evo system allows for both (telematics and 2-way long range RF) to be connected simultaneously. I have the telematics (phone control) add-on installed in my Tacoma and it works without a hitch (provided you have cell service). Also has GPS BUILT INTO THE APP, which could be nice if someone jacks your ride!

The 3500 ft range is plenty sufficient with a 2-way aftermarket fob for my Lex, so I just went that route.
Old 06-29-19, 05:46 PM
dragoneye4
Driver School Candidate

Its not worth it in my opinion. The hassle that you are gonna go through and the money spent is not worth it.
Old 06-30-19, 01:40 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I worked at a place with a big parking lot that has no covered parking in Arizona; it takes me 3-5 minutes to get to my car after walking out of the building. Being able to remote start my car for a few minutes before getting in is a huge plus in the summer. After getting quote of $2K to install, I spent a couple of months on and off working on it myself and learned a lot about car electronics in the process. It's worth it in my situation; not sure if it's worth it in mild or cold weather.
Originally Posted by LeXmanG
The one one thing I haven’t been able to have the EVO ONE unit perform is the “key takeover” function which allows your to remote start the vehicle, get in and drive without having to re-start it. Currently, I can remote start it, unlock it and get in, but even though the vehicle detects the OEM Smart Key, when you tap the brake, the engine shuts off.

Tech support told me today that the EVO One unit is capable of learning my vehicle’s Can Bus network, which only requires connecting two additional wires from the OBD II port (and reprogramming the Evo One unit). They believe this will correct the key takeover function, but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet (will try when I get time).
I got the Viper with PKALL bypass module, and the key take over works without issue.
Old 07-01-19, 02:54 PM
Ronin559
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Evo system allows for both (telematics and 2-way long range RF) to be connected simultaneously. I have the telematics (phone control) add-on installed in my Tacoma and it works without a hitch (provided you have cell service). Also has GPS BUILT INTO THE APP, which could be nice if someone jacks your ride!

The 3500 ft range is plenty sufficient with a 2-way aftermarket fob for my Lex, so I just went that route.
For me the added bulk is not worth the remote start, I only need to use the remote start in the morning where the car is in the driveway and I can start it from the front window 15-20 feet away. I specifically got a car with push button start and keyless entry for a reason, so being able to start the car with the factory keyfob by pressing lock 3x is exactly what I am in need of. I just want the engine warmed up before I take off in the morning, but I would venture to guess that the restarting would get old fairly quickly.
Old 07-02-19, 08:48 AM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Originally Posted by nosurprise
I worked at a place with a big parking lot that has no covered parking in Arizona; it takes me 3-5 minutes to get to my car after walking out of the building. Being able to remote start my car for a few minutes before getting in is a huge plus in the summer. After getting quote of $2K to install, I spent a couple of months on and off working on it myself and learned a lot about car electronics in the process. It's worth it in my situation; not sure if it's worth it in mild or cold weather.

I got the Viper with PKALL bypass module, and the key take over works without issue.
Any idea if your setup is connected to the vehicle’s Can Bus network? Wondering if that’s what needs to be done with mine to get the key takeover function to work properly. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-21-19, 05:43 PM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Iv’e been working with the EVO ONE unit by Fortin. So far, I can remote start / stop, lock / unlock and open the truck with an aftermarket 3,500 ft range key fob. Took about 5 days (working on it for a few hours each night) and lots of back and forth with their tech support team.

with all the back and forth I had with tech support, Ive got wire color and harness locations (schematic) for the entire install (which I performed myself).

Ill keep you posted if I get the key takeover function to work, but if anyone wants the wiring info, just let me know as I’d be happy to share it.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention... the OEM Smart Key still functions just as it did before the install.
I'm very interested in setting up a remote start on my brothers 09 IS. Did you get the fortin to work well?
Old 12-16-23, 12:38 AM
LEXXXUS801
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise

Which viper system did you use
Old 12-18-23, 08:06 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXXXUS801
Which viper system did you use
I have the Viper 5902 with the PKALL Xpress Kit bypass. It works pretty good, but the color remote is not good as the screen dims and fades after a few years and can't anything on the screen afterwards.