IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New to the IS and lexus!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 07:56 AM
nwscoobie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the IS and lexus!

So I decided to leave the over inflated prices Subaru scene and pickup a IS250 or 350 for a reasonable price. I can say I love to drive this car more then my truck! My Friend had one years ago in 07 and I really like the car but at the time they were pretty spendy. So I decided to look around again and found a nice one. 06 (non HID) with most of the option including nave and black on black with infinit 19" wheels and only 67k I consider that I got the car for a really good price and it being a clean title and all. Not the fastest car I have owned but its just a nice quiet car to drive.
Already ordered 2012 Headlights and a mesh grille, next is on to the wheels. Possibly some varrstoen es2's nothing crazy. I also have a techstream so I am curious what I will find when I plug it in lol
Attached Thumbnails New to the IS and lexus!-img_0729.jpg   New to the IS and lexus!-img_0730.jpg   New to the IS and lexus!-img_0731.jpg  
Old 03-13-15, 08:03 AM
Damaca
Driver School Candidate

What is going on with all the people switching from Subaru to Lexus? I did too back in '13. I went from a 2007 WRX to an '09 IS250. A few of my fellow Subaru folks out this way did the same move. Though my WRX was a lot cheaper to do stuff to than this car. Can't beat all the luxury though coming from a TR. Nice looking purchase though. I like those wheels!
Old 03-13-15, 08:28 AM
nwscoobie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Damaca
What is going on with all the people switching from Subaru to Lexus? I did too back in '13. I went from a 2007 WRX to an '09 IS250. A few of my fellow Subaru folks out this way did the same move. Though my WRX was a lot cheaper to do stuff to than this car. Can't beat all the luxury though coming from a TR. Nice looking purchase though. I like those wheels!
Thanks, I really like the wheels but everything blacked out I would like a lot or perhaps get the wheels done in black., I do like the contrast is has right now though so it is still up in the air.

The Subaru market and a few other has taken a turn downhill. It seems everyone is asking astronomical prices for cars that have a branded title, I offered dealerships kbb value in good condition for cars with cash in my hand and they said no because some person will pay that stupid price for them. I could rant about it forever but at least now I do not have to worry about people coming up next to me and revving their engines
Old 03-13-15, 08:35 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the IS family.

The 2012 headlights will make a huge difference. It's like night and day.

Is the car already sitting on springs or coil overs?

Good luck on the mods.
Old 03-13-15, 08:52 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks really good. I like the GFX kit.
Old 03-13-15, 09:25 AM
nwscoobie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Initial G
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the IS family.

The 2012 headlights will make a huge difference. It's like night and day.

Is the car already sitting on springs or coil overs?

Good luck on the mods.
I believe it is on springs, my left rear strut is blown so I need to find a replacement to accommodate the lowering springs tokico blues work? I figured the lights were a good investment! does anyone know if the lens is clear or Fresnel?

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Looks really good. I like the GFX kit.
Thanks!

Also what wheel specs will work with my setup? I have been looking but I am not 100% sure.

I was not thinking some Advan RS-D
F 19x9+35
R 19x10+35

My car is lowered on springs no fenders are rolled and my tires sizes are Rear 265/30/19 and Front 345/30/19

I would like to keep them flush as much as I could without rolling the fenders but I feel +35 might be pushing it?

Last edited by nwscoobie; 03-13-15 at 10:10 AM. Reason: wheel specs
Old 03-13-15, 11:53 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Nice purchase! You'll HIGHLY enjoy the 2012 headlight upgrade!

I'll be making a quick trip back home to Portland come early June; crossing fingers it'll not rain 100% of the time. LOL!
Old 03-13-15, 08:42 PM
liqB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

06, has the car had its piston rings replaced? If not see if you can get a dealer to do it for you before the 9years are up. Nice ride, Awesome color, no sharkfin. Enjoy
Old 03-15-15, 10:15 PM
nwscoobie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by liqB
06, has the car had its piston rings replaced? If not see if you can get a dealer to do it for you before the 9years are up. Nice ride, Awesome color, no sharkfin. Enjoy
Oh is there a recall on the rings? I have the dash recall maybe I'll just give them a call and drop off the car later this week. Do you have a reference for the rings? Thanks for letting me know.

Originally Posted by Gville350
Nice purchase! You'll HIGHLY enjoy the 2012 headlight upgrade!

I'll be making a quick trip back home to Portland come early June; crossing fingers it'll not rain 100% of the time. LOL!
Thanks I can't wait to install them.
Old 03-16-15, 12:59 PM
Damaca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nwscoobie
Thanks, I really like the wheels but everything blacked out I would like a lot or perhaps get the wheels done in black., I do like the contrast is has right now though so it is still up in the air.

The Subaru market and a few other has taken a turn downhill. It seems everyone is asking astronomical prices for cars that have a branded title, I offered dealerships kbb value in good condition for cars with cash in my hand and they said no because some person will pay that stupid price for them. I could rant about it forever but at least now I do not have to worry about people coming up next to me and revving their engines
Ah so it's not just here that they're doing that. I'm in a military town and the mark up is astronomical. I thought about picking up a bugeye wagon as a toy/project car and even those are going for stupid prices. The dealers have the same mentality here, "Someone else will buy it for what we want." It drives me nuts.

Good luck with the IS, though. This is my most comfortable car to date. I just wish even the most mild of mods didn't empty the bank account. So far, I've had mine for 16 months and it's bone stock and that's how it's staying. lol.
Old 03-17-15, 09:53 AM
nwscoobie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Damaca
Ah so it's not just here that they're doing that. I'm in a military town and the mark up is astronomical. I thought about picking up a bugeye wagon as a toy/project car and even those are going for stupid prices. The dealers have the same mentality here, "Someone else will buy it for what we want." It drives me nuts.

Good luck with the IS, though. This is my most comfortable car to date. I just wish even the most mild of mods didn't empty the bank account. So far, I've had mine for 16 months and it's bone stock and that's how it's staying. lol.
Yeah some markets are not good right now for cars. I noticed the IS250/350's were starting to trend that way when I was looking. For the price this car has so many features to offer. Kinda wish I got a 350 but I got a really good deal on mine.
Old 03-18-15, 09:06 AM
Damaca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nwscoobie
Yeah some markets are not good right now for cars. I noticed the IS250/350's were starting to trend that way when I was looking. For the price this car has so many features to offer. Kinda wish I got a 350 but I got a really good deal on mine.
Same thing here. My WRX had around 300 at the wheels so it's been hard to get used to a lack of merging power on the short ramps here in the Mid Atlantic. But I snagged a loaded IS with only one owner and 40,000 miles on it so the creature comforts make up for the lack of power.