IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

*Not another front bumper / lip thread -- Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-15, 08:49 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question *Not another front bumper / lip thread -- Help!

I had plans to get a nice lip and repaint and 3m my bumper (from rock chips), but after scraping HARD on the crappy roads here I have began to rethink this idea. (I angle and drive carefully, but this **** happens)

In total, the above work would likely cost around $1200 CAD. (The lip is a costly Lexon piece)(2009 lip)

This sounds like a great idea and all, but my major concern is that I'd probably end up getting the front lip torn off if I hit something (yes, our roads are horrible).

Question:
1. Do I pursue this idea anyways and hope for the best

2. Do I pay a little extra and get the lip molded to the front bumper to keep it in place

3. Do I consider an aftermarket front bumper that defeats the need for a lip (that goes with a vertex or toms side skirts)

I would really appreciate some insight here!

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Nixcision; 09-08-15 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 09:24 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

I had thought about an fsport bumper conversion but there seems to be a high volume of parts required and with shipping and everything it doesnt make sense,

Also, in thinking about it, an 09 lexon lip seems a bit small to even make sense molding... I have an 09 IS, but if I'm molding, should I look at custom fitting an 06-08 lip (like the five axis lip)? Any ideas on cost? I know some people have custom fit lips to their 09s but not much is written about that.
Old 09-08-15, 09:29 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Any route u go, if your car is lowered you're gonna run the risk of damaging it. So..yolo
Old 09-08-15, 09:52 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Im guessing you're gonna jack it up again. I've done it many times hitting crap. mainly my own fault. With a lip and lowered everyone has to be extra cautious. Dont feel bad, I had to use my spare front jdm lip which is bank and im also in the process of molding my own bumper and I hat to it but I know it'll get jacked once I go up my driveway at the wrong angle.
Dont spend that much unless you plan on spending that amount again. How low are you and what tire/wheel size are you running?
Old 09-09-15, 01:44 AM
ISland350
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

whatever you hit strong enough to dislodge or crack a properly installed lip will also damage a molded lip at the seams...sooooo yah #lowlyfe....or raise the car up
Old 09-09-15, 04:45 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISland350
whatever you hit strong enough to dislodge or crack a properly installed lip will also damage a molded lip at the seams...sooooo yah #lowlyfe....or raise the car up
Yes comes with the territory. Low is the only way brotha. One day bags one day. Lol.
Old 09-09-15, 09:17 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Any route u go, if your car is lowered you're gonna run the risk of damaging it. So..yolo
Originally Posted by ISland350
Yeah I guess I'll have to drive a bit more cautiously haha.
I feel like molding might keep it intact a bit more vs it falling off and being ran over, but either way it does come with the territory!

Originally Posted by srt1
Yes comes with the territory. Low is the only way brotha. One day bags one day. Lol.
The dream is to ride high, park low lol

Originally Posted by srt1
Im guessing you're gonna jack it up again. I've done it many times hitting crap. mainly my own fault. With a lip and lowered everyone has to be extra cautious. Dont feel bad, I had to use my spare front jdm lip which is bank and im also in the process of molding my own bumper and I hat to it but I know it'll get jacked once I go up my driveway at the wrong angle.
Dont spend that much unless you plan on spending that amount again. How low are you and what tire/wheel size are you running?
I'm sitting at just about 24" fender to ground tucking only a bit of tire. I'm running 18x8.5 wheels and 225/40/18 tires.
I've thought about stepping up to 19s to make my car sit higher, but still look low with my coilover setup.

I dont mind superficial, light scrapage at speed, but what I hate is when my splash guard or underside hits something and makes a big "slamming" sound and jerks the car a bit. Part of my splash guard is stitched together with zipties at the moment
Old 09-09-15, 09:18 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a killer deal on my full kit, fabulous rep in the front, OEM GFX sides and rear. Once painted and installed (all brand new), It cost me $550.00 CAD

Haven't scraped the front of the lip yet, but I have bottomed out on dips a couple times and scraped the underside. Just have to be super careful when I pull into parking stalls that I don't go too far forward.
Old 09-09-15, 10:15 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

That sounds like a good deal!

on the topic of lip kits:
what do you guys think about an 09 Lexon front lip and Tom's side skirts? Do they sit at the same level?
Old 09-09-15, 11:18 AM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scrapping on steep driveways, bottom out on unexpected dips or cracks, avoid pot holes or they will dmg your wheel lips with stretch tires. scraped lightly on those circle on ramps. My oem front lip are pretty much scratched good like battle marks. I could careless though because i knew it'll happen when going low. Suggest you get those lip splitters are those rubber side thing. I know once i put on my ings+1 kit i will difenitly be more careful. Regardless scrapping is a normal thing when lowered.
Old 09-09-15, 11:39 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nixcision
Yeah I guess I'll have to drive a bit more cautiously haha.
I feel like molding might keep it intact a bit more vs it falling off and being ran over, but either way it does come with the territory!

The dream is to ride high, park low lol

I'm sitting at just about 24" fender to ground tucking only a bit of tire. I'm running 18x8.5 wheels and 225/40/18 tires.
I've thought about stepping up to 19s to make my car sit higher, but still look low with my coilover setup.

I dont mind superficial, light scrapage at speed, but what I hate is when my splash guard or underside hits something and makes a big "slamming" sound and jerks the car a bit. Part of my splash guard is stitched together with zipties at the moment
Some guys cut or gut out the fender liner cause you only need to keep the lights protected. Cut out what ever is rubbing. Brah I hit something late night, I was the only one on the highway in my direction, and my front lip broke off. There was nothing I could've done to avoid what ever it was. Wrong place(lane) wrong time. Raise your front an inch or so, or would it look ghey? Lol
Old 09-09-15, 12:54 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Front wheel liners? What are those? LOL!
Old 09-10-15, 07:49 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Haha just trying to decide on what kit to get now or possibly a unique mix and match setup
Old 09-10-15, 10:02 AM
minato
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's an authentic wald front on classifieds
Riding low helps alot with scrapping , you definately cant avoid that, dont matter how careful you are.
Getting air struts and management fixes the riding low problem(ride 4x4, park lower)

It boils down to what you really want
Old 09-10-15, 09:33 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Any ideas if there are any replica lips that are worth looking into for an 09-10? I like the lexon lip but it seems a bit pricey for something thats going to scrape.... I dont want a gfx really because its a bit plain and would sit too high compared to vertex or even tom's sides

Last edited by Nixcision; 09-10-15 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: *Not another front bumper / lip thread -- Help!