IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DDM Tuning Roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 05:32 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts
Exclamation DDM Tuning Roadtrip

My fellow Lexus Club Members from near and far!

I am doing a roadtrip from California to Texas. I'm afraid my DDM tuning headlights will randomly die on me along the way. I had no issues with it since I installed it over a year ago.

I was wondering if I should buy an extra set of bulbs or an extra HID kit just in case something happens? Or should I buy a set of regular Halogen bulbs? Or, yes yes, does anyone recommend I suck it up and buy the Morimoto HID kits? P.S. I've had the DDM tuning kit on another car for 3 years and no issues!

Also, as you know the Lexus IS 250 RWD sucks at tire rotations, etc. No matter what I do with the monthly alignments, the tire still runs out more on the inside.

Would it be safe and ok for these tires that have uneven wear to drive that many miles?

Also, any advice on how to drive there, things to check before I leave in my car, etc would be great!

Thanks guys!!
Old 06-15-15, 07:31 AM
Zatrekaz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any reason to think they will go out? I have had DDM HIDs on two cars, including my IS and have never had any issues. If you are concerned about the possibility, just buy yourself a cheap set of halogen bulbs and keep them in your car.

As for the tires.. that's not something we can really answer without seeing the tires. Is it safe to drive on a tire with uneven wear? Yes, as long as the tire is not bald or very low on tread. That's something you have to determine yourself, or let a shop look at them and say.

I would simply check all your normal things before leaving.. tire pressure, fluid levels (coolant, washer, ect), get an oil change if it's needed, maybe throw some fuel cleaner in with your tank of gas...
Old 06-15-15, 07:37 AM
jdmek998
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Just check everything like Zatrek said. And just drive the car. You should be fine.
Old 06-15-15, 01:04 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Zatrekaz
Do you have any reason to think they will go out? I have had DDM HIDs on two cars, including my IS and have never had any issues. If you are concerned about the possibility, just buy yourself a cheap set of halogen bulbs and keep them in your car.

As for the tires.. that's not something we can really answer without seeing the tires. Is it safe to drive on a tire with uneven wear? Yes, as long as the tire is not bald or very low on tread. That's something you have to determine yourself, or let a shop look at them and say.

I would simply check all your normal things before leaving.. tire pressure, fluid levels (coolant, washer, ect), get an oil change if it's needed, maybe throw some fuel cleaner in with your tank of gas...
Thanks! No reason for them to go out. Had zero issues. Relay harnesses. I think it's a mental thing. haha

BTW, do you know if Michelin Super Sports wear less than the new Michelin Super sport AS/3?

I'm wondering why they have them on all the performance cars still even though the new AS/3's came out. I know the A/S3 is in all weather tire, but the reviews said it did better with wet grip than other summer tires. Another BIG debate, but just wondering on some regular user's opinions.
Old 06-15-15, 04:36 PM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I keep a spare relay handy. Had one crap out on me several years ago. Same thing happened to my bro-in-law.

Last edited by valeoray; 06-17-15 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-17-15, 12:29 AM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Also, as you know the Lexus IS 250 RWD sucks at tire rotations, etc. No matter what I do with the monthly alignments, the tire still runs out more on the inside.
If it is just on the fronts, then you are a candidate for FIGS #2 LCA bushings. Good luck with your road trip!
Old 06-17-15, 06:48 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't have any issues now with your lights, I'd leave them. The tires as said, if you drive in them now then you can continue to drive on them. One thing not mentioned is having a spare tire and properly inflated and all the tools associated with changing the tire. Have fun.
Old 06-17-15, 09:52 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you havent had any issues in 3 years then i doubt you will have any issues on your trip... Plus idk if you plan on driving at night a lot to even have them on.

And if you have any issues, DDM HQ is in Cali anyway so go harass them (http://www.ddmtuning.com/contact/)

Also if your tires have really bad uneven tire wear, I would still run them down as much as you can so you can buy a new set. either way you will be fine on both fronts
Old 06-17-15, 06:16 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Thanks! No reason for them to go out. Had zero issues. Relay harnesses. I think it's a mental thing. haha

BTW, do you know if Michelin Super Sports wear less than the new Michelin Super sport AS/3?

I'm wondering why they have them on all the performance cars still even though the new AS/3's came out. I know the A/S3 is in all weather tire, but the reviews said it did better with wet grip than other summer tires. Another BIG debate, but just wondering on some regular user's opinions.
First and foremost your tire question is one that is easy. Check the treadwear rating on tirerack for both model of tires. The higher the treadwear the longer they will last. Track tires that are super soft will have a really low treadwear rating. All season tires usually have higher treadwear rating and will last much longer.

Another thing that will effect how long they last is your driving style and environment. If you live in an area that has large temperature swings in a short amount of time your tires will naturally inflate/deflate due to the temperature. Over time you will lose tire pressure and this can cause premature wear. If your mornings are in the 30's and your afternoons reach 85-90 degrees keep an eye on your tire pressure for optimal tire wear.

You should balance out the performance of the tire & treadwear/longevity with your driving style. Last thing you need is an underperforming tire that will be dangerous. If you drive your car like a grandma and use it strictly as point A to B transportation get some of the highest treadwear rating tires you can find. Also note that not all tires are created equally. Stick with name brand tires as your life and the lives of your passengers are important. Cheap Chinese made tires will pass our bare minimum DOT qualifications to be legally sold in the U.S. Only problem is these tires tend to be extreamly cheap in build quality and have a horrible track record of safety issues. Tire problems of the 1950 & early 1960's plague these no-name brand tires, bubbling sidewalls, tread separation, uneven wear to name a few.