IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A Very Very Sad Day Indeed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-15, 07:36 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Time to upgrade the headlamps while at it, good to hear you are fine and good luck!

....and there it is the 9K mark!
Old 06-05-15, 09:49 PM
jyu1210
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. I had been in an accident once and it hurts just to see my personal car in a wrecked state.
Old 06-06-15, 07:06 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for your accident. Hopefully it's just a little skin that needs replaced. After the estimate is complete don't be surprised if the body shop finds another $3,000 to $4,000 in damage. I hope that if it is ifxed that it done properly and you don't notice anything. If it's totaled it's just a car that you can replace with another one. Maybe an ISF?

Good luck with what ever the news comes out to be.
Old 06-06-15, 11:46 PM
hocheung20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISPearl08
It was luckily hit high enough to not cause frame damage. Thanks to the pickup's height and my IS being lowered hehe!
Glad to hear you are OK, but you actually do NOT want this to happen in a collision. If your car underrides the bumper of the car ahead of you, none of the front crash protection structures have a chance to do their jobs. Your airbags also cannot deploy since the sensors are usually in the bumper as well.

Check out this video from the IIHS of what happens when cars hit the rear of bigrigs.
Old 06-07-15, 11:48 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup, you shouldn't be proud of the fact that your car went under. It just means that more of the shock of the impact was transmitted to the cabin and to you. Crumple zones are in cars for a reason.
Old 06-07-15, 03:23 PM
teemo
Driver School Candidate

damn

at least you're okay
Old 06-07-15, 05:28 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Now's the perfect time to get aftermarket front and rear bumpers, a new grill, and LED headlights!
Old 06-07-15, 07:26 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear. all that matters is you are okay.
Old 06-08-15, 11:03 AM
ISPearl08
Rookie

Originally Posted by lysis250
I can't tell you for sure because I haven't seen underneath your rear bumper but I was in a similar accident, I was pushed from behind into a pick up and my car had less damage in the front, long story short insurance totaled it, and none of my air bags went off as well.
Well that sucks. I hope this is not the case with me. I guess it depends in what ins. company you use and also I have a 350 which is worth more.

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Time to upgrade the headlamps while at it, good to hear you are fine and good luck!

....and there it is the 9K mark!
I thought the same exact thing LOL! Those LEDs would look sweet on the car. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jyu1210
Sorry to hear about that. I had been in an accident once and it hurts just to see my personal car in a wrecked state.
It definitely does. Thanks a bunch.

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
Sorry for your accident. Hopefully it's just a little skin that needs replaced. After the estimate is complete don't be surprised if the body shop finds another $3,000 to $4,000 in damage. I hope that if it is ifxed that it done properly and you don't notice anything. If it's totaled it's just a car that you can replace with another one. Maybe an ISF?

Good luck with what ever the news comes out to be.
Thank you. My body guy has been in the biz for a while and he already gave me an estimate of the damage. I'm sure there isn't any other surprises. An IS-F would be a nice alternative though.

Originally Posted by hocheung20
Glad to hear you are OK, but you actually do NOT want this to happen in a collision. If your car underrides the bumper of the car ahead of you, none of the front crash protection structures have a chance to do their jobs. Your airbags also cannot deploy since the sensors are usually in the bumper as well.

Check out this video from the IIHS of what happens when cars hit the rear of bigrigs. video
Wow didn't think of it that way. I guess I was just thinking from a cost perspective. Usually air bag deployment spells totaled. I definitely consider myself lucky it happened the way it did.

Originally Posted by NickTee
Yup, you shouldn't be proud of the fact that your car went under. It just means that more of the shock of the impact was transmitted to the cabin and to you. Crumple zones are in cars for a reason.
Duly noted man. Sometimes you don't see things for what they are until after the fact. Haven't been in an accident in about 15 years.

Originally Posted by teemo
damn

at least you're okay
Thanks bud!

