IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Deep review on ebay Headlight - New Version

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-15, 03:53 PM
jdubbsISF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokyis350
That was what I thought also. I will have to pass on these since that AFS off pop up on the dash would be extremely annoying.
I just pulled my AFS fuse under the dash. Took all of 5 seconds. I'm not sure why everyone doesn't just do this. You lose the auto leveling, that's the only "downside". But if you get these headlights you don't get auto leveling or AFS anyways so you don't lose anything other than getting rid of the light in your dash. Look up which fuse it is in your owners manual, couldn't be easier.

I just want to say thanks for testing these headlights and the very in depth information. Don't worry about your English, it's great. Please keep updating the thread with new information! Especially long term. I'm very interested in your information on installing an HD kit and wiring the LEDs to the daytime running lights!

One thing I noticed from the design is changing bulbs once the headlights are installed would be a huge pain in the ***. Those 6 little screws would be hard to reach to remove the cover.

Last edited by jdubbsISF; 05-24-15 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-24-15, 05:00 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdubbs350
I just pulled my AFS fuse under the dash. Took all of 5 seconds. I'm not sure why everyone doesn't just do this. You lose the auto leveling, that's the only "downside". But if you get these headlights you don't get auto leveling or AFS anyways so you don't lose anything other than getting rid of the light in your dash. Look up which fuse it is in your owners manual, couldn't be easier.

I just want to say thanks for testing these headlights and the very in depth information. Don't worry about your English, it's great. Please keep updating the thread with new information! Especially long term. I'm very interested in your information on installing an HD kit and wiring the LEDs to the daytime running lights!

One thing I noticed from the design is changing bulbs once the headlights are installed would be a huge pain in the ***. Those 6 little screws would be hard to reach to remove the cover.
I didn't know it was that easy. I've seen people remove their speedometer and use a electrical tape to cover it up.
Old 05-24-15, 06:50 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay I'm about 90% sure I'm gonna buy these soon. But one things holding me back.. Are these headlights plug and play with a 2006 Is350 sport with factory HID??

I know I need an HID conversion kit but does the wiring and everything match up correctly? I ask because currently there is a thread about someone needing help with his headlight upgrade in which the plugs or wires don't match up (I think).
Old 05-24-15, 10:32 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

To confirm, it's totally plug and play kit. Like I stated earlier, the only problem you have is AFS warning light but take out the fuse is your solution.

Just wait for little longer like about a week so I could update some info about re-wire LED to work with DRL, more detail about cut off light and HID retrofit with picture when I got my car back.
Old 05-25-15, 10:58 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interested to see how the HID kit will be used. I have one now where the ballast is mounted outside of the headlight itself as its a retrofit for the standard halogens... does this mean that I can use it (assuming the bulb size is the same)? I remember you saying that simply reusing the oem HID is not possible because the ballast is built into the headlight, whereas these aftermarket HID kits are not
Old 05-25-15, 03:07 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

The ballast is mounted outside the headlight. OEM HID is not re-usable. you need an aftermarket kit like morimoto or volt or whatever you like.
Old 05-25-15, 03:22 PM
jblanco222
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nixcision
Interested to see how the HID kit will be used. I have one now where the ballast is mounted outside of the headlight itself as its a retrofit for the standard halogens... does this mean that I can use it (assuming the bulb size is the same)? I remember you saying that simply reusing the oem HID is not possible because the ballast is built into the headlight, whereas these aftermarket HID kits are not
if my understanding is correct, you will be able to use the same kit since yours is not oem, but I am certain that the bulbs are different so you will need to purchase h7 bulbs. (these headlights use H7)
Old 05-25-15, 05:42 PM
toyoman29
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Great review, thanks for the info....
Old 05-25-15, 06:56 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^makes sense!
He was saying before that the gromet is glued, and then theres six screws you need to remove to access the bulbs, so I'm also wondering how you'd even go about wiring in the hid kit!
Old 05-25-15, 09:35 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I am running 3 volt kits from a vendor here and would highly recommend the vendor. ClubLexus discount plus free shipping. One in the Lexus and two in my spouses car low and fog. Plan on getting Ultinons for the Lexus low beam from the same vendor.
Old 05-25-15, 10:03 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
I am running 3 volt kits from a vendor here and would highly recommend the vendor. ClubLexus discount plus free shipping. One in the Lexus and two in my spouses car low and fog. Plan on getting Ultinons for the Lexus low beam from the same vendor.
Mike, you planning to pick these up?
Old 05-25-15, 10:48 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Well, I have to cut off wires, pass it through the the gromet and re connect them so I have nice, clean, and total sealed. I know it's not recommended but I rather do it than drilling extra hole on headlight
Old 05-26-15, 08:09 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Mike, you planning to pick these up?
No bro just chiming in on the volt kit from XenonDepot. I am watching this thread though... great review and updates. Sticking with my stock hid for now.
Old 05-26-15, 09:14 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

How did you get the lights to go red? Can you do different colors? What would need to be replaced if I want to have HID's as low beams?

Looks good. If I can change the lows to HID's and get colors id be fully sold on these lights.

If you can provide a link to the seller that would be amazing.
Old 05-26-15, 09:33 AM
Litcroco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have anyone thought about retrofitting this with TL or TSX's projector since they are brighter and using our ballast?

Quick Reply: Deep review on ebay Headlight - New Version