IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Old member, (probably) new to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 10:23 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carlos3366
I haven't had any probs w/my 250. but I can tell you that ISs (250 & 350) have a problem with destroying the inner side of the tires. Usually the tires last about 2 yrs only, that's my only disappointment with the ISs. I would recommend is350 but since you don't have access the 250 should work, just be ready to spend money on tires, that's about it.
Yes, this is common for IS because the toe changes during cornering/braking. However, I don't have this problem much on both my IS250 & IS350 by doing the following:
1. Set toe alignment at exact 0 for all 4 tires.
2. Get a FIGS Front Lower Arm Rear Mount #2 Poly Bushing 90 duro HP. This will help A LOT! More info here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...0-duro-hp.html
Old 03-06-15, 05:49 AM
Gatriel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all -

Thanks for the responses!

I signed the paperwork on the car, and pick it up in Dresden on Wednesday of next week. My first experience with the car will be a road trip from Dresden to Frankfurt am Main, about 500 kms or 3-4 hours in the car depending on traffic.

Here is my purchase;

Old member, (probably) new to Lexus-s2hyjpx.png
Old member, (probably) new to Lexus-auoychm.png
Old member, (probably) new to Lexus-6eysi7s.png
Old member, (probably) new to Lexus-xmee8p5.png
Old member, (probably) new to Lexus-hsxkbmg.png
Old member, (probably) new to Lexus-cae2svu.png
Old member, (probably) new to Lexus-0mkdrkx.png

I paid 12,560€, or just a little north of $13,5k for a CPO with an unlimited mileage 5 year warranty. Not too bad if you ask me. (Car has 121,000 k on the clock, or about 75,000 miles)

Its a fully loaded specimen save the sunroof, and this is a slick-top. I am not coming from the M3 as someone above stated, but from a 325i, so this has just a tad more power to it, but not much. Power train is essentially identical.

I am not too "mod happy" -- I might do the facelift conversion sometime in the future. I am however a maintenance "****."

PO had replaced the transmission oil and rear diff oil as well as new spark plugs, brake fluid & power steering fluid within the last 10k miles, but that was also the last oil change. So first thing will be an oil & filter change. Thereafter, I'll do lower control arm bushings and shocks, and get the car aligned at the same time. Then do a paint correction on the car (clay bar -> M205 -> M105) and then I'll Zaino the paint on it. Because I am such a high latitude, the car sees 90° heat -- maybe 2 weeks a year. So UV protection isn't nearly as important for many of you.

Thereafter, I can pickup a brand new in box drivers seat (identical to what I have with heat and ventilation) for about $400 here locally. (Literally -- its still wrapped in plastic) I'll swap the current seat out with that one, I'll re-wrap the steering wheel, and replace the shift **** with a shift-**** from an ISF.

Probably gonna convert all bulbs inside to LEDs. Apart from that -- no idea.

I'll get a Kuda car bracket for the car and then a dock for my work phone. I'll probably put in a LTE amplifier in the car as well for WAZE and audio-streaming purposes.

Dealer is throwing in new OEM floor mats, and I'll need to pick up a set of winter wheels and tires before October, but aside from that I am quite happy with my purchase.

The e46 will always have a special place in my heart, and I still think its one of the best BMW's ever built (along with the e30 and e39 M5) but I cannot use it as a DD anymore. I'll purchase another one in the future. I'd love to stick an S54 and OEM M3 widebody kit on a e46 sedan (as BMW never made one) but just as a "fun in the garage project" and nothing I have to DD.

The car's tires on it have another season, maybe two depending on how gas pedal friendly I am, but never-the-less, I am looking forward to it.

Last edited by Gatriel; 03-06-15 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-06-15, 10:31 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats!!! Yeah, good to see the rare manual IS250

I assume you live in Germany! You MUST bring this car to Nurburgring track for fun sometimes. You know it is my dream to drive on that track once in my life time. I currently only drive on that track with Gran Turismo game lol.

Ah, I'm also big maintenance **** not just to the engine but to the paint, interior and everything too so if you have any question about anything in this regard, feel free to ask me.
Old 03-06-15, 10:44 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I came from a 2003 330i Sport. It was an automatic however so I don't know how that affects you.

Personally I loved the car , it's looks, it's feel behind the wheel. It was my first car and I had hoped it would have lasted me a lot longer than it did.

