2015 update on lowered AWD

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-15, 03:01 PM
STRLRD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 update on lowered AWD

Hi guys.
To start things off I just purchased my 2008 iS250 AWD 3weeks ago. I purchased the AWD because Im usually in the mountains either hiking/longboarding in the summer or snowboarding in the winter.
Now, I was about to drop some serious cash on coils and 19" BBS LMs until for the past 2 weeks Ive read all the issues about AWD not only in this forum but 2 others as well. I've read that some people had vibration issues and some dont. Ive read that it depends how low you are. Ive read it could be a car by car situation or that way the coils/springs were installed. Ive read that the primary issue is the cv boots then the axles/drive shafts go along with the downfall.
Here:
http://cambergang.com/blogs/news/113...wd-lexus-is250

In this article it says he had to replace his axle 3x
At the end it says the car is no longer with us without explanation. I assume he got tired of the issue.
Mind you, I do not plan on slamming my IS. I just want to rid the horrendous Grand Canyon gap

HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS:
-Are there any AWD owners here who still, to this day, drive with a lowered stance?
-If so, does the vibration issue still persist?
-Have you found a solution that allows you to still drive with a lowered stance till this day?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by STRLRD; 07-18-15 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-18-15, 03:33 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by STRLRD
At the end it says the car is longer with us without explanation.
The white-on-white text of that article is very hard to read, but it does give an explanation in the prior paragraph.

Andy had some pretty cool stuff in store for his Lexus until it sadly got in an accident at the wrong time.
Old 07-18-15, 04:12 PM
STRLRD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
The white-on-white text of that article is very hard to read, but it does give an explanation in the prior paragraph.
It is hard to read indeed. Well, if that's the case that specific sentence should have been placed in the conclusion of the article rather than in the middle. It made it seem as if he got into an accident then fixed it again and continued his mods. Nevertheless, it was a nice looking IS.
Old 07-19-15, 12:14 PM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Just highlight the text with your mouse to make reading easier.
Old 07-19-15, 03:04 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I know him that Andy from Denver. Riding that low on bag put more stress than spring or coilover on awd axles. His car got total from an accident. He now driving Isf hence why it no longer with him.
Old 07-19-15, 08:13 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am still lowered on my AWD 250. I have the awd because its a car that I can use all winter and practically anywhere (yes I know good tires help).

I lowered it back in May, and went with coilovers. I HIGHLY recommend coilovers. I don't know if you've seen the countless threads I've posted in about how each car is different, but they really are all unique, AWD or not.

I went with the safe 25" fender to ground ride height. My wheel gap is almost eliminated, and I've even considered lowering even more to tuck more of my wheels and maybe even camber out a bit. The moment I backed out of my garage after installing my coils, I felt the vibration, but the only times I actually felt it was on inclines. I don't even notice them anymore! They might have progressively gotten smaller) For the first week it was "noticed" by me, but any of my passengers had no idea what was going on.

There are many threads on here outlining the benefits of coils over springs and why people who start with springs move to coils, but I will tell you, that with AWD, in order to get a ride which feels both comfortable for yourself and decent for your suspension, you need the ability to make adjustments. (lowering springs also wear out the stock shocks so you'll end up spending the same in the long run).

Would be nice to see another lowered awd 2is!

Last edited by Nixcision; 07-19-15 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-19-15, 08:16 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Either I have gotten used to mine, or the vibrations have somewhat subsided, but to be safe, I'm looking into RCA blocks for mine. A few AWD members on here who are lowered used these, and said they helped even more.
Old 07-22-15, 01:05 AM
STRLRD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nixcision
I am still lowered on my AWD 250. I have the awd because its a car that I can use all winter and practically anywhere (yes I know good tires help).

I lowered it back in May, and went with coilovers. I HIGHLY recommend coilovers. I don't know if you've seen the countless threads I've posted in about how each car is different, but they really are all unique, AWD or not.

I went with the safe 25" fender to ground ride height. My wheel gap is almost eliminated, and I've even considered lowering even more to tuck more of my wheels and maybe even camber out a bit. The moment I backed out of my garage after installing my coils, I felt the vibration, but the only times I actually felt it was on inclines. I don't even notice them anymore! They might have progressively gotten smaller) For the first week it was "noticed" by me, but any of my passengers had no idea what was going on.

There are many threads on here outlining the benefits of coils over springs and why people who start with springs move to coils, but I will tell you, that with AWD, in order to get a ride which feels both comfortable for yourself and decent for your suspension, you need the ability to make adjustments. (lowering springs also wear out the stock shocks so you'll end up spending the same in the long run).

Would be nice to see another lowered awd 2is!
THANK YOU for all the information. Some good news at last. I have read about the car by car situation. Every car is different like you said. Im taking my car to the shop tomorrow morning to have a look at everything before I install the coilovers. I will definitely do the RCA blocks as well, now that you mentioned it. 25" fender to ground is what I aim for and having 19s should help close up the remaining gap. My other car is lowered as much as I could on it and the rubbing/watching for bumps lifestyle is no longer for me haha.
Soon Ill be part of the lowered awd 2is division with you
Old 07-22-15, 01:06 AM
STRLRD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by laobo979
I know him that Andy from Denver. Riding that low on bag put more stress than spring or coilover on awd axles. His car got total from an accident. He now driving Isf hence why it no longer with him.
Ahh I see, good to know