IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

07 IS350 Dirty Oil change w/ Full Synthetic

Old 04-01-15, 11:22 PM
ashby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 IS350 Dirty Oil change w/ Full Synthetic

Like the title states, I just changed the oil in the IS350 and it was very dirty. The last oil change I switched to Pennzoil natural gas full synthetic and ran it for 10k miles-changing the filter at 5k.

When I changed the oil I first noticed sludge on the drain plug, then inside the filter housing. The filter has some sludge particles in it as well. The filter had a thin metal sliver in it about as thick as a hair. It stuck to a magnet so it was steel. The oil in the drain pan had a little shimmer to it as well, nothing big just could see a little pearl look to it. When I changed the filter at 5k miles I did not notice any of these problems.

Do you guys think this just may be the detergent in the oil working to clean out the sludge?
The oil wasn't black like most oil, it had a brownish color to it still.

Old 04-02-15, 01:29 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Use Mobil 1 Oil next time

Sometimes i put a drop of seafoam in with my fresh oil to help clean out all the junk.. pour the rest into your gas tank
Old 04-02-15, 03:39 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard that when u switch to syn the oil can remove grime regular oil doesn't. Some people say if have high mileage and switch to syn u should change oil sooner the first time because of how quickly it gets dirty.
Old 04-02-15, 06:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

looking dirty has little to do with the remaining oil life. What matters is how much TBN is left. You can only find that out from an oil analysis
Old 04-02-15, 10:45 AM
ashby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SeanO

Sometimes i put a drop of seafoam in with my fresh oil to help clean out all the junk.. pour the rest into your gas tank
I don't think the oil matters. I'm going to stick with what I got.

The color has nothing to do with the oil, Ive just never had particles in it like I did. Wasn't like this at the 5k mile interval when I changed the filter. I just figured I'd see if anyone else had ran into this problem.
Old 04-02-15, 10:51 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
looking dirty has little to do with the remaining oil life. What matters is how much TBN is left. You can only find that out from an oil analysis
This. Get a blackstone oil analysis.
Old 04-02-15, 01:14 PM
Gville350

Received 426 Likes on 382 Posts

How many miles on your 2IS?
Old 04-02-15, 01:18 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanO
And that advice is BS. Pennzoil Platinum or Platinum Plus is just fine. However, even though you can, I would never run my oil for 10K miles. As has been stated above most Synthetics contain additives that will get rid of sludge other oils leave behind. I change with no less than 3K or no more than 5K miles. And, my ISF takes 10 qt. of oil. I know I'm overdoing it, but I change it myself, and IMHO, you can never over change oil.

An oil change is really not that expensive or hard to do.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 04-02-15 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 04:27 PM
hirsch2is
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I work at a Toyota dealership and see this all the time. If the car calls for 5k intervals then it should be done at 5k intervals period. Whenever we sell a platinum oil change on a 5w30 car we always warm the customer to come back at 5k because that's what the manufacturer recommends. Color is not a big deal unless it's coming out deisel oil black. It's when you get metal shaving coming out of your drain plug or in your filter that you need to worry. I can't tell if that's metal or just sludge chunks in your pics but we have seen a lot of scions with metal particles being in the oil lately. Ends up needing an engine replacement or rebuild. The ones I'm aware of went about 15-17k on a 10k 0w20 oil change
Old 04-02-15, 05:33 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flowrider
And that advice is BS. Pennzoil Platinum or Platinum Plus is just fine. However, even though you can, I would never run my oil for 10K miles. As has been stated above most Synthetics contain additives that will get rid of sludge other oils leave behind. I change with no less than 3K or no more than 5K miles. And, my ISF takes 10 qt. of oil. I know I'm overdoing it, but I change it myself, and IMHO, you can never over change oil.

Lou
Did you ever try a Blackstone Lab test? They can determine the best oil interval for your car. It is really a small price to pay. It will end up saving you money in the long run.

I change my oil every 5k if I track it with Mobil 1. Typically 7,500 or 10k miles interval depending on my driving. My car has over 80k miles and 0 problems so far.
Old 04-02-15, 06:43 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^I never said Mobil 1 is bad, it isn't. I was just taking umbrage with the statement that Pennzoil Platinum may be the cause of the problem. And I also said "I know I'm overdoing it." But, I've been changing my own oil since before you were born Since 1957

I'm old and set in my ways, but IMHO, oil is the lifeblood of any gasoline engine, and you can never change it too much.
Old 04-02-15, 07:20 PM
ashby
Driver School Candidate

Lou
The 2007 IS350 factory interval is 5k miles. The 2015 IS350 factory interval is 10k miles. Same engine, oil has just been changed to full synthetic. Same with my wife's RX350.

Originally Posted by hirsch2is
I work at a Toyota dealership and see this all the time. If the car calls for 5k intervals then it should be done at 5k intervals period. Whenever we sell a platinum oil change on a 5w30 car we always warm the customer to come back at 5k because that's what the manufacturer recommends. Color is not a big deal unless it's coming out deisel oil black. It's when you get metal shaving coming out of your drain plug or in your filter that you need to worry. I can't tell if that's metal or just sludge chunks in your pics but we have seen a lot of scions with metal particles being in the oil lately. Ends up needing an engine replacement or rebuild. The ones I'm aware of went about 15-17k on a 10k 0w20 oil change
The dirty particles aren't really chunks, they weren't hard or anything, just specks you could see and slightly feel.
Old 04-02-15, 08:11 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

^^^^I never said Mobil 1 is bad, it isn't. I was just taking umbrage with the statement that Pennzoil Platinum may be the cause of the problem. And I also said "I know I'm overdoing it." But, I've been changing my own oil since before you were born Since 1957

I'm old and set in my ways, but IMHO, oil is the lifeblood of any gasoline engine, and you can never change it too much.
Penzoil is actually very good oil. I used them in my previous car.

Nothing wrong with overdoing it but if the Blackstone lab result recommends 10k on your analysis, then you would save a lot of money + time. Their kits are relatively cheap to do.
Old 04-02-15, 08:18 PM
hirsch2is
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ashby
The 2007 IS350 factory interval is 5k miles. The 2015 IS350 factory interval is 10k miles. Same engine, oil has just been changed to full synthetic. Same with my wife's RX350.

The dirty particles aren't really chunks, they weren't hard or anything, just specks you could see and slightly feel.
in the case of your first argument you gotta realize the synthetic they use inner lexus is a different viscosity at both cold and op temps. if you want to run synthetic for 10k run 0w20 like every other newer lexus...

the reason we recommend 5k intervals to synthetic users of 5w30 is because as a dealer we have to. we can't put 0w20 in a car that takes 5w30 either. as small as it may be there is still a difference in the viscosity of these oils. and with the engines in these cars having such tight tolerances it is always best to do what the manufacturer recommends

Last edited by hirsch2is; 04-02-15 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 08:47 PM
ashby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hirsch2is
in the case of your first argument you gotta realize the synthetic they use inner lexus is a different viscosity at both cold and op temps. if you want to run synthetic for 10k run 0w20 like every other newer lexus...

the reason we recommend 5k intervals to synthetic users of 5w30 is because as a dealer we have to. we can't put 0w20 in a car that takes 5w30 either. as small as it may be there is still a difference in the viscosity of these oils. and with the engines in these cars having such tight tolerances it is always best to do what the manufacturer recommends
When the IS was new in 07 they didn't recommend synthetic oil, thus why they had a 5k mile interval.

I refered to this when I decided to do a 10k mile interval.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...oa-thread.html