IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

08 350 Transmission replacement at 52K??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-15, 08:15 PM
gwpatters9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 350 Transmission replacement at 52K??

Hello all,

I tried searching multiple times and couldn't find anything specific on this so kindly redirect me if this has been covered.

I bought a 2008 IS350 a few days ago with a CEL on. I had them write into the deal that they would cover whatever that was, which concerned neither party considering the car is clean, with service records from Lexus, and drives great. Their service department was closed to look at it on a Sunday and the dealership is out of town for me so yeah I took a small risk but we wrote it into the contract and they are not giving me a hard time they will fix it, so that's not the point.

That being said a few days later the check vsc came on and the more I looked I really couldn't find anything online that suggested something real might be wrong with this car, but nevertheless they recommended I take it to Lexus to get a diagnostic so the dealer I got it from could order whatever they might need and I would take it back this weekend for a repair.

Lexus pulled three codes, an ECM Malfunction, a Gear 6 Solenoid problem, and another transmission code. According to protocol they only recommend a full transmission replacement. The car feels fine to me, but they said it felt like it was shifting clunky to them (I did just come from a Manual g37s so maybe my perspective is off ).

I'm just looking for some info here. From lexus its $4500 to fix and the dealer probably won't pay that but will honor their word they say and fix the car (acknowledging that the transmission will need to be replaced not rebuilt or anything).

Has anyone else had this issue? I have seen zero online about 2IS transmission problems let alone a full failure at 51k miles.

Please advise and if there is another safe and legitemate option for replacement other than Lexus please point me in that direction. I know sites sell warrantied replacements with 60-70k miles on them for less than half what lexus wants. I'm just trying to be proactive in info for the dealership.

Thanks in advance and any input is appreciated
Old 08-20-15, 03:31 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah that's not good. Strange how they operate and want to change it out but won't pay in full for it but they'll fix it! At any rate I'd look up a tranny place in your area, Go to a place who strictly does trannys, no pun intended.
My is is strong and I have over 100k, it's my daily. I also haven't heard others going out on them.
Old 08-20-15, 07:16 AM
gwpatters9
Driver School Candidate

Yeah the dealership I got it from isn't trying to weasel out of it so I'm not too worried. I have found used transmissions with 5 years warranties that are about 30% cheaper than lexus if they don't want to spend the money for lexus to do it, but yeah I would rather it be done here..The service rep at lexus has been there 7 years and never had a transmission replacement on an 2IS, he was definitely as surprised as I was.
Old 08-20-15, 09:48 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone may have abused the crap out of her. Do you know if it was a rental? Man buying a rental is the biggest no nos
Old 08-20-15, 10:32 AM
Kenny88880
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

This posting has been removed.

Last edited by Kenny88880; 05-29-18 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-20-15, 01:48 PM
gwpatters9
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for weighing in Kenny - my thoughts exactly. The best deal I found was a big auto parts source called auto Monkey or something like that. They have some available with 5 year warranties but lexus made a good point which is to find something that will cover parts AND labor - or you're paying that 8 hour tranny replacement again should something go wrong. They also encouraged me to find something NOT rebuilt but simply used..again yeah theres not way to KNOW the mileage but I would be fine with one with 60-80k miles on it.

I just found out from my credit union that payment has NOT been processed yet for the car and while they can't stop payment should the dealership request it I am going to encourage the dealership to take the car back so we can part ways simply and they can just auction the car, versus them having to shell out $3k plus to repair the car, etc.

I'll watch your thread. I just experienced the car's problem today for the first time, car keeps getting stuck in and out of 6th gear on the highway which is definitely not good. Its unfortunate too because i would love to keep it. If they don't repair I will be looking for another 350 because I love it.
Old 08-20-15, 02:17 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

More than likely it's not a totally trans failure, it's simple a solenoid failure...which can be "easily" replaced. There are several threads on here about trans solenoid failures and pics of what exactly would need to be replaced. Not sure your dealership cares to go that route, but it's always an option.

Oh, I agree about not getting a reman trans vs a used one.
Old 09-26-15, 09:01 AM
dansa2
Driver School Candidate

Default E350 Transmission

2007 ES350 110,000 miles. Fluttering sound like baseball card in bicycle spokes while car is in 'drive'. Car shifts smoothly and other than fluttering noise very quite engine etc.
Independent Japanese car repair shop informed me that noise eminates from transmission.
Reputable transmission shop determined that it is bad bearing, because of metal throughout gear box needs rebuild, $3600. Also found cracked motor mount, $295.
Repaired and picked up car. Shifts smoothly, however, still hear fluttering and car vibrates in 'reverse'. Transmission shop diagnosed that an additional bearing located at other end of transmissiion now had to be replaced at no extra charge. A support bracket which was not tightend was causing vibration while in 'reverse'.
Picked up car.
Now, while driving I hear a low growl. While at a stop still hear low growl in addition vibration through steering column and brake pedal.
Transmission shop says to drive for couple weeks.
I'll give it the few weeks. But I know this is not right.
If I originally went to Lexus with problem and the diagnoses was rebuild transmission I would be skeptical but think repair would be like new.
Some dealers contract out transmission rebuilds to transmission shops.
Any thoughts?
Old 09-28-15, 12:04 AM
skullkandy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey gwpatters9,

Did Lexus tell you what error code it was throwing? Was it P0741? Sounds like your Torque Clutch Converter solenoid needs to be replaced.

Generally Lexus advise the whole transmission need to be replaced due to the fact that your clutch or gears might be damaged because of the solenoid error.
Old 09-28-15, 01:28 AM
Den350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kenny88880
I am currently going through a similar issue. I found out that Lexus replaces the transmissions with re-manufactured units that they outsource to some random person they claim to be Lexus certified. Plus, they only warranty the unit 12mo/12K.

I found a much better deal after talking with the highest rated shop in the Nashville, TN area. The problem with buying straight up used off a website is that you know what you have with your transmission. You could be getting into a worse situation buying one from some site that CLAIMS to verify mileage and stuff. Plus, you don't know how that unit was stored and treated too. You can follow my thread if you want any more info.

Good luck. We need it.
Out of curiosity bud what shop in Nashville?? I'm down here and just in case one day (knock on wood) I might need their work. There is a big import car thing next month in bowling Green by the way.