IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Love my IS but two concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-15, 01:31 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Love my IS but two concerns

Hi I purchased a 2012 is250 and I have two concerns about this car.
First- when accelerating at and above 4-5,000 rpms there is a vibration that is felt in the shifter, steering wheel and floor of the car. I have no idea what it could be but its really weird and annoying for a Lexus to have this going on.
Second- when when shifting from reverse to drive there is a clunking noise that happens. I asked a tech at the dealership about both issues but he said it was Normal. I honestly cannot accept that.
I'm also having a small paint bubble in both headlights directly under the projector lens and the dealer actually said there was a tsb and ordered new headlight assy's. Still waiting for them to come in.
The engine vibration or exhaust vibration that only occurs between 4-5,000 rpm is my major concern.

Can anyone tell me if they ever experience this?
I feel like it's worse when the car is warmed up.
Old 05-24-15, 03:16 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife have 2007 Is250 with and no issue.
Old 05-24-15, 05:58 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

yeah i think its something but I'm gonna have to figure it out. thanks for replying
Old 05-24-15, 06:19 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

You can try to bring to different dealer.
Old 05-24-15, 08:26 PM
WillK
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it's RPM as opposed to speed. I'm still learning about the IS family but with what your describing sounds like transmission issue. I wonder if you put it in neutral and tried to rev it and see if the vibration is there.

You didn't say if it's AWD or RWD and how many miles? Did you recently buy it, certified or warranty? If you can't find answers, I would try another dealer or ask to speak to manager or see if here's another is250 on their lot. If so, ask to drive it to see if you can duplicate he shudder/vibration. If no vibration in that one, then time to talk with manager.

As for the clunk, are you parking on level ground?
Old 05-24-15, 08:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awd IS250?
Old 05-25-15, 07:12 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

Yes sorry it's an awd is250 with 25k miles. The vibration is felt along with the engine revving. So in park you can feel it but not as bad. I'm assuming because it's not under load when in park.
I also notice sometimes when at a stop light the steering wheel has a vibration from the engine but I don't think it's carbon related yet. I mean it's low miles. Unless it is.
I still have warranty from factory until next May and if I keep the car I will be extending the bumper to bumper another two years befor my original warranty runs out.
As for the shifter it kind of sounds hollow when shifting from reverse to drive. It's not a solid thud like you would expect any automatic to make. It's not a big deal but I was curious if anyone else noticed it on theirs.

I really like this car although I do feel that it is underpowered. I was told the is350 is better because it's much faster and doesn't have the engine issues the 250 has and only sacrificing 1 mpg.
I might just get a 350 if things don't sort out because I don't like the idea of a car that I have to pull the engine,breakdown to remove carbon buildup. That's not why I bought this car. I bought it because I was under the assumption it was rock solid and would last as long as any first gen IS would.
Which I see tons of them still in the road in good running condition.
Old 05-25-15, 09:33 PM
240harrier
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Probably engine and transmission mountings are going bad

Have you check the engine mountings as well as transmission mountings? probably they went bad and need to be replaced...
Old 05-25-15, 09:39 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

That is the reason I got IS350 instead.

Originally Posted by Dunhill421
Yes sorry it's an awd is250 with 25k miles. The vibration is felt along with the engine revving. So in park you can feel it but not as bad. I'm assuming because it's not under load when in park.
I also notice sometimes when at a stop light the steering wheel has a vibration from the engine but I don't think it's carbon related yet. I mean it's low miles. Unless it is.
I still have warranty from factory until next May and if I keep the car I will be extending the bumper to bumper another two years befor my original warranty runs out.
As for the shifter it kind of sounds hollow when shifting from reverse to drive. It's not a solid thud like you would expect any automatic to make. It's not a big deal but I was curious if anyone else noticed it on theirs.

