IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Any suggestions for a good/affordable car paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 09:52 AM
Uniqual
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suggestions for a good/affordable car paint job?

Hi Guys,

Sorry newbie here, I am not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I need help in finding a nice place where I can bring my 2008 Lexus IS250 for a full car paint job.

No rust or damage with the body just paints chips around the front bumper and rear bumper. If you guys can give me suggestions on where I can go and provide an idea of how much approx it's going to cost is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again,

Jayce
Old 09-14-15, 10:49 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

There'll be places that'll paint your car for $1,000 or less but a legit paint job proper prepping getting your door jams and whatnot be prepared to spend 4000 +. You get what you pay for though and a proper paint job is something you don't want to cheap out on. Another option you could go with is vinyl wrap doing. That's more affordable
Old 09-14-15, 11:22 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was retained 3/4 of the car and it was about $6,000.
Old 09-14-15, 02:02 PM
Uniqual
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the replies.. I will look in to Vinyl wrapping as well.
Old 09-16-15, 01:28 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

if it's your daily then just have the bumpers, hood, painted and call it a day. Clear wrap your front end and you're set. Why shoot the whole car? Is it that bad? Jams usually never go bad so don't even waste your time on that.
Old 09-16-15, 10:30 PM
ISland350
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by srt1
if it's your daily then just have the bumpers, hood, painted and call it a day. Clear wrap your front end and you're set. Why shoot the whole car? Is it that bad? Jams usually never go bad so don't even waste your time on that.
a lot of the stock Lexus paint codes won't lend well to painting just certain parts and leaving others untouched. (SFP,GFM)
Old 09-17-15, 09:57 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISland350
a lot of the stock Lexus paint codes won't lend well to painting just certain parts and leaving others untouched. (SFP,GFM)
A true shooter can match anything, I've seen almost perfect matches. Now you can get pretty close to it but remember it's all about the mix and one who shoots it. Pearls or no pearls, and even candy paint, can be accomplished depending on the mix and who's shooting it. There are well known people here, in San Jo, who can shoot and match anything you throw at him. So it is possible and btw pearls can also be done in powder coating to match your IS.
Old 09-18-15, 12:18 AM
Tapangb
Driver

You definitely get what you pay for. I noticed anything pearl will cost you more because of the blend.
Old 09-18-15, 09:55 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've gotten previous cars painted at MAACO before and i'll tell you one thing... its not the WORST paint job. If you get their premium single stage paint job, its actually OKAY. My only quam about it is some of the painters dont really take their time prepping the car so you will see over spray on your exhaust, wheels or suspension parts which i found annoying. they even painted my trim which i specifically said i wanted to keep black. I told them i would tape it off for them and they told me it was okay they got it and completely went against what I said. I wasn't too upset tho because it actually looked better with the painted trim. Its also really hard to detail after because with single stage paint jobs there is really no clear coat on top of the color so if you scratch the paint, its scratched for ever

The outcome how ever i was pleasantly surprised about and I wasn't TOO disappointed for the price. I only did it because i needed a paint job in a pinch to sell the car and it came out alot better than I anticipated. To paint the full car was about $950. So its really you get what you pay for

If it a car i plan to keep for sometime and show off, I'd probably spend the extra money to do it right.
Old 09-18-15, 10:18 AM
mojo77777
Driver School Candidate

I would never do single stage on a Lexus. And NONE of their painters take time prepping. They get paid by car. Faster they work, more money they make. So of course they arent going to take time to make sure your car looks good. I'd rather plastidip my car myself than take it to MAACO for paintwork. At least plastidip would be removable.
Old 09-19-15, 06:32 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you want to do a complete color change? If you just want front and rear bumpers done, take it to a shop and get a quote in your area. Might try the regional section or ask around your area through Yelp.
Old 09-20-15, 01:30 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mojo77777
I would never do single stage on a Lexus. And NONE of their painters take time prepping. They get paid by car. Faster they work, more money they make. So of course they arent going to take time to make sure your car looks good. I'd rather plastidip my car myself than take it to MAACO for paintwork. At least plastidip would be removable.
Lol funny chit bro and too true. I had these fools paint my , past daily hoopty, and damn I coulda shot it better than them. Jacka$$ didn't even block the stock paint so it just chipped off here and there as well as fading big timers. Forget about it.
Old 09-21-15, 03:50 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The cost of a new paint job isn't going to be worth it. In order to get a good quality paint job you will need to take it to a reputable shop. Any respectable shop isn't going to charge low/entry prices for quality work. A respray will most likely not be at the same quality as the original paint. Your best bet is to take it to a reputable shop and only paint the panels that need touched up, this will reduce the work and price.