IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Forgetting to turn off the car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-15, 08:34 PM
KietV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgetting to turn off the car?

One time I went into a restaurant for lunch and had my key fob in my pocket. When I came out the car was still running.

Is the car suppose to turn off on its own? Lol
Old 09-08-15, 08:42 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KietV
One time I went into a restaurant for lunch and had my key fob in my pocket. When I came out the car was still running.

Seriously? This reminds me of the story I saw on Yahoo just a few days ago, about a suit being presented against car manufacturers regarding people with push button starters forgetting to turn their cars off. Apparently this "function" has resulted in deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning. Yeh, never forgotten to turn my car off (with a key or push button). Do explain how you got out of your car to go to lunch and forgot to push the "button" when you go out.....?
Old 09-08-15, 08:51 PM
KietV

My first push button start car. I used to always put the key fob in the cup holder so when I got out I just grabbed the key and went on about my business and I guess muscle memory of removing a key made me forget to push a button lol,
Old 09-08-15, 09:21 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This also means you forgot to lock the car too. I've done it before I was in a rush and left the car running while at work. Didn't realize it until after work. opps
Old 09-08-15, 09:24 PM
DryEye
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There were many times when I had forgotten to turn the car off, but once I close the door and walk about 2-3 feet away, my car would beep twice letting me know that the car does not sense the Key Fob inside the car. I would also hear the beeps when I try to push the lock button on the outside of the car when the car is left on.
Old 09-08-15, 09:49 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

It's not suppose to automatically turned off. I guess they could make it smarter and auto turn off if your car is in P and the key is gone (but this might break remote start functions). That should be customization though because I don't want it to auto shut off since I like to step out of the car a few minutes and then get back in.

I don't see how people can forget to turn off the car unless maybe if you're close to 100 years old.
Old 09-08-15, 09:57 PM
KietV

Originally Posted by nosurprise
It's not suppose to automatically turned off. I guess they could make it smarter and auto turn off if your car is in P and the key is gone (but this might break remote start functions). That should be customization though because I don't want it to auto shut off since I like to step out of the car a few minutes and then get back in.

I don't see how people can forget to turn off the car unless maybe if you're close to 100 years old.
Do all 2is cone with remote start?
Old 09-08-15, 09:59 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DryEye
There were many times when I had forgotten to turn the car off, but once I close the door and walk about 2-3 feet away, my car would beep twice letting me know that the car does not sense the Key Fob inside the car. I would also hear the beeps when I try to push the lock button on the outside of the car when the car is left on.
Yes this is what is suppose to happen. Beep Beep, which I get to remind my ****.
Old 09-09-15, 03:58 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
I guess they could make it smarter and auto turn off if your car is in P and the key is gone (but this might break remote start functions)
More likely it's because the car is designed to work with a dead key fob battery. Hold the key next to the start switch, where it is powered inductively by the vehicle's battery, and once it starts you can operate the car normally even though the key is no longer detected.

Do all 2is cone with remote start?
Yes.
Old 09-09-15, 04:58 AM
KietV

Originally Posted by Bichon
More likely it's because the car is designed to work with a dead key fob battery. Hold the key next to the start switch, where it is powered inductively by the vehicle's battery, and once it starts you can operate the car normally even though the key is no longer detected.

Yes.
Really lol. How do I use it then?
Old 09-09-15, 07:37 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Really lol. How do I use it then?
You step on the brake and then hold the dead key fob right over the start button until the light on it changes from orange to green, and then press it.

As for opening the car, there is a removable cap on the drivers door handle that conceals a mechanical key lock.
Old 09-09-15, 12:19 PM
jennie
Pole Position

This thread = smdh