IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car alignment: Ok to take to any garage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-15, 10:08 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car alignment: Ok to take to any garage?

2008 Lexus IS250. Bone stock suspension

After driving some rough gravel road car is now slightly drifting to the right. Not too bad but want to get it aligned sooner than later.

Here are some quotes I got:

Lexus dealership: $150
Toyota dealership: $80
Local garage: $60
Brakes Plus chains: Probably around $60 (didn't call)

So any thoughts? I'm guessing at these places you'll be getting the least experienced person working on the car. At least at the local garage it will probably be the owner working on it

Is there anything special on alignments with these cars?
Old 06-04-15, 10:38 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,303 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Some of the chains offer a Premium Lifetime Alignment for more money. If you think you'll keep the car for X number of years, I think it's worth considering. You can can then include alignment checks as part of your future service schedule at no extra cost. Firestone offers it with free biannual alignments.
Old 06-04-15, 10:54 AM
o7iS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because your car is drifting that doesn't mean it's your alignment. Tire pressure/wear plays a huge role as well. If you have the money, go to the Lexus dealer. Your car has completely stock suspension so you don't have to worry about taking it to a specialty shop with a certain rack to perform the alignment. Alignments are alignments, if the numbers come out in the green at the end of the day and your car drives straight, it's good.. doesn't matter if it's a monkey doing it or someone who's been doing it for a decade.
Old 06-04-15, 11:24 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't want a monkey doing mine. Someone certified at least. Lol
Old 06-04-15, 11:46 AM
NikonGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by o7iS250
Just because your car is drifting that doesn't mean it's your alignment. Tire pressure/wear plays a huge role as well. If you have the money, go to the Lexus dealer. Your car has completely stock suspension so you don't have to worry about taking it to a specialty shop with a certain rack to perform the alignment. Alignments are alignments, if the numbers come out in the green at the end of the day and your car drives straight, it's good.. doesn't matter if it's a monkey doing it or someone who's been doing it for a decade.
Could be but it started right after I took the rough gravel road. Will check tire pressure tonight to make sure they are in spec
Old 06-04-15, 02:14 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my alignment done at sombody garage before and it seem find. He had all the right equipment and certified mechanic.
Old 06-04-15, 04:02 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Got my Alignment at a local garage shop in the Asian district. It's better and all straight after. No dealership needed no overprice needed. done deal.

Old 06-04-15, 05:50 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As 07 is250 stated, check tires. If you didn't hit anything hard I doubt it's your alignment. Or your alignment was already off. I don't get it, I've hit pot holes and my ***** is still rollin good. I've got coils and I'm pretty low sitting on 19's.
Now let's talk shop. You can do a half a$$ job NO MATTER WHO you decide to take it to, Dealer or not. Go to someone you know or a referral. Yup that area for shops. I'm personally close to a mechanic and he charged me, like $45, for my alignment. You're stock car is not the issue because it's a simple task for anyone with the equipment. I know people doing the old school way, string and all, that's just as accurate for the more difficult vehicles ie lifted trucks or lowriders.

Last edited by srt1; 06-04-15 at 05:51 PM. Reason: spell check lol
Old 06-04-15, 05:53 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

My dealership offers 4-wheel alignments for $90, and they have an in-ground Hunter rack they share with the Porsche dealership next door. Good enough for Porsche, good enough for me! LOL
Old 06-04-15, 08:24 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The hunter is nice BUT some people really may not know the full potential of the equipment. That being said not everyone knows how to properly use the tools they're working with. It's simple, tow, camber & caster. Assuming all of the other suspension parts are in fact good. My camber needs adjusting, I hate my tires wearing out on the inside.
Old 06-04-15, 10:30 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by srt1
The hunter is nice BUT some people really may not know the full potential of the equipment. That being said not everyone knows how to properly use the tools they're working with. It's simple, tow, camber & caster. Assuming all of the other suspension parts are in fact good. My camber needs adjusting, I hate my tires wearing out on the inside.
Cheapest way. For front you can fix it with ball join and alignment.
Old 06-05-15, 09:53 AM
o7iS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ants250
I don't want a monkey doing mine. Someone certified at least. Lol
Certifications don't mean anything to me, I'll take experience over paper knowledge any day.
Old 06-05-15, 10:03 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by o7iS250
Certifications don't mean anything to me, I'll take experience over paper knowledge any day.
True your right!
Old 06-06-15, 08:08 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is exactly one adjustment on our cars for alignment, Toe. Hook up the machine to the car, adjust the toe bolt till the machine reads the correct reading, done. Not rocket science. Anyone with the proper equipment can do it.
Old 06-06-15, 09:30 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,303 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportskid1
There is exactly one adjustment on our cars for alignment, Toe. Hook up the machine to the car, adjust the toe bolt till the machine reads the correct reading, done. Not rocket science. Anyone with the proper equipment can do it.
Good reminder that technology is very different from years ago! Would you say that with frameless cars, the chance of misalignment from body twisting is a good reason to sign up for the unlimited alignments that some chains offer? Then getting it checked annually for "free".

Quick Reply: Car alignment: Ok to take to any garage?