IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MOTORTREND 2IS comparison TEST. Good read !

Old 06-26-15, 06:36 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOTORTREND 2IS comparison TEST. Good read !

Pretty badass review of how good our IS350 really is. Good read for people trying to buy the car as well. Read on and enjoy !

Acura TL Type-S vs. Infiniti G35 Sport vs. Lexus IS 350

1) Lexus IS350 (The Lexus blasted to 60 mph in 4.9 sec. and to the quarter-mile mark at a blistering 13.5, which bests even the more expensive V-8-powered Audi S4.)

2) Infiniti G35 Sport ( The revitalized VQ powerplant now pumps out 306 bhp at 6800 rpm and 268 lb.-ft. of torque at 5200, allowing the Infiniti to race to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds and to the quarter mile in 13.9)

3) Acura TL Type-S

Infiniti G35 Sport

The new Infiniti G35 Sport was the odds-on favorite coming into the test. It’s the newest of the bunch, it possesses the strongest engine (tied with the Lexus), and it has distinct sports-car roots, sharing its drivetrain and platform with the Nissan 350Z. However, it brought up the rear here, being soundly pummeled by the Lexus and losing out to the less-powerful Acura. What gives? First of all, don’t let this outcome fool you into thinking that the G35 is an inferior vehicle, because it’s not. The reason the Lexus and Acura beat it is the G took the middle road — the IS 350 at the performance end of the spectrum and the TL Type-S on the touring end. And, as some politicians say about those in the middle of the road, they’re the first to get run over. Simply put, the G35 is a fine blend of sport and comfort that’s ideal for the grand-touring enthusiast who doesn’t always enjoy being on the wick.

But in case you do get the inkling to go fast, the G35 will not disappoint. The revitalized VQ powerplant now pumps out 306 bhp at 6800 rpm and 268 lb.-ft. of torque at 5200, allowing the Infiniti to race to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds and to the quarter mile in 13.9. That’s quicker than the last 350Z we tested. As impressive as the engine is, the rest of the drivetrain isn’t up to the same stand- ards. A high amount of vibration resonates through the 6-speed manual gearbox, and the take-up point of the clutch is like an on/off switch, making it nearly impossible to leave the line smoothly.

“The pedal engagement feel for the clutch is poor. And because of this, even though we usually applaud cars that come with manual transmissions, I’m thinking that I may prefer this one with an automatic. But I do like the gearbox. The linkage feels positive, and the shift action has a precise feel,” Hall remarked.

Through corners, the G35 feels eerily like the 350Z, with similar turn-in feel and handling balance. The major complaint is the steering, which is a bit numb and heavy. But the Infiniti feels stable thanks to the rigidity of the chassis — body stiffness has been increased 36 percent from the last model — and the sport-tuned suspension — upper and lower A-arms up front and multilink at the rear. With the VDC traction control on, the G35 behaves predictably and securely; turn it off, and the thing turns into a virtual drifting machine.

As far as looks go, the G35 impressed all. Its elegant exterior possesses a distinctive European flair that’s both sexy and tasteful. The headlights and grille have been restyled significantly, yet the face is still recognizable as a G. The car is a tad shorter than the Acura, with an overall length of 187.0 in., and rear-seat and luggage space rank second subjectively behind the TL. The interior design and ergonomics are the cleanest of the bunch, with an easy-to-use control center that commands the navigation, stereo and ventilation systems.

“Nice refreshing styling update both inside and out. I particularly like the navigation system because it gives the driver many methods of operation. You can use buttons if you want to or the touch-screen feature. It takes all of five minutes to get acquainted with it,” Elfalan noted.

The price of the G35 is also one of its strong points. A base G35 Sport will run you $32,250 while our G35 Sport, generously equipped, came in at $37,950. It’s a lot of car for the money, and one that caters to both driving purists and Sybarites alike.

Lexus IS350

When driving the Lexus IS 350, it’s easy to forget that it’s a sedan. Virtually everything about the car, aside from its looks, says “sports car.” It all starts when you push the engine start button. The VVT-i-equipped 3.5-liter V-6 comes to life with a ferocious growl, and you won’t be able to resist giving the throttle pedal a few extra taps just to hear the throaty exhaust note again. Then it’s off to the races. Punch the throttle and every bit of the engine’s 306 bhp and 277 lb.-ft. of torque is transferred to the rear wheels via a smooth-shifting 6-speed automatic transmission.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE050 tires grab hold immediately, and the IS 350 leaps off the line. For our best acceleration runs, we left the transmission in full auto mode, letting the computer perform the upshifts, which it did quickly and smoothly at or near the 6600-rpm redline. The Lexus blasted to 60 mph in 4.9 sec. and to the quarter-mile mark at a blistering 13.5, which bests even the more expensive V-8-powered Audi S4.

