IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Looking to Get Back Into a IS350, but have a few questions....

Old 05-19-15, 08:02 PM
integlspwr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Looking to Get Back Into a IS350, but have a few questions....

Hi everyone,

I had a SGM 2006 IS350 a few years ago and sold it, and now looking to get back into one.

The issue is my budget would only allow a 06-07 with higher miles (120k-150k),

What are issues should I be looking for when checking out IS350 with higher miles? (I've been reading that the transmission is a big problem)

What questions should i be asking the seller when inquiring about a car for sale?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by integlspwr; 05-19-15 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-19-15, 09:08 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Never heard about transmission problem.

But water pump is major problem.
Old 05-19-15, 09:32 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have to test drive the car, and bring it to mechanic for inspection. Seller will not tell you everything.
Old 05-19-15, 09:35 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

2007 is better can turn off traction control with button.
Old 05-19-15, 10:20 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Timing chain cover leak!
Old 05-22-15, 12:32 AM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Register the VIN on the Lexus website before purchasing to verify regular service history and to make sure recalls get done after your purchase if they haven't been done yet (VVT cam gear, valve springs, fuel delivery pipe, fuel pressure sensor gasket, wiper arm nut, trunk release lever, accelerator pedal, rear view mirror, sticky/marred dash and door panels).

Pay to have it professionally inspected by a third party before purchasing. Things that may need replaced at some point around that mileage include alternator, water pump (can check for leaks/pink crust around it with a dental mirror and they typically make a loud noise before failing completely, check Youtube for an example), spark plugs/other 120k services, nav screen freezing and needing repaired/replaced, shocks if not replaced yet, degraded windshield mouldings, squeaks/rattles in the dash or elsewhere. And there are some less common issues in the FAQ, such as airbag light, O2 sensors, radio turning itself off when going over bumps, wheel bearing, ignition coil, timing chain cover oil leak ($$$). I would definitely recommend finding a dealership with the adapter to change out the transmission fluid; mine was due to be replaced when I did it at 115k miles according to the Blackstone Labs analysis done afterwards, but YMMV based on the driving style of previous owner(s). Also changing out the diff fluid would be cheap insurance but maybe not necessary.
Old 05-22-15, 10:41 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your budget is already limited, how will you afford to fix the car when something goes wrong? Chances are that you will end up sinking some cash into the car sooner rather than later if you go the route you're taking.

My advice - If you have the means to do so, wait and save some additional cash so that you can purchase a newer, lower mileage 350.
Old 05-22-15, 11:06 AM
integlspwr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
If your budget is already limited, how will you afford to fix the car when something goes wrong? Chances are that you will end up sinking some cash into the car sooner rather than later if you go the route you're taking.

My advice - If you have the means to do so, wait and save some additional cash so that you can purchase a newer, lower mileage 350.
Budget is limited only because i plan on paying all cash for the car. Did not want to take out a loan for it. If i did take out a loan it would just get a IS-F.

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Never heard about transmission problem.

But water pump is major problem.
Sounds good, any way to check this issue when looking at a car to buy?

Originally Posted by MWIS350
Have to test drive the car, and bring it to mechanic for inspection. Seller will not tell you everything.
Wish I could, and this is hard because i would have to go out of state to get a nice one. Western New York cars suck because they salt the roads here during the winter.

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Timing chain cover leak!
Thank you for the response, any way to check this when looking at the car? does it need to go on a lift etc? where is it exactly i'm looking for in the engine bay.

Originally Posted by andper10
Register the VIN on the Lexus website before purchasing to verify regular service history and to make sure recalls get done after your purchase if they haven't been done yet (VVT cam gear, valve springs, fuel delivery pipe, fuel pressure sensor gasket, wiper arm nut, trunk release lever, accelerator pedal, rear view mirror, sticky/marred dash and door panels).

Pay to have it professionally inspected by a third party before purchasing. Things that may need replaced at some point around that mileage include alternator, water pump (can check for leaks/pink crust around it with a dental mirror and they typically make a loud noise before failing completely, check Youtube for an example), spark plugs/other 120k services, nav screen freezing and needing repaired/replaced, shocks if not replaced yet, degraded windshield mouldings, squeaks/rattles in the dash or elsewhere. And there are some less common issues in the FAQ, such as airbag light, O2 sensors, radio turning itself off when going over bumps, wheel bearing, ignition coil, timing chain cover oil leak ($$$). I would definitely recommend finding a dealership with the adapter to change out the transmission fluid; mine was due to be replaced when I did it at 115k miles according to the Blackstone Labs analysis done afterwards, but YMMV based on the driving style of previous owner(s). Also changing out the diff fluid would be cheap insurance but maybe not necessary.
Thanks for the wealth of information! i greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-23-15, 11:32 AM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

andper10 covered everything.

The fuel pressure sensor gasket and dash/door panels are current recalls.

Watch out for the dashboard and door panels if they're soft to the touch and would likely get damage with your fingernails. There's a recall that is currently in its first phase.