About a year and a half into owning the car I had gone from:
1. Fixing the valve cover gaskets
2. Changing the tensioner pulley
3. Changing some other pulley along with belts
4. Fixing some Vanos issue (can't remember and don't want to)
5. Fuel pump replacement
6. Transmission work
7. Changed some hoses
8. Changed some other gasket that had tons of oil spilling on the bottom of my car
9. Changing the Starter

And some other things I can't remember. The car had gotten too expensive for me to maintain (even with my parents lending me quite a lot of money) that I had gone without my car for 2 whole months. Literally just sitting there in front of my house.

So after having checked one more time, it turns out I needed new Cat Converters that was gonna cost me (with Labor) about $1400

So I sold the Damn thing lol. ANYWAY.... I got my 2006 IS350 a month later and it has been the BEST decision I have ever made!! Just routine maintenance and the rest goes to Mods to make the car look every bit as good as the BMW. ( in my opinion even better). The car has the sport package as well but although the car doesn't feel as sporty behind the wheel it definitely gets the job done IMO. Although this car does have roughly 80 HP more.... soooooo.

My brother on the other hand has a 2006 IS250 AWD and its what inspired me to get a Lexus in the first place. I had got to drive for the first time when my cars steering pump went out outside of a Guitar Center lol. Anyway, Although his car is slow compared to mine (and just a bit slower than the 330i) I still really like the car for its luxury. Which in the end is what the 250 is all about IMHO. Not very sporty, but straight line acceleration is only a tad wee bit slower than my old 330i and the interior is world's better.

So in the end the only thing I can really do is suggest that you DRIVE one first. Because that's the only way you will ever know if you can live it.

For a drivers car I would pick the BMW all day every day (even with an Auto). For a luxurious and reliable car to Daily Drive I pick LEXUS hands down!!

I do hope to own a BMW again in the very very distant future but never agan will I buy Anything German without a warranty (unless I win the lotto) lol.

TL;DR

I had a 330i. Car was super unreliable and expensive. Drove an IS250. Sold the Bimmer. Got an IS350.. Problem solved. Couldn't be happier

EDIT: I just realized you already bought the car lol. My bad.

Great to see you as a new member to Club Lexus!! Hope you enjoy your new car and have a great experience as an owner!

Last edited by Tro209; 03-06-15 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 03:18 PM
Gatriel
Rookie

So I picked the car up today from Dresden (yes the un-militarized 800 year old city we bombed to the 8th century 3 weeks before the war ended) and drove it 300+ miles back home.

My thoughts coming from an e46 and an e60 before that.

- The interior on the Lexus is miles better than that of the e60, and slightly better than the e46. While I am accustomed to the e46, and this will take some getting used to, it seems like a lot of button placement on the Lexus were an afterthought, and not part of the interior design. However, the quality of the materials involved is vastly superior to that of the BMW, either the e46 or e60. The seats are superior in comfort to both cars, however they do have more body movement than the BMW sport seats which really held you in place. Biggest like when compared to the BMW -- quality of materials. Biggest dislike when compared to the BMW -- driving position.

- The exterior design is fairly comparable. While I find the e46 one of the most beautiful (non $100k+) cars ever designed, the XE20 is definitely in the top 5 along with the e36M, e30M, e46 ZHP, W219 and then the XE20. While I prefer the exterior C pillars, rear end and side lines of the e46 -- the front end of the XE20 is a much more attractive combination of parts than the e46 pre-facelift and e46 coupe facelift II. e46 Facelift I and e46M fronts are comparable.

- Paint quality. I find the paint of the Lexus superior to the BMW in almost every measurable fashion. The BMW paint seems lacking depth, whereas the Lexus paint has depth and character to it that most other automakers have a hard time matching. BMW wins on the clear coat. I swear with every single used Lexus I have ever looked at ever -- look at the car incorrectly and it develops swirl marks. This car and I have lots of bonding to do over a couple tubs of M205 and M105.

- Gas Mileage. Lexus wins hands down. What takes me 3/4ths of a tank with the BMW took me a little less than half with the Lexus. 2/3rds would be accurate. I was impressed as I did the first 150 kilometers or so at 180 KPH (110 mph) plus.

- Roat noise. Again -- Lexus by a mile. Traditionally with all BMWs (even the new ones today) eliminating air noise from the A pillars and rearview mirrors is not high on the priority list, whereas Lexus (as they are competing more with Mercedes than BMW, but thats a different story) really focused on this with the XE20. I was quite impressed.