Originally Posted by jennie
Now's the perfect time to get aftermarket front and rear bumpers, a new grill, and LED headlights!
Heck yeah! As I mentioned above the LEDs are on my list if the car doesn't get totaled out. Replacing the front bumper and hood will also be sweet since they both have rock chips from years of use. Now I can get fresh pieces and wrap them in Xpel clear bra.

Originally Posted by 600rr05
sorry to hear. all that matters is you are okay.
Definitely the most important aspect of this traumatic experience. Thank you for the words.
Old 06-08-15, 07:17 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well that sucks. I hope this is not the case with me. I guess it depends in what ins. company you use and also I have a 350 which is worth more.
I have Allstate, CA and NJ go about total loss the same way (cost of repairs plus scrap value must equal the pre-accident value of the car). In my opinion your damages are around the 10k mark because that is what mine were at however I haven't seen what your car looks like behind the bumper, scrap value of the car is probably roughly around 7k, I however have no idea the value of your car because I don't know the options you have. So with my rough calculations you will be really really close to a total loss or a total loss. You might have gotten lucky if your radiator support is still good and radiator is also good because mine was bent big time and radiator along with the AC condenser were also bent but didn't crack. Here are some pics of my car when I was in an accident so that you can compare the damages.
Attached Thumbnails A Very Very Sad Day Indeed.-rvvsmmefjpvnmeneg44k0vdtxgu4c_9ew0fphrby-50.jpg   A Very Very Sad Day Indeed.-fsj1rr2g1s8jqg7f9jjiujvthtd_9mhbsodgs-ikda8.jpg   A Very Very Sad Day Indeed.-dnzsl6svl0hyifgkv-m_ktf8ndr5lwhurv38kfvqfa0.jpg  
Old 06-09-15, 07:33 AM
ISPearl08
Rookie

Geez that looked rough. Glad you're ok. I may be wrong, but it looks like the car received some frame damage. That alone can drive the ins. co. to total the car. We'll see what they tell me. Still waiting. Should hear something today.
Old 06-09-15, 08:23 AM
Flexuus
Driver School Candidate

Here's to OP and the division of our pain. I crashed my 08' IS350 yesterday. Left turn, my fault, both parties are still well and alive. I'm still waiting for the insurance estimate atm; I will update the info if I have answers to any questions. I'm going to bed soon and am prepared for the coming nightmares.

Old 06-09-15, 05:55 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Geez that looked rough. Glad you're ok. I may be wrong, but it looks like the car received some frame damage. That alone can drive the ins. co. to total the car. We'll see what they tell me. Still waiting. Should hear something today.
Correct I had frame damage which leads me to think that your car also has some but since you don't have any pics of what's behind the bumpers nobody can tell, my main damage was the rear because I was rear ended while I was standing and the guy was going 65 pushed me into a lifted Chevy in front of me.
Old 06-10-15, 07:47 AM
ISPearl08
Rookie

Originally Posted by Flexuus
Here's to OP and the division of our pain. I crashed my 08' IS350 yesterday. Left turn, my fault, both parties are still well and alive. I'm still waiting for the insurance estimate atm; I will update the info if I have answers to any questions. I'm going to bed soon and am prepared for the coming nightmares.

Holy crap! So sorry to see that man. Another white 350 as well. I'm glad everyone made it out ok. Doesn't look pretty, but fingers crossed your insurance will fix it up.

Originally Posted by lysis250
Correct I had frame damage which leads me to think that your car also has some but since you don't have any pics of what's behind the bumpers nobody can tell, my main damage was the rear because I was rear ended while I was standing and the guy was going 65 pushed me into a lifted Chevy in front of me.
Damn that was a hard hit. The 3 cars involved in mine were going half that cause of traffic. My body guy assured me the other day that there was no frame damage. Then again insurance companies have totaled with less I heard.
Old 06-10-15, 09:22 AM
RyanUppal
Driver School Candidate

Damn! Glad to hear you're okay!

I read the post and only saw the top picture of the rear end and thought to myself "Wow this isn't as bad as he's making it out to be."

...then I scrolled. Good luck with the car buddy.

Quick Reply: A Very Very Sad Day Indeed.