I really like this car although I do feel that it is underpowered. I was told the is350 is better because it's much faster and doesn't have the engine issues the 250 has and only sacrificing 1 mpg.
I might just get a 350 if things don't sort out because I don't like the idea of a car that I have to pull the engine,breakdown to remove carbon buildup. That's not why I bought this car. I bought it because I was under the assumption it was rock solid and would last as long as any first gen IS would.
Which I see tons of them still in the road in good running condition.
Old 06-06-15, 09:20 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's shaking at stoplights it's most likely engine or transmission mounts that have gone bad. They are made of rubber. When the rubber wears out or cracks and disinagrates it becomes turns to metal on metal and what you are feeling is the engine vibrations that are not isolated.
Old 06-07-15, 12:59 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its been said in many threads:
AWD vibration or mid-range "wobble" is hit and miss --- whether you are lowered or at stock height --- some people at stock height experience vibrations and some people who are slammed to the ground have no problems at all. No car is alike, and I'll be brief: it has to do with stress and angling of suspension components (e.x. cv's, axles. etc.)... it is a quirk with many 2is AWD's. 99% chance it is not your engine, and it is most definitely not your exhaust

At stock height I had vibrations, though minimal.... after lowering I have noticeable vibrations especially on inclines. (This should add to the evidence that modifying the suspension amplifies the problem)... pointing to the original source -> suspension. It exists and I'm VERY particular about things, but I've grown to understand it and live with it both while stationary, and mobile.

Last edited by Nixcision; 06-07-15 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-07-15, 04:16 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

From my own experience with trannys, no pun intended, the reverse will go out first witch may be a sign. DO NOT ACCEPT THAT DEALERSHIPS SORRY A$$ answer! That's horrible they would treat it as such. Talk to the mechanics supervisor and address your concern. Like others have mentioned;
If it's possible, and nearby, go to a different dealership. Call them and explain your concerns, they will listen to you.
Engine & tranny mounts are pretty easy to spot, from my own experience. **inspect the BOLTS of the engine mounts(as well as tranny) because people over look that**
Every time an engine starts it puts stress on the mounts as well as other movements.
You may ONLY have mount problems so first check there. Once you have narrowed it down, if your mounts were replaced and still are having issues check other suspension parts. Then have your tranny looked at. Have a mechanic drive the vehicle and it may help out solving the problem.
I know it's frustrating but where ever you bought this vehicle from should honor something to you. I'm just sayin....
Keep us posted and others will chime in to help out as much as possible, that's one reason why they have these forums.
BTW if you decide that you must replace the mounts it is best, but not mandatory, to replace all of them.
Old 06-07-15, 05:31 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by srt1
From my own experience with trannys, no pun intended, the reverse will go out first witch may be a sign. DO NOT ACCEPT THAT DEALERSHIPS SORRY A$$ answer! That's horrible they would treat it as such. Talk to the mechanics supervisor and address your concern. Like others have mentioned;
If it's possible, and nearby, go to a different dealership. Call them and explain your concerns, they will listen to you.
Engine & tranny mounts are pretty easy to spot, from my own experience. **inspect the BOLTS of the engine mounts(as well as tranny) because people over look that**
Every time an engine starts it puts stress on the mounts as well as other movements.
You may ONLY have mount problems so first check there. Once you have narrowed it down, if your mounts were replaced and still are having issues check other suspension parts. Then have your tranny looked at. Have a mechanic drive the vehicle and it may help out solving the problem.
I know it's frustrating but where ever you bought this vehicle from should honor something to you. I'm just sayin....
Keep us posted and others will chime in to help out as much as possible, that's one reason why they have these forums.
BTW if you decide that you must replace the mounts it is best, but not mandatory, to replace all of them.

Very true about replacing all the mounts. They are like half shaf boots. When one goes out the others will soon follow. If you do your own work on the car one hour of labor will pay for the shop manual. The nice thing is these cars take normal tools to repair with the exception of some electronic systems that require techstream.

Also my vote is for any Toyota dealer over the Lexus special prices. If a loaner is worth the additional price increase more power to you. If you want a reduced labor rate go to the Toyota dealership.
Old 07-03-15, 08:05 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

Thanks everyone for your insight. I have departed from my IS250AWD and just picked up a New NX F Sport. Couldn't be happier.
Hope all is well =)
Old 07-04-15, 06:47 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dunhill421
Thanks everyone for your insight. I have departed from my IS250AWD and just picked up a New NX F Sport. Couldn't be happier.
Hope all is well =)
Enjoy the new car.

Quick Reply: Love my IS but two concerns