“What a great engine. It’s silky-smooth, quiet, but really potent. It’s hard to believe that the Lexus and Infiniti have the same horsepower with roughly the same curb weight. The IS feels that much quicker,” Hall noted.

On meandering roads, the IS 350 becomes a weapon, as the car’s agile nature comes to the fore. The steering is super quick, and when combined with a rigid body structure and optional sport suspension, turn-in response is good. The transmission’s manual mode works well, allowing the driver to change gears with paddles behind the steering wheel, à la Formula 1. Although not as fast as manual-based transmissions like BMW’s SMG and Audi’s DSG, gear changes were quick and precise. The IS 350 exhibits razor-sharp reflexes through left/right transitions, as evidenced by its 66.7-mph slalom run, but through tight turns, the Lexus has an overwhelming tendency to understeer. In fact, it’s a task getting the rear end out, even with traction and yaw control switched off. Its overanxious penchant for going straight showed in the IS 350’s skidpad performance, as it registered a mediocre 0.84g.

“The IS 350 handles relatively well for a sports sedan, but has a noticeably safe setup, as it understeers when pushed to its limits. That isn’t to say that it won’t oversteer, especially with the stability control completely turned off. It just has to be deliberately induced,” Elfalan noted.

The shock and spring rates of the sport suspension are significantly firmer than on the base setup, so ride quality tends to be choppy over rough surfaces. The suspension system is similar to that of the Acura and Infiniti — upper and lower A-arms up front and multilink at the rear.

Interior space is also at a premium in the IS. Those taller than 6 ft. will lack knee room in the rear seat, especially if another 6-footer sits in front, and although there’s enough width for two adults back there, don’t ask three to share that space. The base price of the IS 350 is rather reasonable at $35,705, but our test car came equipped with the sport suspension and navigation packages that brought the grand total to $43,980. But even with the highest price tag in the group, the Lexus IS 350 had no problem winning this contest. It’s that good of a car.

Acura TL Type-S

Granted, the Acura TL was at a disadvantage right at the start. It’s the oldest car of the bunch, with an all-new model due out fairly soon, and it’s the only one here that’s front-wheel drive. That said, the Type-S version is new for 2007 (resurrected after a three-year hiatus), adding a shot of adrenaline to the TL lineup. In short, the Type-S acts like a base TL wired on Red Bull.

The TL’s styling has aged gracefully. Despite its somewhat radical exterior design defined by sharp angles and a scowling RoboCop face, the best-selling Acura looked relatively fresh and attractive when parked next to the two newer mounts in this test. Type-S accouterments include front and rear fascias, black chrome trim, wider side sills and funky-yet-sporty looking 17-in. alloy wheels.

The TL measures 189.8 in. from bumper to bumper, making it the largest car of this trio. This translates to more space inside the sheet metal, where we found the roomiest rear seat and best trunk. The interior styling of the TL also remains fresh, with first-rate fit-and-finish and all controls within easy reach of the driver. The only complaint here from one staff member was about the similar-size buttons on the center console, making it hard for him to push the correct one without taking his eyes off the road. Also, our test car’s touch-screen display wasn’t accurate; where your finger pressed wasn’t always what registered. For example, if you pressed the letter “L,” the letter “K” would sometimes appear. Note: Other Acuras we drove didn’t have this problem.

“The interior fit-and-finish is excellent, and the center console controls operate with precision and a high-quality feel.The material that covers the dashboard is of good quality, but it doesn’t seem as nice as that in the Infiniti and Lexus,” Hall commented.

What really differentiates the Type-S from the rest of the TLs is the engine. Under the hood is a 3.5-liter V-6 with VTEC that produces 286 bhp at 6200 rpm and 256 lb.-ft. of torque at 5000. Although it lacks the gusto of the other two here, it’s by far the smoothest. Drive the car in a civil manner, and it revs effortlessly, providing seamless power delivery from idle all the way to its 6800-rpm redline. Drive it hard, and VTEC makes its presence known, as the intake cams change profiles at 4950 rpm, providing an extra kick higher in the rev range. The 6-speed manual gearbox is the best transmission here (and may well be the best manual in the entire segment); the linkage has a solid overall feel, and the gates are well defined. Also, close gear ratios keep the engine consistently on the cams when driving the car spiritedly. But when it comes to acceleration, power is the name of the game, and the lack of it hurt the Type-S at the test track. It ranked last to 60 mph and through the quarter mile (5.7 and 14.3 sec., respectively).

“This V-6 is very nice, despite having the least amount of power of the three. The power delivery is smooth, and the VTEC makes this thing a hoot when you get on it,” Elfalan said.

