IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fuel Pressure Sensor replacement after recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-15, 02:41 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Depends, I've seen a few that do end up leaking fuel because of this, but they need to be very careful when removing that sensor. There are like 3 warnings about it in the recall instructions.

There are definitely some recalls I am hesitant to get done sometimes.

Jeff
Old 08-21-15, 05:11 AM
penone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LoweredLex
I had the same issue with Lexus when the recall was done. I contacted Lexus Corporate multiple times because i did not feel that i should pay for the part since the recall is about that sensor leaking. They refused to help me at all and told me i had to purchase the sensor myself end of story. The adviser did give me some advice as a friend more than employee. The part from Lexus is so expensive because it comes with the sensor already connected to the fuel rail and that whole system is now one part. Now my car has already had all those other parts replaced over the years, under recalls, and he did not think it would be smart to keep removing so many parts dealing with the injectors and what not. I have 260k miles on the car as well, but his advice to me was to order the sensor offline, in which case i would not have to spend as much or replace unnecessary parts. The only help i got from the dealership would be labor if i had the new sensor with me when they did the recall for the gasket. Lexus wont help at all for the sensor if it needs replaced. I went online found aftermarket sensors for $100 or so. I found OEM sensors that were $250, and that is just the sensor itself. My advice is to just order the sensor offline, if they have already done the recall you can do it yourself or maybe they would still cover labor costs if you were able to get an adviser to help you out some. Even with my fuel rail being replaced, the tightening of the sensor and the new recall for the replacement of the gasket recall, Lexus refused any help. So your probably wasting time trying to get any. I would do what i did, save a good bit of money and call it a day.
My car would not run because of the sensor, i unplugged it and the car ran fine and i was able to drive it to a dealership and save a tow bill.. I am still shocked that tightening the sensor for a leak, then having to replace the sensor for the leak, still doesn't land on them when the sensor fails for replacement costs. But i tried all i could so i just dealt with it so i could get back on the road and be done with it
Is replacing the FPS an easy DIY or better to have a pro do it?
Old 08-21-15, 09:30 AM
LoweredLex
Driver School Candidate

The sensor itself, without all the extra parts it just a nut attached to the sensor, with a small set of wires leading to the plug which is quite short. If you unplug the sensor from the connector first. And then loosen the but I don't see any risk spinning the wires together ( I've read to be careful with that, and it makes sense if it was still connected )
I haven't done it yet but I don't see it being very difficult and it's right on top of the motor. In the picture you see the sensor tip is apart of the nut, so I see no issues as long as it's disconnected and you can spin the wires with it.
Old 08-21-15, 12:38 PM
penone
Driver

Originally Posted by LoweredLex
The sensor itself, without all the extra parts it just a nut attached to the sensor, with a small set of wires leading to the plug which is quite short. If you unplug the sensor from the connector first. And then loosen the but I don't see any risk spinning the wires together ( I've read to be careful with that, and it makes sense if it was still connected )
I haven't done it yet but I don't see it being very difficult and it's right on top of the motor. In the picture you see the sensor tip is apart of the nut, so I see no issues as long as it's disconnected and you can spin the wires with it.
Thanks. Looks simple enough. Haven't gotten a CEL in awhile (knock on wood) but may change it as I do get a slight gas smell from time to time.
Old 01-26-16, 10:02 PM
Nick3gs
Driver School Candidate

Any easy way to unplug the sensor I been trying to unplug mine and I'm having a hard time
Old 01-27-16, 04:05 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Before receiving your Register tags, you must have the sensor recall completed. I believe that law started last year and now my reg shows I must have it completed. Thank your Senate for that Act.
Old 01-02-17, 08:14 AM
Tomgranier
Driver School Candidate

Default How difficult to replace high pressure fuel sensor

Hi.
Im new to forum and would appreciate some info on fuel pressure sensor replacement.
Dealer quoted 1900 to do this, fuel rail included.
How difficult is the sensor replacement if I obtain one ?
thanks
tom
Old 01-02-17, 08:17 AM
Tomgranier
Driver School Candidate

Also, one of the previous posts said that disconnecting the sensor will allow me to avoid towing, just double checking.
Thanks
Old 01-02-17, 09:02 AM
Mason123
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomgranier
Hi.
Im new to forum and would appreciate some info on fuel pressure sensor replacement.
Dealer quoted 1900 to do this, fuel rail included.
How difficult is the sensor replacement if I obtain one ?
thanks
tom
it takes about an hour to replace the sensor. Did mine about a year ago, lexus will tell you that the sensor is unavailable by itself and tell you that you need a fuel rail but you can get the sensor by itself from lexus. Their part number for the sensor is 89458-30011, I had a buddy that worked at toyota order it for me but don't believe that they cant get the sensor by itself it wont have a warranty unless you get the rail but you don't need the rail
Old 01-02-17, 12:29 PM
Tomgranier
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Mason. 👍
Old 10-20-17, 08:41 PM
Ravens5252
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mason123
it takes about an hour to replace the sensor. Did mine about a year ago, lexus will tell you that the sensor is unavailable by itself and tell you that you need a fuel rail but you can get the sensor by itself from lexus. Their part number for the sensor is 89458-30011, I had a buddy that worked at toyota order it for me but don't believe that they cant get the sensor by itself it wont have a warranty unless you get the rail but you don't need the rail
please if anybody’s see my message, please help me. I was just quoted 1400 for fuel rail cause of sensor but is it easy to put on? And would it allow my car not to turn over upon push start? It turn once and never turn over again please help somebody email address is derek1hitman@gmail.com
Old 01-06-18, 03:55 PM
Eaxy
Driver School Candidate

Ravens 5252, did you figure out how to replace the fuel pressure sensor?
Old 01-06-18, 07:51 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaxy
Ravens 5252, did you figure out how to replace the fuel pressure sensor?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9759981
Old 03-13-18, 11:39 AM
Jeslaws1
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem after recall

I have a Lexus IS 250 2008. I have not had any problems with it but took it in for the airbag and fuel sensor gasket recall. After the recall about a week my car just died while I was driving. It started again several times but died about five times and I had to have it towed home. I brought it into Lexus and they told me that there was a short in the wiring harness on the fuel rail system. I'm wondering if this wiring harness is related to the replacement of the fuel sensor gasket?
Old 03-13-18, 12:33 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeslaws1
I have a Lexus IS 250 2008. I have not had any problems with it but took it in for the airbag and fuel sensor gasket recall. After the recall about a week my car just died while I was driving. It started again several times but died about five times and I had to have it towed home. I brought it into Lexus and they told me that there was a short in the wiring harness on the fuel rail system. I'm wondering if this wiring harness is related to the replacement of the fuel sensor gasket?
Probably, yes, but you'd need to see exactly where the issue is first to know.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Sensor replacement after recall