Front Wheel Noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-15, 05:04 AM
evopat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Noise when turning

All,

Hello, I recently purchased a 2008 IS350 with only 26K miles on it. The car is beautiful however (3) of the tires APPEAR to be original or close to it and (1) appears to be new.

When I am on the highway going straight the car is as quiet as a church mouse, turn left still quiet, turn right, waaah waaaah.... That perfect sound of a wheel bearing going bad...

I swapped the two front tires left to right to verify that it was not a scalloped tire causing the issue. The noise remained on the left front when turning / loading the left front.... It must be a wheel bearing right???? I thought so, so I replaced it.... GUESS WHAT, the NOISE did not go away.... I swapped front tires right to left again blaming the tires.... same noise, same side....

Any thoughts????? I am wondering if the front toe it too far out or in that this might happen but that should make the same noise in either direction....

Curious to hear what you have to say
Old 07-29-15, 09:04 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How did you decide it was a bearing? My sugg; put your car on stands then go to each side pulling up and down, twist(turn) left to right. I've seen people automatically assume its bearings then find out that it is not. A waste of time and money.
Btw very rare with that low miles. Congrats on the beautiful car, the 350 is badass.
Old 07-29-15, 09:28 AM
evopat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by srt1
How did you decide it was a bearing? My sugg; put your car on stands then go to each side pulling up and down, twist(turn) left to right. I've seen people automatically assume its bearings then find out that it is not. A waste of time and money.
Btw very rare with that low miles. Congrats on the beautiful car, the 350 is badass.
Thank you for the info, I think... Here is how I checked the bearing.... (Unless the bearing is shot you will not feel it by movement, early bearing wear is heard but not felt).

Anyway, While driving the car, turn right. this loads the left side of the car....Noise happens..... Turn left, right side is loaded, no noise. That points to only rotating items.. Going straight no noise, no pulling.. Tires / bearings. Swapped tires left to right side of the car and repeated test..... NOISE DID NOT MOVE... In theory thats a bearing.... Replaced hub...... Still have the noise.... Asked the board for help.. as this is a first for me in fixing cars for a long time.

PS Hand moving was first, no play was found. The cars bushings have far more movement.

Any other thoughts would be very helpful. This is interesting.
Old 07-29-15, 10:37 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by evopat
Thank you for the info, I think... Here is how I checked the bearing.... (Unless the bearing is shot you will not feel it by movement, early bearing wear is heard but not felt).

Anyway, While driving the car, turn right. this loads the left side of the car....Noise happens..... Turn left, right side is loaded, no noise. That points to only rotating items.. Going straight no noise, no pulling.. Tires / bearings. Swapped tires left to right side of the car and repeated test..... NOISE DID NOT MOVE... In theory thats a bearing.... Replaced hub...... Still have the noise.... Asked the board for help.. as this is a first for me in fixing cars for a long time.

PS Hand moving was first, no play was found. The cars bushings have far more movement.

Any other thoughts would be very helpful. This is interesting.
Did you get an alignment after? Maybe it has to do with the new tire. Maybe the owner before you ran over a big pot hole, popped the tires and fcked up the suspension. Maybe thats why he sold it lol
Old 07-29-15, 11:31 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

I forgot to ask what type of noise. You are aware that bearings make a humming sound, when bad? Bent wheel, prob not?
Old 07-29-15, 02:03 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

First thing first, if you have original factory tires on the car right now, they're probably close to dry-rotting and/or weathered. To check the wheel bearing, your best bet is to remove the wheel and by hand turn the hub and listen for anything. Should be completely silent...assuming the brake pads aren't touching the rotor.
Old 07-29-15, 02:11 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
First thing first, if you have original factory tires on the car right now, they're probably close to dry-rotting and/or weathered. To check the wheel bearing, your best bet is to remove the wheel and by hand turn the hub and listen for anything. Should be completely silent...assuming the brake pads aren't touching the rotor.
I believe he already changed the hubs
Old 07-30-15, 06:37 AM
htxlexuss
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem on my vehicle. I changed out all four wheel hubs, check my axles and all were in good shape but still made noise when I'm turning.. I don't have a clue what else it could be
Old 08-01-15, 08:08 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Check your lower ball-joint. You know what i'm talking about.
Old 08-02-15, 05:00 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just a shot, try changing the rotor to the other side. Shouldn't take that long, you never know.
Old 08-02-15, 08:26 PM
jraiderg
Rookie

It could be your upper control arm or that guard shield where it sits close to the rotor you could bend it it might be hitting the rotor or caliper . Or your upper arm with the ball joint went out
Old 08-05-15, 11:24 AM
vida1
Driver School Candidate

I was having the same issue on my car. Every time I would turn all the way left when braking the car would start making a creaking sound. I found the upper control arm was causing the problem. The joint where it connected to the A arm was the issue. I replaced the upper control arm and the noise has not been back since. I also replaced the sway bar link because is was also bad at the joint where it connects to the wheel. I think when I hit a pot hole while I was driving down the grapevine at 75mph it damaged the joint on the upper control arm. I hope this helps, it fixed my problem.