IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Love this car but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-15, 07:08 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Love this car but...

I'm kinda on the fence about going further on a build. I'm literally just getting started and no where near what I have planned. I've kind of touched on the direction im headed but the more I think about it... the more I'm torn. I got 9k on the side for this build since I paid it off in August. Part of the problem with me is the more I save on the side the cheaper and tighter I get.

My heart has always been set on an 04-06 LS430 and I bought this is350 just cause I got tired of waiting. It's absolutely a fun reliable car for my commute... but the more I plan out a build the more I realize I'm on the wrong platform for what I want to do.

So I've been thinking g about giving the mrs. My is350 and sell the Sonata I bought her. It's a 2011 with only 20k on it so I'm pretty confident getting it of our hands. Then i can get what I really want. We were considering getting her into a GX and even an RX but she wants the IS.

The torn part is... do I switch and buy the LS or just hold tight and hope the mod bug will fill a void?

So far I haven't done much in my build since coming to this situation just stacking.
Old 03-15-15, 08:34 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Get the GX, it's an amazing car I smile every time I drive it.
Old 03-15-15, 09:17 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a 3rd gen ISx
I just recently checked out my co-worker Crafted Line F sport is250 and man the extra new room space and everything is so much better lol.
Old 03-15-15, 10:56 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol well the previous posters must not have read carefully

It seems like a win-win on paper. She gets the IS she wants, and you get the LS you've been waiting for. Main question is- going from a mini van to a IS... Will that serve your wife's needs? As you know space is quite limited in this car.

If that's what you truly want, and you have your sights on an LS you like, I'd say for for it.
Old 03-15-15, 11:49 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan

It seems like a win-win on paper. She gets the IS she wants, and you get the LS you've been waiting for. Main question is- going from a mini van to a IS... Will that serve your wife's needs? As you know space is quite limited in this car.

If that's what you truly want, and you have your sights on an LS you like, I'd say for for it.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the sonata is a sedan. It's a lot bigger than the 2IS but no where near minivan size haha.

OP, i think giantsfan nailed it. Switch cars with your wife and get an LS. It'll be truly what you want. And don't worry about not having money to mod the LS at first...you're still going to be making money in the future
Old 03-16-15, 05:20 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the LS cause after you're done with the IS, you'll still want an LS or when you see an LS you'll still wish you had it.
Old 03-16-15, 06:31 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
Correct me if I am wrong, but the sonata is a sedan. It's a lot bigger than the 2IS but no where near minivan size haha.

OP, i think giantsfan nailed it. Switch cars with your wife and get an LS. It'll be truly what you want. And don't worry about not having money to mod the LS at first...you're still going to be making money in the future
Oops I read sienna at first

So I guess space won't be too much of an issue!
Old 03-16-15, 01:34 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

What I've learned is get what you want, otherwise you'll never be happy. Of course a person's income limits the extent of what you can get; but you know what I mean.
Old 03-16-15, 03:22 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lysis250
Get the GX, it's an amazing car I smile every time I drive it.
We test drove a 2008 and it was perfect. Showed up 3 days later and it was sold the night prior. Unfortunately that particular one set the bar for the GX and the last 3 that we saw after that did not compare. Still an option though.

Originally Posted by Keo
Get a 3rd gen ISx
I just recently checked out my co-worker Crafted Line F sport is250 and man the extra new room space and everything is so much better lol.
They are nice but I'm looking to settle between $16-18K all cash.

Originally Posted by GiantsFan

It seems like a win-win on paper. She gets the IS she wants, and you get the LS you've been waiting for. As you know space is quite limited in this car.

The sonata does have more cabin and trunk space but it's not a big enough factor to keep it over the IS ever lol. I am leaning more and more towards putting this IS closer to stock for her and just getting the LS430.

Originally Posted by edgeucated

Yes... i agree still gotta work still gotta make money still gotta mod (at some point)

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Get the LS cause after you're done with the IS, you'll still want an LS or when you see an LS you'll still wish you had it.
Honestly, this has been my situation since selling my GS a couple years ago lol. Even a bone stock 04-06 LS430 makes me look. I told this lady in her 70s how great of a car she had at the grocery store and she was like "oh this old thing" lol

Originally Posted by Gville350
What I've learned is get what you want, otherwise you'll never be happy. Of course a person's income limits the extent of what you can get; but you know what I mean.
part of my problem is at any given moment... i want everything... since I started driving in 1996 i've had 14 different cars/trucks/suvs. But none have lingered in my mind as long as the LS430.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I know what needs to be done.... Thanks fellas i'm going to see about letting that sonata go and find my LS430. But the GX for the mrs. and the LS for me would be ideal ^_^

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 03-16-15 at 03:32 PM.