Usually the label “front-wheel drive” equates to a negative in sporty-car comparison tests in Road & Track, but that’s hardly the case here. Drive the Acura at about 7/10ths and you’ll hardly realize that the front tires are providing the thrust. The overall handling balance is surprisingly neutral with understeer noticeable only through tight corners.

Torque steer is present when mashing the throttle pedal coming out of turns, but it’s so slight, it’s hardly an issue. Turn-in response is crisp and body roll is minimal. Credit here goes to the Acura’s rigid body, quick steering response, tuned suspension system — upper and lower A-arms up front and a multilink setup at the rear — and a helical gear-type limited-slip diff that’s standard fare on 6-speed manual transmission models. Around the 200-ft. skidpad, the Type-S outperforms many rear-drive cars, including the two here, posting 0.91g. It ran through the slalom at 66.0 mph, giving it 2nd-place honors.

What’s impressive about the TL Type-S is that it also has a smooth ride quality. We all agreed that for a cross-country trip, the TL would be our choice. And at $38,795 for a fully-loaded version, the Type-S is an attractive choice no matter what the venue.

Conclusion
Although you wouldn’t know it by looking at the ratings chart, this was one of the most closely contested battles in recent memory. One small variation here or there could easily have swung the result in a different direction. For example, what if our G35 Sport was equipped with an automatic transmission? What if our driving route consisted of more stretches of Interstate than twisting roads? The answer to these questions will be found on another day, but for now, the Lexus IS 350 is the king of the Japanese sports-sedan hill. But most important of all, these three sedans surpassed our expectations in performance and touring, and have earned the right to shed the “near luxury” moniker. After an extended stint in any one of these cars, “near nirvana” becomes a more apt descriptor.

Last edited by JDMToyotas; 06-26-15 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-26-15, 06:43 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Looking back on it. Lexus F-sport parts weren't made at the time so installing them now on we can enhance the car even more.

Last edited by JDMToyotas; 06-26-15 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-26-15, 07:36 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Good read. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-26-15, 07:44 AM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMToyotas
Looking back on it. Lexus F-sport parts weren't made at the time so installing them now on we can enhance the car even more. I feel many people take away from the IS being sport car by slapping big wheels on it.. It's a performance sedan but many of builds I see don't use it as such.
F-Sport parts make a big difference to the handling dynamics of the base IS (Slalom speeds at 71 mph and Skidpad figures at 0.89g).

Old 06-26-15, 07:53 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Initial G
Good read. Thanks for sharing.
Your welcome. I have been meaning to post this for a while now.
Old 06-26-15, 07:57 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

F-Sport parts make a big difference to the handling dynamics of the base IS (Slalom speeds at 71 mph and Skidpad figures at 0.89g).

Good stuff. I don't understand why don't Lexus sale a IS that fully kitted out with every F-sport part and make it a model to buy instead of having them as options. This would be a true F-sport model that would dog the competition.

Last edited by JDMToyotas; 06-26-15 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-26-15, 08:22 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Although I largely agree with the outcome among these cars, in later years the G37 was a better comparison to the IS350. Also these articles always have to be taken with a grain of salt:
"What a great engine. It’s silky-smooth, quiet, but really potent."

"The VVT-i-equipped 3.5-liter V-6 comes to life with a ferocious growl, and you won’t be able to resist giving the throttle pedal a few extra taps just to hear the throaty exhaust note again.

So which is it, quiet, or ferocious and throaty?! Personally I think anyone who thinks the stock exhaust is ferocious or throaty needs a hearing exam.
Old 06-26-15, 08:27 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Although I largely agree with the outcome among these cars, in later years the G37 was a better comparison to the IS350. Also these articles always have to be taken with a grain of salt:
"What a great engine. It’s silky-smooth, quiet, but really potent."

"The VVT-i-equipped 3.5-liter V-6 comes to life with a ferocious growl, and you won’t be able to resist giving the throttle pedal a few extra taps just to hear the throaty exhaust note again.

So which is it, quiet, or ferocious and throaty?! Personally I think anyone who thinks the stock exhaust is ferocious or throaty needs a hearing exam.
I think they were just comparing the engines characteristics in normal driving situations and when revving/driving it hard. What they are saying its legit. The car has a dual personality. I own a 350. It can be quite and smooth then a second layer the second later the engine sounds angry like it wants to leap out the hood
Old 06-26-15, 08:48 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The transmission’s manual mode works well, allowing the driver to change gears with paddles behind the steering wheel, à la Formula 1. Although not as fast as manual-based transmissions like BMW’s SMG and Audi’s DSG, gear changes were quick and precise.
I love my IS350 and agree with their conclusion, but they completely lost me after this line
Old 06-26-15, 11:12 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
I love my IS350 and agree with their conclusion, but they completely lost me after this line
Lol I was scratching my head on that one too. I had to read it a couple times and just Lol'd