IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Installed AEM DRYFLOW air filter - quest for better gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-15, 01:54 PM
20LS01
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed AEM DRYFLOW air filter - quest for better gas mileage

I got my Is250 about a month ago and i've been averaging 26.5 mpg. Thats not too bad but itching for more considering I'm spoiled by my integra's mpg. I added an AEM SRI with dryflow filter to my integra years ago and immediately notice about a 3mpg increase. This sounds bogus but I was blown away too when my miles per tank went from 340 to about 380. I attribute this to mostly the air filter as it has better CFM's than oem filters.

Bought this AEM Dryflow hoping it will mirror the results i got on my integra. I got it on ebay for about $54. No oiling and will last the life of your vehicle.

Here are some pics

Size comparison:

Installed: Fits very snuggly

If anyone is interested, i will report back to see if this has helped my mpg. Even if there are no changes, i know i'll never have to buy a filter again.
Old 06-25-15, 02:29 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow +40 miles/tank on the teg, nice! Hope you see positive results with the IS
Old 06-25-15, 04:52 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If it work going to try it on wife IS250z
Old 06-25-15, 06:10 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Hum I got one on my IS350, I got about 23 combine MPG
Old 06-25-15, 06:20 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ 23 mpg BUT you have 100 more hp. I'll take that all day long over 3 more mpg.
Old 06-25-15, 06:28 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Sorry, but a high flow air filter will not have much (if any) impact on fuel economy on a modern fuel-injected car like the IS.

The biggest impediment to airflow through the engine (at anything but WOT) is not the air filter, it is the throttle. If your new filter flows more air more easily, the MAF will see that extra air, and the ECU will close the throttle a bit to compensate. In either case, the ECU will inject the same amount of fuel.

If the air filter really did work miracles on your Integra, I can only assume that it was an old one with a carb.
Old 06-25-15, 07:46 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely get you wanting better fuel mileage but I honestly wouldn't complain about 26.5 per gallon. My wife drives the 350 pretty damn hard and I wouldn't have a valid driver's license if I drove it daily.... And to be honest, the IS driven "normally" gets better gas mileage than my 4cyl Honda Accord.
Old 06-25-15, 08:06 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

My wife 2007 IS250 get 24.5 mpg. My 2008 IS350 get 23 mpg. I like to drive with sport mode on and paddle shift.
Old 06-25-15, 10:42 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Sorry, but a high flow air filter will not have much (if any) impact on fuel economy on a modern fuel-injected car like the IS.

The biggest impediment to airflow through the engine (at anything but WOT) is not the air filter, it is the throttle. If your new filter flows more air more easily, the MAF will see that extra air, and the ECU will close the throttle a bit to compensate. In either case, the ECU will inject the same amount of fuel.

If the air filter really did work miracles on your Integra, I can only assume that it was an old one with a carb.
Well said! Car companies spent millions (if not billions) to improve fuel efficiency and i would not think that they would passed up on a solution as simple as a $50 air filter!
My commute (with the IS350) is 90%HW + 10% city with heavy traffic and got about 22.7MPG (pretty hard on rhe accelerator). The MPG increases to about 24.5 with light traffic.
Old 06-26-15, 03:29 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

I too noticed slightly better performance and gas mileage when I switched to the Fsport reusable filter. But that's just because the OEM paper filter was old and dirty.
Old 06-26-15, 08:18 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

If the new air filter flows air more easily, then you might see an improvement in fuel economy even after the ECU adjusts the A/F, just because there is not as much pressure drop getting the air thru the filter. That said, I don't think it will be enough to see much in the way of improvement. Your talking a few inches of water pressure change, not a couple of psi or anything. 1 psi = 26.7 inches of water, and maybe you'd see an improvement of 6 or 7 inches of water (that is just a guess).

Paper filters are commonly said to do the best job of filtering dust and such from the air. But at the expense of a slightly higher pressure drop. Reusable filters flow more air, but at the expense of more particulate getting into the engine and also they have to be cleaned more often. I've got an AFE on mine ATM, but I might go back to stock. I think I prefer the thought of cleaner air. I might try a reusable amsoil filter when I renew my subscription with them and get more oil. Those are supposed to filter as well as paper, they are reusable. Don't know how often they need to be cleaned.
Old 06-26-15, 10:01 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

You are missing my point. The butterfly valve in the throttle that you control with your right foot is causing a far bigger pressure drop in the airflow through the engine than the air filter is. You want less pressure drop? Just step on the gas a little harder, which opens the throttle and lets in far more air than a less restrictive air filter would. It only makes a difference at full throttle, when the throttle plate is no longer a restriction, and even then it's more about better performance than better fuel economy.

From the SAE, talking about dirty air filters, but also applicable here:

"Older studies of carbureted gasoline vehicles have indicated that replacing a clogged or dirty air filter can improve vehicle fuel economy and, conversely, that a dirty air filter can be significantly detrimental to fuel economy. In contrast, a recent study showed that the fuel economy of modern gasoline vehicles is virtually unaffected by filter clogging due to the closed loop control and throttled operation of these engines."

And

"Results reveal insignificant fuel economy and emissions sensitivity of modern vehicles to air filter condition, but measureable effects on the 1972 vehicle. All vehicles experienced a measured acceleration performance penalty with clogged intake air filters."

From: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...e-performance/

Last edited by Bichon; 06-26-15 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-29-15, 06:40 PM
20LS01
Driver

I have an mini update:

120 miles into this tank, i am averaging 32.2 mpg according to the info screen. I've never seen it average more than 29. This tank so far is about 100 miles highway with some stop and go traffic and ac on the entire time. I will report back when this tank is empty and calculate miles driven by gallons filled. 120 miles and about 1/5 tank used.

Old 06-29-15, 08:21 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 20LS01
I have an mini update:

120 miles into this tank, i am averaging 32.2 mpg according to the info screen. I've never seen it average more than 29. This tank so far is about 100 miles highway with some stop and go traffic and ac on the entire time. I will report back when this tank is empty and calculate miles driven by gallons filled. 120 miles and about 1/5 tank used.

Most I got was 28.3 mpg 300 highway 2007 IS250.
Old 07-02-15, 04:51 PM
20LS01
Driver

another minor update:
278.3 miles, info screen registering at 33 mpg. currently at a tick below half tank. I am getting about 3 mpg more than last tank which registered at 29mpg from the info screen.

Last edited by 20LS01; 07-03-15 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Installed AEM DRYFLOW air filter - quest for better gas mileage