- Mark Levinson beats the crap out of Harmon Kardon. It really isn't even worth saying much more than that.

- "Driving" experience -- seriously, its the BMW. I cannot place my finger on it -- but the BMW is just a better driving car. Its too bad I bought a 10 year old e46 sight unseen. Had I to do over again -- I would have slowed down and bought a better specimen. That being said -- apart from misc interior parts that need to be swapped, control arm bushings -- maybe drivers side rear tweeter -- I think I would have to really do some looking for stuff to replace.

Very happy with my purchase, and will be turning this thread into a build thread. For those of you who are interested in my e46 experiences;

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1065278

Expect something of the same with me taunting you all with my semi-alcie beer photos.

So I had the car a whole 12 hours -- and I have already spent money on it. I just bought a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3s all the way around the car. They get installed on Saturday.

Like someone from the previous page noted -- the inside tread on the front wheels resembles Mr. Clean's head and makes a good awful noise going down the road. This is obviously first on the list.

My plans in the immediate future (less than 3 months)

- Steering wheel leather recover
- New shift ****
- LED interior
- Claybar -> Polish -> wax the car

As far as polishing the car I am a bit torn, I can either do it myself. I have a great orbital buffer, but need to get the correct polish and pads, clay bar, extension cable, radio, (lots more beer), and spend a few weekends on it (I am studying for the British Bar exam right now so time is precious), or pay someone $400 or so to take the first half mm or so of the clear coat off the car and have it done in an afternoon by a pro. I am leaning towards DIY, but I lack a garage, which means I'd probably need to purchase a tent as well.

I need to pirate a new nav DVD from somewhere.

In the more distant future I need to replace the lower rear control arm bushings with the FIG ones and have the car realigned. This is 6 months out.

PO did all the work on the car that really needs to be done. Maybe I could change the trans oil again?

Coming from a BMW -- this is an unsettling amount (aka lack thereof) of require maintenance to do to these cars before mods. I am actually a bit taken aback. I have to find something wrong with it to fix.

SONOFA*****
Old 03-15-15, 01:00 AM
Gatriel
Rookie

Well, yesterday I put new Michelin Pilot Sport 3s on the car.

The inside tread of the front drivers side wheel (and the passengers but to a lesser extent) had an uneven wear pattern which caused a god awful racket. Glad its quiet now, but given what I have researched, this car eats tires about a set per year.

The guy at ATU (think Pepboys where everyone speaks German) said that is caused by a defective shock absorber. I'm not too convinced about it, but a "shock absorber test" costs literally 3€ and with any luck they will all be defective, and I get new ones under the CPO. Without any luck, it comes out ok, and I followed the course of action outlined below.

Thus I just ordered the FIGS lower rear control arm bushing, will have it installed (I am a DIY'er, but suspension parts on salted roads has me fighting rusted bolts without air tools. No thank you.), the toe set to zero and the car realigned. I hope this solves the problem, but we'll see in 50tk how the tires are looking.
Old 03-15-15, 05:49 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Get the front and rear sway bars F sport it will make a difference in the handling of the IS. As I stated coming from the E46 M3 handling was night and day compared to the IS. I just picked up the sway and it's worth the extra .
Old 03-15-15, 09:22 AM
Gatriel
Rookie

Thanks! I have added it to the list.
Old 07-26-15, 04:44 AM
Gatriel
Rookie

Ok all, so I'd like to update this:

Since my last post I've put about 13,000 miles (19,000 kilometres) on the car. The more I drive it, the more impressed with it I become. That being said, I've done a few things;

I purchased a set of these:

Name:  45qMoJX.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  101.6 KB

and had them installed. Cost around $350 when it was all said & done as I had to pay customs and tax here, but worth it. Steering is much better now. Next week I'm taking it to the dealer to take the toe in from 4 to 0 and then align the car to prevent it from eating tires like everyone complains about.

Then it came time to replace my brakes, and one of the rotors were warped, so I just replaced all pads and rotors as its something I don't need to think about again for 100,000 kilometres (60,000 miles) (next year essentially).

I bought these:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/370873011927?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Name:  4FjGnVv.jpg
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  dPztl8O.jpg
Size:  49.0 KB

Braking is better than the old worn out pads -- but the brake dust is materially more. For the price, I am happy.

Then I saw a recovered steering wheel -- and given the PO was apparently pretty ring heavy -- and essentially destroyed the current wheel, why not? So I swapped that today as well.

