IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fuel Pressure Sensor replacement after recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 07:03 AM
penone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Sensor replacement after recall

I did the recall for the fuel pressure sensor gasket and the service advisor told me that the fuel sensor needed to be replaced. Quote for that was $ 960.42.

Went online and see that Lexus South Atlanta has the part for $ 255.00. Is replacing the fuel pressure sensor something that is relatively easy (ie. I can do it myself or have a regular mechanic do it) or is it a lot more complicated than what it looks? I'm trying to see why the dealer would charge so much.
Old 06-26-15, 12:03 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Any why did he say it needed to be replaced? Because they probably broke it during the recall?
Old 06-26-15, 12:21 PM
penone
Driver

They just told me it needed to be replaced. No reason. I did ask how they were able to do the recall with the sensor needing to be replaced and they said that all the recall was is the tightening of a gasket and one had nothing to do with the other. Even if they did break it while doing the recall there is no way for me to prove that and they would certainly never admit it.
Old 06-26-15, 12:37 PM
Gville350

Funny, word-for-word from Lexus.com about that recall says nothing about just a re-torque. Clearly says to replace the seal :

Title
Safety Recall ELF - Remedy Notice - Various Models - Potential Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak

Status
Remedy Available

Description
In the subject vehicles, the sealing property of the gasket seated in between the pressure sensor and the fuel delivery pipe could become degraded. During vehicle operation, fuel could leak past the gasket.

Remedy
Any authorized Lexus dealership will repair the fuel pressure sensor sealing surface and replace the gasket at No Charge to you.

Recall Date
October 15, 2014

Dealer Reference ID
ELF

NHTSA Recall ID
14V647
Old 06-26-15, 12:50 PM
penone
Driver

Good point. Except that it says replace gasket - not the fuel pressure sensor itself.
Old 06-26-15, 01:36 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Yes, the sensor is removed, the mating surfaces are cleaned/sanded and then a new gasket is installed and the sensor is retorqued to get the gasket just before it deforms to make sure it is sealed. If they did the recall, they took the sensor off to do it.

Jeff
Old 06-26-15, 01:45 PM
penone
Driver

Just to the SA again and he starting mumbling something about a only a gasket being replaced and that it was the fuel sensor rail that was the problem. Honestly, this is beyond me. I am trying to have Lexus honor the CSP for the engine misfires (that's a whole other story with Lexus Corp) and this SA knows about it. he mentioned that I should wait to see if Lexus approves the CSP that way I will only need to pay for the part on the fuel sensor fix.

I'm totally lost here.
Old 06-26-15, 02:22 PM
Gville350

What I was attempting to point out was that they either lied or didn't do the correct procedural recall routine per my copied verbiage. I understood the sensor wasn't the recall, only the gasket; but the fact that you mentioned they only torqued something leads me to believe they didn't do something correctly.

Now it sounds like they're changing their story. WTF!
Old 06-26-15, 04:12 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Since they had the sensor out when they were doing the recall already, there shouldn't be any additional labour to change it. Or did they put an already damaged sensor back into your car?

I would want to know exactly what is wrong with exactly which part, what the part costs, what the labour costs, and if it was damaged before they did the recall. The sensor was removed to do the recall, so did they put an already faulty part back in, or is it something else that's wrong?

You need exact details that I don't think they're giving you.

Jeff
Old 06-26-15, 04:41 PM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like they broke it while uninstalling/reinstalling it and only discovered the issue when they tried to start the car after finishing the recall labor.

I imagine you would have had a check engine light and/or problems with starting/driving/idling if there was a preexisting problem with the fuel pressure sensor. If I were you, I would push very hard that the car was fine when you brought it in (assuming that it actually was) and you expect that they will not charge you to fix something that was fine before they touched it. If you still can't get anywhere, give the service manager a call/email. Sorry to hear about the annoying situation...hope it works out well.
Old 06-27-15, 11:41 AM
NghtWng250
Driver School Candidate

I've done dozens of these recalls myself, the sensor is definitely removed. Part of the recall is coating the threads of the sensor with an aerosol spray and cleaning the mating surface so it's impossible to due without removal.

That being said, as the sensor is spun out there is a small wiring harness that you have to spin with the sensor (roughly 7" long with a connector on the other end). If you don't spin the harness with the sensor it can cause the wires to break, something Lexus warns of in the directions for
the recall. It's not unlikely that the tech doing your recall simply broke one of those wires causing
the whole sensor to need to be replaced, although I am pretty sure you have to get the fuel rail assembly to get a replacement sensor which would explain the cost. But if you went in with no prior issues and no check engine light the sensor was definitely damaged during the recall.
Old 08-19-15, 06:17 PM
LoweredLex
Driver School Candidate

I had the same issue with Lexus when the recall was done. I contacted Lexus Corporate multiple times because i did not feel that i should pay for the part since the recall is about that sensor leaking. They refused to help me at all and told me i had to purchase the sensor myself end of story. The adviser did give me some advice as a friend more than employee. The part from Lexus is so expensive because it comes with the sensor already connected to the fuel rail and that whole system is now one part. Now my car has already had all those other parts replaced over the years, under recalls, and he did not think it would be smart to keep removing so many parts dealing with the injectors and what not. I have 260k miles on the car as well, but his advice to me was to order the sensor offline, in which case i would not have to spend as much or replace unnecessary parts. The only help i got from the dealership would be labor if i had the new sensor with me when they did the recall for the gasket. Lexus wont help at all for the sensor if it needs replaced. I went online found aftermarket sensors for $100 or so. I found OEM sensors that were $250, and that is just the sensor itself. My advice is to just order the sensor offline, if they have already done the recall you can do it yourself or maybe they would still cover labor costs if you were able to get an adviser to help you out some. Even with my fuel rail being replaced, the tightening of the sensor and the new recall for the replacement of the gasket recall, Lexus refused any help. So your probably wasting time trying to get any. I would do what i did, save a good bit of money and call it a day.
My car would not run because of the sensor, i unplugged it and the car ran fine and i was able to drive it to a dealership and save a tow bill.. I am still shocked that tightening the sensor for a leak, then having to replace the sensor for the leak, still doesn't land on them when the sensor fails for replacement costs. But i tried all i could so i just dealt with it so i could get back on the road and be done with it
Old 08-20-15, 11:12 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I refuse to get ANY of the recalls done. My car has been running perfectly for 9+ years. If it hasn't happened by now, it's not going to.

Each time I get an oil change at Lexus they pull some crap like "we can't legally let the car leave without doing the recall service". I say ok, show me where it says that, let me call my lawyer. They quickly backtrack.
Old 08-20-15, 01:04 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

If you drive your Lexus to the dealership you should be able to drive it away in at least as good condition as when it arrived! If not it's dealers fault!
Old 08-20-15, 02:21 PM
Gville350

On this fuel pressure recall or whatever you want to call it, I think I'm going to "Timbo" this one and tell them don't bother.

On the other hand, PLEASE replace my dash and door panels!

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Sensor replacement after recall