IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Please Help...front end issues!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 08:43 PM
Den350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please Help...front end issues!

Thinking this might be best place for this post. Balance and rebalanced my Continental DW 's on 19 Vertini's..toe and caster on with 2 degrees negative camber...car on BC coils with 5 out front and 7 in rear......have a slight shake at speed that feels like a balance issue but it's not. Front end feels like **** and can't figure out what to try besides new tires and the Contis only have about 2k on them....slight feathering on front right from I have no IDEA what!!! Help please.
Old 08-18-15, 03:59 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you have issues before the balancing? What changed from before to after? Did you do an alignment ? New tires or same existing ones, just rebalanced? If that's all I'd say it's the balancing. Don't know what else to tell ya?
Old 08-18-15, 04:38 AM
Den350
Rookie

Originally Posted by srt1
Did you have issues before the balancing? What changed from before to after? Did you do an alignment ? New tires or same existing ones, just rebalanced? If that's all I'd say it's the balancing. Don't know what else to tell ya?
Alignment done, had a rear rim that was bent from shipping I assume and thought that was issue so replaced new rear rim to fix...same issue still happening ...basically ever since going to 19s and Continental DW's, seems like car just feels ****ty at over 60mph. ..front end feels lose and unstable..balanced tires 3 times to .16 and under on hunter road force machine...
Old 08-18-15, 06:41 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have hub centric rings on your wheels? If the shop is able to balance the wheels, then you should be fine. I've had the contis dw's in the same sizes for a couple of years before i switched to my new set of tires. Didn't have any problems and actually prefer the softer ride of the dw's. Can you upload a copy of your alignment? Maybe your toe specs are out.
Old 08-18-15, 07:03 AM
AlexiaMom
Rookie

This could be so many possibilities... more details are needed... did you check the air in your tires? Something that simple could throw it off.. how old is your suspension? Did you replace the shocks?
Old 08-18-15, 01:25 PM
Den350
Rookie

Originally Posted by Eldr1dgE
Do you have hub centric rings on your wheels? If the shop is able to balance the wheels, then you should be fine. I've had the contis dw's in the same sizes for a couple of years before i switched to my new set of tires. Didn't have any problems and actually prefer the softer ride of the dw's. Can you upload a copy of your alignment? Maybe your toe specs are out.
Toe and Caster within spec, 2 degrees negative camber at moment...hub centric rings supposedly good, Megan front rear Camber to be installed to adjust camber...the rake did change with the 275 30 19 from the the 255 40 18...thinking this might maybe be a reason??? Gonna raise rear a bit to compesate...BC coils are 3 months old..tires and rims 1 month old..slight feathering on front right tire, don't know why if alignment specs are on...thinking of just going with DWS's but don't want to throw away new rubber for no reason....

Last edited by Den350; 08-18-15 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 01:28 PM
Den350
Rookie

Originally Posted by AlexiaMom
This could be so many possibilities... more details are needed... did you check the air in your tires? Something that simple could throw it off.. how old is your suspension? Did you replace the shocks?
BC coils 3 months old...air pressure at factory 35 front and 38 rear..alignment in spec except 2 degrees negative camber based on ride height. ..Megan front and rear Camber arms about to be installed to adjust to spec..
Old 08-18-15, 08:11 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you try a different shop for the wheel balancing? Those machines need calibrations ever so often and they may have skimped on maintenance and or haven't calibrated them for awhile.

Did you go back there to have them spin the tire on the machine to verify any wobbles?

Do the vibrations go away after a certain speed?
Old 08-18-15, 09:14 PM
Den350
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexSense
Did you try a different shop for the wheel balancing? Those machines need calibrations ever so often and they may have skimped on maintenance and or haven't calibrated them for awhile.

Did you go back there to have them spin the tire on the machine to verify any wobbles?

Do the vibrations go away after a certain speed?
2 diffrent shops and machines, past 100mph they seem be less intense. Put new Hub centric rings on today that sit a bit in the wheel 8th of an inch inside wheel hub as opposed to old ones sitting completely flush and it seems better...thinking the small feathering on front is causing mild vibration that is left....not sure honestly.
Old 08-19-15, 02:20 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Balancing would be vibration, if I can remember? Pulling left is alignment. Did you have the mechs figure it out or are the trippin too? How's the hub on that side? As well as the studs? Have you spinned the hubs(left side) with and without wheel? I'm just trying to throw in other possibilities.
Old 08-19-15, 05:07 AM
AlexiaMom
Rookie

Originally Posted by Den350
BC coils 3 months old...air pressure at factory 35 front and 38 rear..alignment in spec except 2 degrees negative camber based on ride height. ..Megan front and rear Camber arms about to be installed to adjust to spec..
I agree with sRt1 ... I'm thinking balancing, hubs, or it could even be something simple as the lug nuts lose... you know what.. check to see that all that is okay... check you're brake pads and that entire area in the wheel ... I had some vibration at high speeds once and realized tires plus didn't tighten one of my brake pad bolts properly causing the whole bracket thingy to drop down and cause friction - check rotors everything it has to be something there
Old 08-19-15, 07:14 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

Originally Posted by Den350
Toe and Caster within spec, 2 degrees negative camber at moment...hub centric rings supposedly good, Megan front rear Camber to be installed to adjust camber...the rake did change with the 275 30 19 from the the 255 40 18...thinking this might maybe be a reason??? Gonna raise rear a bit to compesate...BC coils are 3 months old..tires and rims 1 month old..slight feathering on front right tire, don't know why if alignment specs are on...thinking of just going with DWS's but don't want to throw away new rubber for no reason....
Well it sounds like you might have a combination of issues. Although I did not have any issues while using the DW's, others had some issues. I feel it might be your toe settings. If you haven't checked out lobuxracer's thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...alignment.html, this might give you some useful info on tire wear and issues you might be experiencing. But then again, it might be something totally different, like your suspension components. Sorry. Hope you find a solution.