Aftermarket Head Unit for my 06 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 06:43 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by valeoray
Nice!

Just wondering how the OEM cellphone bluetooth works with your setup, or are you getting a deck with bluetooth?
Thanks!

The OEM stereo (non-nav) doesn't come with any type of Bluetooth. I did add Bluetooth and iPod connectivity to my current OEM setup (via iPlaySimple); but yes, the Pioneer 8100NEX aftermarket unit that I'm planning to install in this dash does have Bluetooth connectivity.

If I had factory NAV (and Bluetooth), this mod wouldn't be possible unfortunately...
Old 09-30-15, 09:56 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LeXmanG
Thanks!

The OEM stereo (non-nav) doesn't come with any type of Bluetooth. I did add Bluetooth and iPod connectivity to my current OEM setup (via iPlaySimple); but yes, the Pioneer 8100NEX aftermarket unit that I'm planning to install in this dash does have Bluetooth connectivity.

If I had factory NAV (and Bluetooth), this mod wouldn't be possible unfortunately...
My 2011 IS250 AWD non-nav has bluetooth, but it sucks because you have to go through 5 commands to change registered cellphones, and you cannot access your phones contacts.
Old 09-30-15, 02:22 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Cant wait to see the finished product
Old 09-30-15, 10:29 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Originally Posted by valeoray
My 2011 IS250 AWD non-nav has bluetooth, but it sucks because you have to go through 5 commands to change registered cellphones, and you cannot access your phones contacts.
Wow... Wasn't aware that was even an option for non-nav vehicles. In fact, it wasn't an option on 2006 models. For the reasons you've described above, I can't see why Lexus went that route.

Given your situation, I'd say yes, you go could the route I'm going and get a better head unit. You'll lose your factory BT, but any decent aftermarket head unit has BT these days...

You should be able to retain the factory steering wheel controls though.
Old 10-01-15, 07:25 AM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Wow... Wasn't aware that was even an option for non-nav vehicles. In fact, it wasn't an option on 2006 models. For the reasons you've described above, I can't see why Lexus went that route.

Given your situation, I'd say yes, you go could the route I'm going and get a better head unit. You'll lose your factory BT, but any decent aftermarket head unit has BT these days...

You should be able to retain the factory steering wheel controls though.

I have a non nav 2006. Nav was a premium option..
Old 10-05-15, 01:21 AM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Got some of the structural work on the section behind the console completed

Before:

After:

The blue dots on the lexan sheet are the locations where mounting screws can pass through the temp board to the console.

Last edited by LeXmanG; 10-05-15 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 08:58 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Update????
Old 11-20-15, 11:26 AM
Westsai
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great, please kindly provide update
man... someone please 3D print these custom dash and sell them
Old 11-25-15, 01:23 AM
marcsis250
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

contact Beatsonic

they make an installation kit for the IS to hold a double Din deck without having to do all these mods.
Old 11-30-15, 10:10 AM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by marcsis250
contact Beatsonic

they make an installation kit for the IS to hold a double Din deck without having to do all these mods.
@marcsis250 is correct. We have one in the making and will debut at CES in January.

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 12-14-15, 07:28 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Hey guys. Thanks for the patience! My son was recently diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome; so it goes without saying that I've had 0 minutes of shop time lately. As soon as he rounds a corner, I'll post an update with some progress.

As far as waiting for an aftermarket electronics company such as Scosche, Beatsonic, etc to actually bring a finished (non-prototype) product that is cost effective to the market, I seriously double that it will ever come to fruition due to the complexity of this mod. For those who are quick to point a finger and say I'm wasting my time... You may be right; unfortunately, it takes a bit more that a dash kit to pull this off...

If Beatsonic actually makes something decent, cost effective and doesn't look like it came out of a 1980's Buick (like scosche's prototype), I'll be the first in line.
Old 12-19-15, 09:13 AM
LeXmanG
Rookie

***Update***

I looked at the Beatsonic products, and the SLX-140L looks interesting; primarily for the retention of the HVAC, steering wheel controls and factory amplifier without the need to retain the factory / OEM radio board in the system.

However, If you want your stereo in the location that I've chosen; you still need to fabricate a custom dash panel as I've done.

If having your stereo in the lower location of the console is acceptable to you; then yes, this may be "plug and play" option... assuming that this product makes it to the market / production.

I've signed up for the "alerts" so that if this product does make it to production, I'll let everyone here know.
Old 01-06-16, 02:47 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BeatSonic
@marcsis250 is correct. We have one in the making and will debut at CES in January.
Subscribed
I would like to keep up to date on the BeatSonic dash kit.
Old 01-07-16, 07:45 AM
Bryan858
Lead Lap

Hey guys. Thanks for the patience! My son was recently diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome; so it goes without saying that I've had 0 minutes of shop time lately. As soon as he rounds a corner, I'll post an update with some progress.

As far as waiting for an aftermarket electronics company such as Scosche, Beatsonic, etc to actually bring a finished (non-prototype) product that is cost effective to the market, I seriously double that it will ever come to fruition due to the complexity of this mod. For those who are quick to point a finger and say I'm wasting my time... You may be right; unfortunately, it takes a bit more that a dash kit to pull this off...

If Beatsonic actually makes something decent, cost effective and doesn't look like it came out of a 1980's Buick (like scosche's prototype), I'll be the first in line.
Hey Man,
Came back to check progress. Hope your son is doing well. That must have been real tough especially with the holidays. Anyway I hope all is better and you can continue your project.
I finished mine a couple weeks ago. After my wife went back to work, I was able to put in a couple hours each afternoon while the baby slept. I lost patients and gave up on getting the trim perfect.. I just wanted everything in so I could play with it. A/C, heater controler and factory amp work. I used the metra stuff and piggybacked to the stock radio. I went with a single din Sony GS-810bh and all is good but the fade and balance are not working quiet right. When left at center it sounds great. The deck has configurable settings to delay or level sound from each individual channel so it can be fine tuned that way. I just wanted clear HD stations and the sony preset eq settings was enough for me.

Keep up the project when you can. I'm also looking into the beatsonic but price will probably be the deal breaker for me. I just need to work out some of the bugs in my LG Tab setup and I'll be happy.
Old 01-12-16, 12:28 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Originally Posted by BeatSonic
did you guys debut it?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Head Unit for my 06 IS350