IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Homelink 2.0 - how to program for newer garage openers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-15, 11:11 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Homelink 2.0 - how to program for newer garage openers?

Bought a new Chamberlain garage opener. Looks like it uses Homelink 2.0 and from what I read online, it's not compatible with pre 2010 cars.

Anyone get a Homelink repeater for free? Or is there another workaround to getting our older Homelink to work with newer garage openers?
Old 05-25-15, 02:15 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you call the Homelink technical support number, they'll send you one for free (plus like $7 shipping) as long as your car is on the list. Lexus is. I've got two of them. My IS350 2006 qualified me for one, and my Father in laws 2013 ES350 got me the second one I needed. If your opener has a battery backup though, this will not allow that to function from your car any more. The repeater is powered by being plugged into the wall, so if the power goes out the repeater won't function. Toss the original opener into the glove box though for that once in every 10 years that you're coming home and have no power.

It took 3 days from the time I called to the time FedEx dropped off my repeater.

Also keep in mind the little remote that comes with the kit won't open your garage door, it only programs the car to communicate with the repeater. But with the one remote you can program as may cars as you need to. One repeater is needed for each separate opener though so if you have multiple openers, one per.
Old 05-25-15, 03:02 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

+1 FOLLOW WHAT HE SAY. I have 2 of them as well. will getting 3rd one for other house soon!!!
Old 05-26-15, 11:53 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RU514
Bought a new Chamberlain garage opener. Looks like it uses Homelink 2.0 and from what I read online, it's not compatible with pre 2010 cars.

Anyone get a Home-link repeater for free? Or is there another workaround to getting our older Homelink to work with newer garage openers?
RU514, you can try this method. I had IS250 09 and I just did mine last weekend. I had a Craftsman unit. It might not work with this method, but you can give it a try.

1. Clear your old Home-link if there was already in memory:
A) Home-link: Hold and press the first and the third button at the same time for 30sec if I remembered correctly. You will see the light start to flash from slow to fast and keep holding for 30sec and release. (If you have your old memory set at the 2nd Home-Link button, then repeat the steps above.

2. To program the Home-Link: (I prefer to close my garage door for doing this. Just me).
A) Find the red or program button on your garage door unit. Make sure you that the garage good remote is working, if you have one or already programmed it.
B) Hold the garage door remote about 6 inches away from your Home-Link button inside your car.
C) Press the home-link (1 or 2 depend on your choices) and the remote garage door bottons at the same time and hold for 10sec. you will see the solid light start to flash from slow to fast. Also, the garage door start to open. Don't worry.
D) Go to your garage door head unit and locate the red or programmable button, then press the button 1 time. The solid light will come one at the garage door unit. You should have 30sec to perform this task.
E) Go to inside your car then press and hold whichever home-link button (1 or 2 ) for 2sec you previously chose early. Then release.
F) Repeat step E again.
G) Repeat step E again to complete programming the home-link. Note: Your home-link button might work after step F. In my case, it took me two times to repeat step E.

Good luck and let us know.
Old 05-27-15, 04:21 AM
RU514
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ivnnln
RU514, you can try this method. I had IS250 09 and I just did mine last weekend. I had a Craftsman unit. It might not work with this method, but you can give it a try.

1. Clear your old Home-link if there was already in memory:
A) Home-link: Hold and press the first and the third button at the same time for 30sec if I remembered correctly. You will see the light start to flash from slow to fast and keep holding for 30sec and release. (If you have your old memory set at the 2nd Home-Link button, then repeat the steps above.

2. To program the Home-Link: (I prefer to close my garage door for doing this. Just me).
A) Find the red or program button on your garage door unit. Make sure you that the garage good remote is working, if you have one or already programmed it.
B) Hold the garage door remote about 6 inches away from your Home-Link button inside your car.
C) Press the home-link (1 or 2 depend on your choices) and the remote garage door bottons at the same time and hold for 10sec. you will see the solid light start to flash from slow to fast. Also, the garage door start to open. Don't worry.
D) Go to your garage door head unit and locate the red or programmable button, then press the button 1 time. The solid light will come one at the garage door unit. You should have 30sec to perform this task.
E) Go to inside your car then press and hold whichever home-link button (1 or 2 ) for 2sec you previously chose early. Then release.
F) Repeat step E again.
G) Repeat step E again to complete programming the home-link. Note: Your home-link button might work after step F. In my case, it took me two times to repeat step E.

Good luck and let us know.
Yeah thanks but that's for rolling codes. The new garage opener I have uses Homelink 2.0 so there's no way around it without getting a repeater. It's not ideal but at least it'll work.
Old 06-19-15, 02:16 PM
wellman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some qualify for FREE Homelink repeater - some don't

You simply call 1800 355-3515 and hit 6 to speak with a person. You may explain your situation and see if you qualify by virtue of your car year/model. If you do not then it is very inexpensive being $24.99 now on the Homelink website.