IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Brought the Is350 out on a lapping day!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-15, 07:22 AM
Rsuave24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brought the Is350 out on a lapping day!

Hello all, so it has been a long time since i've posted here but I have not forgotten about you guys!

On Sat Sept 12, I finally made it out to the track for an HPDE event. I wish I could have made it out in June but I lost my job a week before I was suppose to go. Well...after some perseverance I was able to rebound and get back out to the track!!

The event is hosted by a Local Shop here in MN called Modern Automotive Performance. The event they host twice a year is called Proving Grounds. This event features drag, drift, auto x, and road course.

The track is Brainerd International Raceway (short course 2.5mi)

The Car:
My 2006 Lexus Is350

Mods
ISF suspension, EBC yellowstuff pads, Stainless Steel Lines, F-sport Intake, F-sport axle back, F-sport rear sway bar.

Tires/Wheels
F and R 18x9.5 Rota Grids front and rear

F: Pirelli P6 four seasons 245 40 18
R: Kumho ?? 255 40 18

Notes

First off, this being my first track event in the IS I have to say this was a fun platform, The car (to me) was very balanced. Body roll wasn't absent in the IS with the ISF suspension but it wasn't unbearable, in this case the body roll actually made the car very predictable. Understeer was not a problem for me what so ever. I can't say how the IS would have performed with its stock suspension but I can say I was satisfied with the performance of the ISF suspension. As you can see I ran on All Season tires (its what I had laying around, couldn't afford track tires) and It still performed exceptionally well. Racing this course before in my 92 civic I did see some places the IS could have shaved lots of time off, had I had the dough for some R compounds. there were sections I could have used the brakes less if tires were better. Oh and tire rub was a minor issue also. Looking to also add a front sway bar to improve turn in response.

recap

Old 09-15-15, 10:01 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice vid!
That spoiler, on the bmw, looks ridiculous.
Old 09-15-15, 10:40 AM
Rsuave24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by srt1
Nice vid!
That spoiler, on the bmw, looks ridiculous.
I agree that spoiler looks goofy
Old 09-15-15, 01:51 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Great to see others out there showing what the 2IS is capable of. Bet you had a blast!
Old 09-15-15, 01:56 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for posting, its always nice to see track videos... Looks like a nice track layout, with good areas to pass... What was the wear on the tires like? I think a nice set of matched summer performance tires would make a nice improvement in lap times.
Old 09-15-15, 03:55 PM
Rsuave24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mike33
Thanks for posting, its always nice to see track videos... Looks like a nice track layout, with good areas to pass... What was the wear on the tires like? I think a nice set of matched summer performance tires would make a nice improvement in lap times.
you are welcome sir! I would have loved summer performance tires but they werent in the cards this time around, I can agree that that would have made a significant difference!

The tires did phenominal in terms of wear, it was crazy considering how heavy our cars are. To put it into perspective, I drove 6 20min sessions at 100% and they squealed and talked all day long, I thought they'd be roasted, chunked etc, but by the end of the day this didnt have any abnormal wear or any noticiable wear to say the least.. I drove home the same day and I live 130 miles from that track.
Old 09-15-15, 04:01 PM
Rsuave24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Great to see others out there showing what the 2IS is capable of. Bet you had a blast!
being the only Lexus out there I had a chio on my shoulder hahaha
Old 09-15-15, 04:17 PM
Rsuave24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
being the only Lexus out there I had a chip on my shoulder hahaha
Old 09-15-15, 07:30 PM
SebaPR
Driver

niceee its all about having fun and you clearly had i want to track my mt250 too once i get fsport bars and some good tires on oem wheels
Old 09-15-15, 08:21 PM
Rsuave24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SebaPR
niceee its all about having fun and you clearly had i want to track my mt250 too once i get fsport bars and some good tires on oem wheels
I have Stoptech drilled and slotted rotors for the front when you decide you need em 120 shipped lol I bought last winter to use for the track to find out they are for an IS250
Old 09-15-15, 11:08 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Really like what you did with the video. Got the whole feel of the day lol. Any plans to get coilovers in the future?
Old 09-16-15, 03:02 AM
Rsuave24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by InspireME
Really like what you did with the video. Got the whole feel of the day lol. Any plans to get coilovers in the future?
thank you I'm glad to be able to share it! I haven't really outdrove the suspension yet, like I said before, my tires were my limiting factor I'm going to go for a better wheel and tire setup first and if I reach the suspensions limit with better tires and a front swaybar, I'll consider the need for coilovers, I would love coilovers, but I think my driver skill hasn't progressed beyond the setup I have....yet!
Old 09-16-15, 05:45 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Rsuave24
Looking to also add a front sway bar to improve turn in response.
In addition to beefing up your front sway bar, another inexpensive upgrade is swapping out your front LCA #2 OEM bushings to a higher durometer version (like the ones offered by FIGS or RRRacing). You'll immediately notice improved turn-in response and braking stability on the track.
Old 09-16-15, 09:18 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Rsuave24
thank you I'm glad to be able to share it! I haven't really outdrove the suspension yet, like I said before, my tires were my limiting factor I'm going to go for a better wheel and tire setup first and if I reach the suspensions limit with better tires and a front swaybar, I'll consider the need for coilovers, I would love coilovers, but I think my driver skill hasn't progressed beyond the setup I have....yet!
Winnar! Most people won't admit that the biggest performance detriment is the driver, and even more don't understand that the biggest performance increase to the car comes through tires.
Old 09-16-15, 01:52 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

^100% accurate! Practice, practice, practice! Then spend some dough on good tires. Helps having them mounted on lightweight wheels; but obviously not necessary for those on a budget.

Quick Reply: Brought the Is350 out on a lapping day!