IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2010 IS350 Roof Spoiler install questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 02:19 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default 2010 IS350 Roof Spoiler install questions

Sooooo I just got my roof spoiler in the mail I ordered it last week. It came with a simple set of instructions for installation doesn't seem like there is a whole lot to it. I've searched clublexus for other installs as well.

Just one question.. on the underside of the roof spoiler.. there is a recessed section (in the middle of the spoiler the whole length except for the edges)

If thats confusing.. on the bottom of the spoiler (where 2 way tape will go) the outer edge of the spoiler will make contact with the rear window --> where the recessed section will actually sit higher then the rear window

make sense?

I'm wondering if I should put the 2 way tape on the raised section (outer edge) or put the 2 way tape on the recessed section in the middle the spoiler

I think if i put the 2 way tape in the middle section it will sit nicer on the rear window.. Any help or experience in this would be appreciated
Old 08-05-15, 03:00 PM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanO
Sooooo I just got my roof spoiler in the mail I ordered it last week. It came with a simple set of instructions for installation doesn't seem like there is a whole lot to it. I've searched clublexus for other installs as well.

Just one question.. on the underside of the roof spoiler.. there is a recessed section (in the middle of the spoiler the whole length except for the edges)

If thats confusing.. on the bottom of the spoiler (where 2 way tape will go) the outer edge of the spoiler will make contact with the rear window --> where the recessed section will actually sit higher then the rear window

make sense?

I'm wondering if I should put the 2 way tape on the raised section (outer edge) or put the 2 way tape on the recessed section in the middle the spoiler

I think if i put the 2 way tape in the middle section it will sit nicer on the rear window.. Any help or experience in this would be appreciated
not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly but if you're asking where you should put the double sided tape, I put it on both sides of the roof spoiler.
1 layer on the underside of the roof spoiler that basically touches the top of the rear windshield and
another on the opposite side of the roof spoiler
Old 08-05-15, 03:10 PM
SeanO
Instructor

______-----------------------------------_______

if thats the roof spoiler.. You put your 2 way tape on the left and right edges? and not the part in the middle?
Old 08-05-15, 03:26 PM
SeanO
Instructor

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/...psn6fxtwmt.jpg

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/...psppambnlb.jpg

2 way tape on outer edge ???????

Last edited by SeanO; 08-05-15 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-05-15, 04:36 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I know exactly what you're talking about. I put tape on the entire bottom and doubled up on the recessed end, to make it all flush. Still having serious troubles with finding a tape strong enough to hold given temperature changes expansion and contraction, the edges always unstick. Curvature of the spoiler changes when its hot or cold. Cold being the worst. Thats what i get for going ebay i guess. isopropl alcohol and all was used to prep as well, still have stick issues. Good luck!
Old 08-05-15, 04:43 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Adhesion promoter on the spoiler and on the window will help.

Do it when it is hot out, the tape will mold and stick better when it's warm.

If you can find a way to hold the spoiler down hard and in place over night, that will help.

And yeah, mine comes up on the edges. I have done it a few times and it's a huge pain in the *** getting the old tape off of the spoiler.
Old 08-05-15, 07:11 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Yeah i grabbed some adhesive promoter today so I'll definitely be using that. I guess what i got goin for me is that the spoiler fits beautifully.. any bit of light pressure makes contact all the way across. I'll definitely keep something on it overnight as well.
Old 08-05-15, 07:15 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Originally Posted by dcguy
I know exactly what you're talking about. I put tape on the entire bottom and doubled up on the recessed end, to make it all flush. Still having serious troubles with finding a tape strong enough to hold given temperature changes expansion and contraction, the edges always unstick. Curvature of the spoiler changes when its hot or cold. Cold being the worst. Thats what i get for going ebay i guess. isopropl alcohol and all was used to prep as well, still have stick issues. Good luck!
I'll check again tomorrow but the tape might be too thick to be doubled up in the center.. I have the red and grey 3m tape when i checked it almost seemed like the center portion would be perfect with just one layer..

Last edited by SeanO; 08-05-15 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-06-15, 09:01 AM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry, I wasn't clear in my description. I put the double sided tape on the long edges, not the outer edges. so the on the length and not the width. also, you can use a heat gun to heat up your glue to make it stickier.
Old 08-06-15, 01:28 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Thanks for the clarification. I'll put the tape on the outer edges of the spoiler.. I don't see any reason why i can't put tape on the width section?! I have adhesion promoter as well so I might not have to heat it up. My car is black so i'm planning on leaving it outside on saturday to let the glass heat up.. I'll probably apply the 2 way tape to the spoiler and let it sit in the sun a bit as well. I'm gonna let it sit overnight in the garage with some firewood ontop of it to keep pressure on it.
I'll post up some pics when I install it and any troubles/ experiences i run into. Thanks for all the help fellas.

Last edited by SeanO; 08-06-15 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-06-15, 02:55 PM
boystar22
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

If you still have issues getting it to stick try using RTV silicone to glue it to the glass. Living in Georgia we never get away from the humidity long enough for tape to be effective. I had to glue it on and throw two heavy bags of potting soil on the roof at each end to hold it down overnight till it dried. No problems with adhesion anymore for me! It goes through the high pressure car wash twice a week and sits in the sun in the parking lot at work with no problems now.
Old 08-07-15, 10:34 AM
CreativeS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is how I installed mine. Hope this help if not too late or others.

Adhesive promoter on glass and on roof spoiler. Applied 3m tape and clear silicone. since it was below 5 degree C I applied many hand warmers for heat. See pictures!
Attached Thumbnails 2010 IS350 Roof Spoiler install questions-roofspoiler.jpg   2010 IS350 Roof Spoiler install questions-heatingpads.jpg   2010 IS350 Roof Spoiler install questions-waterbottles.jpg  
Old 08-07-15, 10:45 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CreativeS
This is how I installed mine. Hope this help if not too late or others.

Adhesive promoter on glass and on roof spoiler. Applied 3m tape and clear silicone. since it was below 5 degree C I applied many hand warmers for heat. See pictures!
That looks like a really good way to do it!

How does it look after? Perfect?
Old 08-07-15, 12:12 PM
CreativeS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes perfect and solid! Drove very next day on highway!

Originally Posted by getafewliv
That looks like a really good way to do it!

How does it look after? Perfect?
Attached Thumbnails 2010 IS350 Roof Spoiler install questions-roofspoilerfinal.jpg  
Old 08-07-15, 05:20 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Thats exactly the way mine is as well.. I have some of the wider tape as well thanks for the pics! I'm plannin on doin it tomorrow so I will use that exact same set up.. I only have one case of water so i'll have to get another haha

Quick Reply: 2010 IS350 Roof Spoiler install questions