Name:  puMi6zi.jpg
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  Xb9Sq0U.jpg
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  PkWTt19.jpg
Size:  52.3 KB

I also replaced the HIDs, one of which had turned blue with some 5000k Philips bulbs. I would put up photos of them, but they are HIDs and I figured you all know what they look like.
Old 07-26-15, 05:15 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only downside with the IS model is its adjustments for the suspension. It's set up from the factory with a little negative camber built in. This provides sporty handling characteristics at the expense of tire wear. There are parts that are available in the United States to correct this and dial out the suspension to increase the tire life. I'm not sure if these parts would be legal in Grmany. For the other Amricans reading this Germany's government takes automotive inspections to a whole new level. Cars that do not meet safety compliance are not allowed on the road. Typical American beater cars would not be allowed on the road in Germany. Cars are expensive to operate because the maintenance is not optional like it is here in the U.S.

Another little difference is the testing procedure for getting a drivers license in Germany is pretty extensive and expensive. The theory portion takes 12 hours and the behind the wheel takes an additional 25-45 hours at a cost of $2,000. Serious infractions such as wreck less driving or DUI will be met with high fines and revoke license. It will not be a simple slap on the wrist like in the U.S.

On the plus side to all this the drivers in Germany know how to drive. The fast lane is exactly that... For faster moving vehicles. You won't find some goody-too-shoes creaping along in the fast lane slowing traffic down.

Last edited by cruzinZ; 07-26-15 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-26-15, 09:32 PM
Gatriel
Rookie

Yeah, the TüV here is brutal. It kills more cars than accidents, old age or a combination thereof.

A failed TüV coupled with a large (normally unnecessary) repair bill spells the end for most old cars. I wish the TüV was even more difficult than it is, as we still have 15 year old Renault POS cars around here. But you're right -- its a big deal.

There are creative ways around it -- for the most part. You still have to take it, but for example if you take your car back to the dealer you got it from, and have them do the TüV on the car when they are getting their used car lot done, then the TüV guy sees 30 cars all of which are very likely to pass, and quits paying attention to a large extent.

Getting TüV certificates for aftermarket parts which are very similar to the ones of your car is also pretty common, as they guys doing the TüV are like the mechanics at Pep Boyz, know enough to get the job done -- but thats about it.

On an aside, the air bag is not property aligned so I'll have to realign the airbag as the seems on both sides are not equal, and one of the Philips HID's I got looks to be about 4800k and not 5000k -- visible to someone OCD like myself that there is a difference. My mom could not see a difference to save her life, but its pointless to do anything, as I cannot capture the difference on a photo to get a new bulb. Maybe it just needs to burn in a little. Who knows?
Old 08-03-15, 01:14 PM
Gatriel
Rookie

As the car sits, girlfriend/fiancé (that time where she knows I've bought a ring and she knows it coming but I haven't popped the question yet) in the background picking flowers of my mom's birthday.

Man, I love Germany.

2IS IS 250 Germany Deutschland
Old 08-05-15, 10:44 AM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also own an e46 and IS350, I definitely know where you're coming from in regards to interior materials and driving experience. I really wish the IS steering has the weighted feel of the e46. Sorry to hear you weren't able to keep both cars, they both provide such rewarding ownership experiences!
Old 08-08-15, 12:38 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by synrgy350
I also own an e46 and IS350, I definitely know where you're coming from in regards to interior materials and driving experience. I really wish the IS steering has the weighted feel of the e46. Sorry to hear you weren't able to keep both cars, they both provide such rewarding ownership experiences!
I heard you can install the IS F steering ECU and it will improve the steering.
Old 08-10-15, 01:26 AM
Gatriel
Rookie

Originally Posted by synrgy350
Yeah, definitely wanting another e46 Convertible for a summertime car when they go down a bit further in price.

I'll get back into an e46. I am just so frustrated with BMW at the moment re; their abject refusal to make a small 4 door RWD car (aka what made them what they are today) I don't see myself buying a new one out of principal. They have let cannibalisation fears send me right over to their competition.

They'll make a 1 series FWD car, they'll make a 2er Coupe and Convertible, a 3er and a 4er Gran Coupe, but refuse to make a 1er RWD Sedan or a 2er Gran Coupe, so I'll just be taking my money to Infiniti next time I need a new car.

The 3IS here in Germany are just not worth the cash compared to the new Diesel Infiniti Q50.

Quick Reply: Old member, (probably) new to Lexus