IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-15, 09:47 AM
mcastro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations and welcome to the family. I was on the same boat as you last year. I wanted a 335 but heard about the reliability issues. A fellow co-worker has an '06 IS from new with no issues. so it was a no brainer.
Old 06-19-15, 09:56 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" I know that this car isn't the same "drivers car" as BMW's are but the trade off for reliability is more important to me. "

Did someone lie to you? Are your assuming it isn't a drivers car? Take it from me my 2006 IS350 is a drivers car no doubt in that. I already out ran/out driven a modded STI and BMW 7 series. It's Fast and responsive.

Especially when you start doing suspention upgrades to the car it makes it handle even better.
Old 06-20-15, 10:22 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
With a properly tuned suspension and chassis set-up, you can build an IS350 to be as much of a "driver's car" as a 335i.

If a 6MT is a "driver's car" requirement, SARD Japan has you covered (albeit a very hefty price).

Redspencer,

I've been reading your build blog. Your car is my favorite on this sight. What I like most is you are concentrating on the suspension and chassis setup. When are you going to get it out on a road course? I think a road trip up to VIR is in order 😉.

I've done Willowsprings in a car & Buttonwillow on a 2007 GSXR 600. Cars are fun on track but just not the same as it doesn't take nearly as much skill. I can't wait to get back out on the track. So much fun pushing a car to its limit.
Old 06-20-15, 06:38 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
Redspencer,

I've been reading your build blog. Your car is my favorite on this sight. What I like most is you are concentrating on the suspension and chassis setup. When are you going to get it out on a road course? I think a road trip up to VIR is in order 😉.

I've done Willowsprings in a car & Buttonwillow on a 2007 GSXR 600. Cars are fun on track but just not the same as it doesn't take nearly as much skill. I can't wait to get back out on the track. So much fun pushing a car to its limit.
Thanks for the kind words. Though I currently do solo events at nearby road courses in FL, it's a bit tough for me to do pilgrimages to famous race tracks like VIR since I have two toddlers to take care of. In a year or two, they'll be old enough for me to take them on long road trips so I can eventually take my IS to places like Tail of the Dragon.
Old 06-21-15, 05:32 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Thanks for the kind words. Though I currently do solo events at nearby road courses in FL, it's a bit tough for me to do pilgrimages to famous race tracks like VIR since I have two toddlers to take care of. In a year or two, they'll be old enough for me to take them on long road trips so I can eventually take my IS to places like Tail of the Dragon.
Redspencer,

How well do car seats fit in the back of your IS? I'll be starting a family soon enough and this is the primary reason for a 4 door sedan. Coming from fast vehicles and not wanting to mess with anything other than routine wear items brought me to Lexus. I could have spent a few thousand less and gotten a larger economy vehicle like an Accord or Camery, but I prefer the luxury & size of the IS350.

Looking forward to many more smiles and miles ahead in the car.

On a negative note the wife told me that she wants to put seat protectors on the car because the front seats are starting to show signs of cracking😡. This is a 2010 that I have not seen in person yet. I feel that part of buying a luxury vehicle is to plant your body into the supple leather of the car. Seat covers would eliminate any airflow through the ventilated seats & greatly reduce the effect of the heated seats during the cooler months. I'd like to find a part out car that has ivory leather seats from a 2010/2011vehicle. I know that 2010 had a refresh update with the electronics & I do not want to chance the wiring being different in an older model. I've always been one to take care of my vehicles and regularly use leather cleaner & conditioner. I typically do this two to three times a year to keep the leather soft and from drying out.

If anybody has an idea of where to search for part-out cars let me know. I'll post up a message in the classifieds that I'm looking for ivory leather 2010/2011 heated and venerated seats. Also searching craigslist and found some junk yard search engines $ eBay.
Old 06-21-15, 01:13 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
Redspencer,

How well do car seats fit in the back of your IS? I'll be starting a family soon enough and this is the primary reason for a 4 door sedan. Coming from fast vehicles and not wanting to mess with anything other than routine wear items brought me to Lexus. I could have spent a few thousand less and gotten a larger economy vehicle like an Accord or Camery, but I prefer the luxury & size of the IS350.

Looking forward to many more smiles and miles ahead in the car.
Yeah, starting a family is why I had to get rid of my weekend cars such as my Supra and SC430. Though some consider the rear seats of the 2IS to be too small, I find them to be just large enough considering the wheelbase of the 2IS is 107.5 inches.

There's a few rear facing car seats recommended on the forums that will fit snug in the back seat (I can't remember the models off the top of my head but you'll find them if you do a search). Once the first year is complete and you're able to switch to forward facing car seats, there will be even more room for the kids.