IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 IS250 Shift Shaft Seal! Can't get out! HELP! Leaking! Mechanics PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-15, 06:21 PM
Bugnation2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 IS250 Shift Shaft Seal! Can't get out! HELP! Leaking! Mechanics PLEASE

Hello. I have a 2008 IS250. I noticed leaking near rear main seal but then realized the actual "Shift Shaft Seal" above the rear main seal is completely out so I'm losing fluid quick! I already replaced rear main seal to be on the safe side, but I need to replace the shift shaft seal as well, however I can't seem to figure out how to get the swivel piece off, I got the linkage piece off from it but I can't get the actual swivel out of my way so I can completely remove the seal and replace it! I am providing a photo of what I'm talking about, if anyone knows how to get this off please tell me... I'm up a creek right now! Can't put it all back together until I figure this out and I would hate to have to tow to mechanic just for this failure on my part... Well I could reassemble and then take to a mechanic to do that seal, but they would charge hundreds for something I know I should be able to do!

This is similar to my transmission on the left... but both have a similar swivel thing... I have looked all over the net and everything says or points to a pin that goes all the way through and must be removed before you can move this part... But mine doesn't have such a pin at all! Please help : (

This is an example of one with the pin I have sought out and been told I have to remove.... But mine doesn't have the pin like everything says and points to!

Old 07-12-15, 08:19 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes there's a pin that needs to be tapped out. Once you get that you're good to go! Hope this helps

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...rimLevel=19105
Old 11-30-22, 09:34 AM
Nztr
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shift shaft seal

Need to slide the metal sleeve down. Then you'll see the pin

Originally Posted by Bugnation2
Hello. I have a 2008 IS250. I noticed leaking near rear main seal but then realized the actual "Shift Shaft Seal" above the rear main seal is completely out so I'm losing fluid quick! I already replaced rear main seal to be on the safe side, but I need to replace the shift shaft seal as well, however I can't seem to figure out how to get the swivel piece off, I got the linkage piece off from it but I can't get the actual swivel out of my way so I can completely remove the seal and replace it! I am providing a photo of what I'm talking about, if anyone knows how to get this off please tell me... I'm up a creek right now! Can't put it all back together until I figure this out and I would hate to have to tow to mechanic just for this failure on my part... Well I could reassemble and then take to a mechanic to do that seal, but they would charge hundreds for something I know I should be able to do!

This is similar to my transmission on the left... but both have a similar swivel thing... I have looked all over the net and everything says or points to a pin that goes all the way through and must be removed before you can move this part... But mine doesn't have such a pin at all! Please help : (

This is an example of one with the pin I have sought out and been told I have to remove.... But mine doesn't have the pin like everything says and points to!

The following users liked this post:
timmy0tool (11-30-22)