IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Output shots of PNP Hids in Halogen housings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 02:35 PM
nwscoobie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Output shots of PNP Hids in Halogen housings?

Does anyone have a Plug and play Hid kit in their halogen housing? I would like to see the cutoff and output shots. Usually I can correct glare by removing the squirrel finder if these projectors have them. If the output is too horrid I will do another retrofit.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-15, 01:07 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a really old pic that I took when I did my retrofits to compare the outputs. It's a bit blurry but hope it helps.
Old 03-11-15, 08:39 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

From my 2011 when I briefly had a PnP Philips kit installed a few years ago:

Jeff
Old 03-11-15, 12:45 PM
nwscoobie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kumquatism
Here's a really old pic that I took when I did my retrofits to compare the outputs. It's a bit blurry but hope it helps.
Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
From my 2011 when I briefly had a PnP Philips kit installed a few years ago:

Jeff
Thank you for the pictures guys. I have a 2006 with Halogen projectors. I am just in a toss up between just doing a 4300k pnp kit or a s2000 projector or a mini d2s. I have hear of some people replacing the halogen bowl with a rx330 hid bowl to make a hybrid kinda.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the easiest way for the best light output? I would rather just purchase some newer headlights but that requires a harness and what not.

I heard the newer style headlights with the LED's plug right in. Is this true?

This is my first IS and I am a freak about HID lighting.
Old 03-11-15, 02:23 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did an s2k projector retrofit. The difference is night and day. An older member did the rx330 hybrid setup, which looked amazing as well, but I would probably avoid doing a retrofit yourself unless you know what you're doing, as the is250 housing isn't the easiest retrofit to do. You'll have to carve up the rear of the headlight housing in order to access the bulbs -- there is a reason why the is250 projectors are side-loading.

Getting the 2011+ headlights would probably be the easiest option for you, although it costs as much as a retrofit anyways. The 2011+ headlights are mostly plug and play, but with some slight modifications. Nothing too difficult though.
Old 03-11-15, 03:46 PM
nwscoobie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kumquatism
i did an s2k projector retrofit. The difference is night and day. An older member did the rx330 hybrid setup, which looked amazing as well, but I would probably avoid doing a retrofit yourself unless you know what you're doing, as the is250 housing isn't the easiest retrofit to do. You'll have to carve up the rear of the headlight housing in order to access the bulbs -- there is a reason why the is250 projectors are side-loading.

Getting the 2011+ headlights would probably be the easiest option for you, although it costs as much as a retrofit anyways. The 2011+ headlights are mostly plug and play, but with some slight modifications. Nothing too difficult though.
Thanks for the info and on the 2011+ I might end up going that route just for the sake of everything I want from the factory so I don't have to take it apart. I am pretty experienced with retrofitting i have done about 9 retrofits so far in tacomas/tundra's/wrx/gsxr750 and more plus the mh1 in my sierra i have now. I go from my sierra morimoto mh1 4300kxb bulbs to the halogen lexus and I cannot see anything. But it was hard to find a reasonably priced is250 or 350 with the options I wanted. The only option it didnt have was hid

So if anyone has a 2011 completed setup please let me know, including ballasts and bulbs. I cant post in the WTB yet.. too new. Once I get them in I will retrofit my old headlights and probably sell them.
Old 03-17-15, 09:49 AM
nwscoobie
Driver School Candidate

can someone provide the output photo of the OEM D4S bulbs from a 2012+ headlights? I am trying to decide if I need to buy a clear lens or not.

Also is there a wiring diagram for the 2012 headlights to make them work? I already bought a flasher and I have read the other posts from the people that did the swap. From what I got from it was to replace the black with with the green wire then I am good to go? I have lots of work to do before the weekend rotors/pads/struts/headlights already waxed and washed. Just trying to make the headlight process a seamless transition.

From what I understand the headlights have a high and low led setting. I bought the 2012+ version with the "eyelashes"

Thanks in advance.