IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AFS warning light - could non HID headlight assembly be the culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 02:17 PM
LarryVJD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFS warning light - could non HID headlight assembly be the culprit?

I hit a deer and needed the right headlight assembly replaced (among other parts). I went to a body shop that a coworker recommended and got the car back in a reasonable amount of time.
Several months later when I got the car inspected the dealer told me that the new headlight assembly was not plugged in tightly which had caused the parking light to work intermittently, but since the time that it was plugged in correctly the AFS warning light continuously flashes when the car is running. The dealer told me that the reason for this is that the ECU is not recognizing the head light assembly.
The body shop has been making excuses, avoiding my calls, etc., so I decided to do some research.
It seems that the Halogen assembly was installed - that put $600-700 in the body shop's pocket - rather than the HID assembly. There are no other issues with the vehicle. Am I on target with this analysis, or is there another possible reason for the AFS warning light? If I have to take this body shop to court I want as much evidence as possible. Further, is there a way to tell by serial number, part number, etc. that the wrong (and much less expensive) part was installed? I have proof that the insurance company reimbursed the body shop for an OEM HID headlight assembly. To me this amounts to insurance fraud, but my insurer won't do anything because I did not go to a "preferred repair shop". (I will soon stop giving them money each month)
Old 09-14-15, 02:44 PM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best way to find out if you have the oem hid's is check your bulbs. I would make sure to have d4s bulbs on both sides. I don't know about you, but i would definitely notice a huge difference in light output at night if one side was halogen and the other hid.

OEM HID D4S bulbs

OEM H11 halogen bulbs
Old 09-14-15, 02:56 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

On start up, does the auto leveling function work? I believe the halogen headlights do not have auto leveling and AFS. If they don't move up and down at start up, and they don't sweep as you turn, then you've been robbed.

And you should be able to pull the part # off the headlight to confirm whether or not it's truly what they claim it to be.