IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

smog check question on IS350

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 01:40 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default smog check question on IS350

my IS350 has F Sport intake and F Sport catback exhaust, will that encounter any issue when take it in for smog check?
Old 04-24-15, 03:08 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

In California - You Will - It won't pass visual. Unless you know somebody! Neither of your Mods has is CARB compliant.

Lou
Old 04-24-15, 03:15 PM
ianbis
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 04-24-15, 03:20 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...on-thread.html

older thread, but this might help.
Old 04-24-15, 03:48 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
thanks, base on responses from that thread i shouldn't run into any issues.
Old 04-24-15, 05:02 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
In California - You Will - It won't pass visual. Unless you know somebody! Neither of your Mods has is CARB compliant.

Lou
Wrong! The Fsport Intake is CARB certified so it wont be a problem. You either get the CARB sticker from the dealer or online ($5) or you could get away with just give them the CARB number.
The exhaust isn't part of the Smog check so you should be OK.
Old 04-24-15, 06:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^Wasn't aware the F-Sport intake had a CARB sticker. However, I believe the exhaust is part of the visual inspection process.

Lou
Old 04-24-15, 10:19 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Wasn't aware the F-Sport intake had a CARB sticker. However, I believe the exhaust is part of the visual inspection process.

Lou
Portions of the exhaust are. From the engine to the catalytic converters. What's on after that doesn't affect the testing. I've had a Cat-Back exhaust system on my 2007 Explorer Sport Trac since I moved to SoCal from Virginia 5 years ago and have been through the initial inspection and 3 randoms since. Never had a issue and have been to different testing stations each time.
Old 04-25-15, 03:04 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by A1cntrler
Portions of the exhaust are. From the engine to the catalytic converters. What's on after that doesn't affect the testing. I've had a Cat-Back exhaust system on my 2007 Explorer Sport Trac since I moved to SoCal from Virginia 5 years ago and have been through the initial inspection and 3 randoms since. Never had a issue and have been to different testing stations each time.
You are correct! They are mostly looking cat delete and other changes to the OEM emission system. The car should pass visual inspection with most catback setup (they will for sure reject car with muffler delete or those cheapo "fart can" exhaust.
To the OP, here are the sticker for the Fsport intake with CARB just in case you need it.

Old 04-26-15, 11:25 AM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pheonix72
You are correct! They are mostly looking cat delete and other changes to the OEM emission system. The car should pass visual inspection with most catback setup (they will for sure reject car with muffler delete or those cheapo "fart can" exhaust.
To the OP, here are the sticker for the Fsport intake with CARB just in case you need it.

My sticker is actually on the underside of the hood on the same side as the airbox. In the installation instructions for the FSport Intake it showed the location for it as there and not on the pipe itself. Did you put the sticker there or did yours come like that?
Old 04-26-15, 11:49 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by A1cntrler
My sticker is actually on the underside of the hood on the same side as the airbox. In the installation instructions for the FSport Intake it showed the location for it as there and not on the pipe itself. Did you put the sticker there or did yours come like that?
I did not pay attention to the instructions while doing the installation and thought it was the logical place to apply the sticker. I dont think it should matter as long as you have the sticker somewhere in the engine bay. One time, the smog shop fail my BMW Z4M for having Afe intake and the guy ask me if i could provide him the CARB number so it depends on the shop sometimes.
Old 04-26-15, 03:06 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pheonix72
I did not pay attention to the instructions while doing the installation and thought it was the logical place to apply the sticker. I dont think it should matter as long as you have the sticker somewhere in the engine bay. One time, the smog shop fail my BMW Z4M for having Afe intake and the guy ask me if i could provide him the CARB number so it depends on the shop sometimes.
The op will be fine. It doesn't matter exactly where the sticker is. If the intake isn't CARB compliant, then you won't pass. Simple as that. Not all companies pay for it to be CARB because it costs $$$
Old 08-14-15, 01:29 PM
huyz13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

potentially moving to Cali and don't have the CARB sticker. would i be alright if I just showed them the picture of the CARB sticker? If not, where can I get one these days, esp now that Sewell has closed? thanks in advance
Old 08-14-15, 08:49 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by huyz13
potentially moving to Cali and don't have the CARB sticker. would i be alright if I just showed them the picture of the CARB sticker? If not, where can I get one these days, esp now that Sewell has closed? thanks in advance
Why do you need the sticker? You'll have to get the car smogged anyways. You'll either pass or fail. Sticker won't make any difference.
Old 08-14-15, 09:22 PM
DryEye
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You will be fine unless you run into a douch, but I passed smog with an F-sport intake and F-sport exhaust on my car.

Having the sticker or not, it depends on where you go to get your smog check. The place that I went to asked me where I placed the sticker, which was under my hood.

If you don't have the sticker, you can print this out

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...eo/D-628-7.pdf

Last edited by DryEye; 08-14-15 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: smog check question on IS350