IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Are Window Visors Easy to Steal?

Old 08-26-15, 01:01 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Are Window Visors Easy to Steal?

As the title suggests, are the JDM visors from lexus easy to have stolen? I am currently considering my next mod and I think this may be the route I take, however, I do realize that these visors cost about $400 and I would absolutely flip if someone did steal these.

I don't live in a bad neighborhood although some neighbors may seem a bit shady. So I'm not really worried about that, but mainly just when I go out or when I head out to different cities. So before I buy these I just feel I need to know if these are easily stolen... I really really like the look of these and I'm hoping you guys can convince me these won't be stolen.. hopefully.
Old 08-26-15, 01:23 PM
LP817
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they come with clips and 3M tape then it wont be easy to steal. I know the RX model window visors comes with clips so most likely these will too. But if it was just 3M tape then it would be easy to steal.
Old 08-26-15, 01:38 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

10 seconds with a box cutter blade to separate the 3M tape from the vehicle. Is the price worth it?
Old 08-26-15, 03:21 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that if there was an attempt to steal them, it would ultimately result in them being broken off

If you look at the chrome trim you can peel back the rubber and flick your fingernail under the trim, that's where the clip goes around.

Originally Posted by LP817
If they come with clips and 3M tape then it wont be easy to steal. I know the RX model window visors comes with clips so most likely these will too. But if it was just 3M tape then it would be easy to steal.
They have a clip and placed using 3M adhesive tape... If installed correctly they would be difficult to steal. But, where there is a will there is a way...

Originally Posted by Gville350
10 seconds with a box cutter blade to separate the 3M tape from the vehicle. Is the price worth it?
Don't you have the AVS visors? How do they clip on?
Old 08-26-15, 03:39 PM
LP817
Driver

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
I think that if there was an attempt to steal them, it would ultimately result in them being broken off

If you look at the chrome trim you can peel back the rubber and flick your fingernail under the trim, that's where the clip goes around.

They have a clip and placed using 3M adhesive tape... If installed correctly they would be difficult to steal. But, where there is a will there is a way...

Don't you have the AVS visors? How do they clip on?
My AVS visors doesnt have clips. Just came with 3M tape.
Old 08-26-15, 04:47 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Anything can be stolen ... just depends on the skill level of the one making the attempt.

Warm summer night + fishing line can remove just about any 3m tapped product. And as mentioned if they aren't successful because of clips they will at least break um in the process.
Old 08-26-15, 05:02 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, if installed properly, they aren't going anywhere fast without ruining them. The trim piece will easily bend and kink if yanked too hard due to the clips and tape.
Old 08-26-15, 05:15 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Damn.. yeah I thought so. Well you see I would like to just spend the $100 or so and get the AVS ones but I've heard of people not being totally satisfied with them and saying that the fitment is off. Sure I've heard some say they're exactly like the JDM versions but then I've also heard that in person , when compared to the originals, they look nothing alike... :/

What do you guys think? I sure would prefer to have a $100 part stolen or broken over a $400 part lol
Old 08-26-15, 05:34 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Rock the $100 for 6 months... if Ur still rolling with all 4 upgrade to the other ones and sell yours used for $70 ^_^
Old 08-27-15, 04:39 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Good advice mike. Buy then resell if all good. You right though brah, anything can be taken and I mean anything. I've been car jacked, shot at, and have had many things taken but my life. Money comes and goes and if it's taken move on and continue doing you.
Old 08-27-15, 11:55 AM
5nX37
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Got this http://www.wellvisors.com/product/3-847lx011.html brand for my Mazda. Fits perfect, durable material, mounts up securely, and priced right. IMO, I think if someone was to steal it, they are likely to damage something on the visors in the process. Also, re-placing adhesives on the visors would be a PITA. Just my opinion..
Old 08-27-15, 03:49 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 5nX37
Got this http://www.wellvisors.com/product/3-847lx011.html brand for my Mazda. Fits perfect, durable material, mounts up securely, and priced right. IMO, I think if someone was to steal it, they are likely to damage something on the visors in the process. Also, re-placing adhesives on the visors would be a PITA. Just my opinion..
Personally I don't like the fact that these protrude out quite a bit. Good thing bout the jdm's is they are almost flushed with the window, at least compared to the others out there. Hell I rock cheapies on my 4x4 and escalade.
Old 08-27-15, 04:53 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

If you want them, just get them. In my opinion, you won't be satisfied with the AVS ones.

Like others have said, anything can be stolen. If they are stolen, it would be hard to re-use or re-sell.

Good luck.
Old 08-27-15, 06:03 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

I appreciate all the advice guys!

As it stands I think I'm leaning just a little bit towards the AVS... but damn I really really want the JDM ones too lol. Maybe if I could see a comparison shot between the 2 brands it would make everything a lot easier...

For the people who have had or at least seen both in person, how much more different would you say the AVS is from the JDM? Does it stick out a lot more? Is it shaped differently? What would you say the verdict is on AVS vs JDM considering the price gap between the two??

I'll be honest and say that I'm hoping some one can convince to buy the AVS , but if the JDM's really do out shine the AVS than I'll order those instead. Thanks guys
Old 08-27-15, 06:07 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Rock the $100 for 6 months... if Ur still rolling with all 4 upgrade to the other ones and sell yours used for $70 ^_^
Hmm that's some good advice right there. I may just do that then. Worst case scenario , I don't like them and I can sell them just like you said

Well assuming I don't break them or anything when I take them off lol...

But still if anyone has had experience with both or has a picture of the two and their differences, I would still appreciate it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are Window Visors Easy to Steal?