IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First Major Problem

Old 02-21-15, 12:49 PM
Toyboy250
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Major Problem

So I've experienced my first issue with my 07 Lexus is250...
While driving i noticed that my indicators stopped working all of a sudden, pulled over and checked if the hazards worked and they did. My first thought was okay most likely a fuse that popped which i thought was strange. nevertheless got to my inlaws place and began searching for the fuse.
Looked everywhere and couldn't find the indicators fuses, i found the hazard fuse though. Kept looking and then eventually started pulling out fuses related to the headlamps, lights, fogs and so on and everything looked fine.
Got back in the car, turned it on and noticed the battery light on the dash on. I thought okay let me take it for a quick spin and let it charge, as i pulled out of the driveway, the power steering suddenly dies and now i started to worry abit, anyway drove around the block, pulled back in the driveway and left the car, thinking okay i will take it in to Lexus first thing Monday morning.
When the time came to leave, again the car started fine, power steering was working however immediately after pulling out of the driveway the power steering dies again. im thinking flip i need to get home asap. drove about 2-3kms i notice dash lights up like a Christmas tree, car then immediately dies.
Got someone to jump the car, car started up fine, let it charge for abit, then took of, not even 10 seconds later car is struggling to idle and dies out again.
So i towed it back to the inlaws place where im going to leave it until monday for Lexus to take a look.

So my question is, why would the indicators just stop working in the first place, when i tried indicating i never even heard the ticking from the relay, could it be the relay thats the problem? Is it either the battery or alternator that is ultimately causing these issue, i never had a multi meter nearby to test any voltages. Could the alternator or battery issues be as a result of me pulling out a few fuses?

Are all the indicators & power steering syptoms normal if the battery or alternator is bad? Am i in for a huge bill?
Thanks in advance?
Old 02-21-15, 12:55 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That's crazy stuff man. Dunno personally but it wouldn't hurt to just pull the battery and run it down to autozone and have them check it while you are waiting for Monday to come around. Keep us posted here with what it turns out to be.

I've read threads where a bad battery will cause all sorts of crazy stuff to start going on... this sounds like all sorts of crazy to me lol.
Old 02-21-15, 01:34 PM
Toyboy250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
That's crazy stuff man. Dunno personally but it wouldn't hurt to just pull the battery and run it down to autozone and have them check it while you are waiting for Monday to come around. Keep us posted here with what it turns out to be.

I've read threads where a bad battery will cause all sorts of crazy stuff to start going on... this sounds like all sorts of crazy to me lol.
Tell me about it man, was the weirdest thing ever, the way it escalated from the indicators just dying out to the power steering going then eventually the whole car dying. If i have time tomorrow will go around and pull the battery and have it checked.
Old 02-21-15, 01:34 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Sound like it might be your alternator. Charge the battery then take the positive battery terminal off. If it dies rite away it your alternator which power your battery to everthing like your steering.
Old 02-21-15, 01:39 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I had the same problem with my murano, it was the alternator.

How many miles are on your car?
Old 02-21-15, 01:43 PM
Toyboy250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by laobo979
Sound like it might be your alternator. Charge the battery then take the positive battery terminal off. If it dies rite away it your alternator which power your battery to everthing like your steering.
Bummer, was hoping it was just going to be the battery Will give that a shot, do you think the battery can still be used after this or will i need a new battery as well?
Any idea price wise, what this will set me back?

Last edited by Toyboy250; 02-21-15 at 01:46 PM. Reason: more info added
Old 02-21-15, 01:44 PM
Toyboy250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
I had the same problem with my murano, it was the alternator.

How many miles are on your car?
Well its on 153000kms now, so roughly 95000 miles....
Old 02-21-15, 02:11 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a bad battery. When my battery was almost completely dead all electronics would turn off and on.
Old 02-21-15, 04:34 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Nahboy
Well its on 153000kms now, so roughly 95000 miles....
Thanks for the info.

You can keep the old battery, it will need a charge, but whichever shop does your alternator job can charge the battery aside while replacing the alternator.
Old 02-22-15, 07:40 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

could be lose cable, check battery cables.
Old 02-22-15, 08:46 AM
Dylan19
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue. My horns went out as well, and both of these issues arose after I took my car to the stealership to get a new nav unit, because the screen completely went out.

My Fix: BMW. I went to the dealership the next day and traded my IS350 in for a 3 Series.
Old 02-22-15, 10:40 AM
Toyboy250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dylan19
I had the same issue. My horns went out as well, and both of these issues arose after I took my car to the stealership to get a new nav unit, because the screen completely went out.

My Fix: BMW. I went to the dealership the next day and traded my IS350 in for a 3 Series.
Hahaha that's an interesting fix...i don't think i will be resorting to such extreme measures just yet.
I Love my IS even though its lacking in the power department, I have a 09 Mercedes C200 kompressor as well however i prefer the overall feel of the Lexus. That said, i would trade the lexus in but only for an ISF.
Lets see how things pan out after i get the Lex up and running again
Old 02-22-15, 11:50 AM
Lexusboy4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you find out what the problem was
Old 02-23-15, 02:05 AM
Toyboy250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexusboy4
Did you find out what the problem was
Not quite yet, used my bro's battery to drive the car to the auto electrician. Car drove fine with no lights on the dash except the indictors that still arent working. They busy investigating now. Will update this thread once I have feedback.
Old 02-24-15, 12:42 AM
Toyboy250
Driver School Candidate

Quick Update: the auto electrical place did some test and confirmed that it's a faulty alternator, quoted me R3500 ($300) to only remove the alternator!!! because they needed to remove the radiator & nearly the entire front end to access the alternator!
Then they told me that they can't give me a price on the actual fixing of the alternator because they not sure whats wrong with it & then they will charge me another R3500 ($300) to put everything back together.

I very kindly went to go pick up my car, and followed this DIY on replacing an IS350 alternator:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-removal.html
Everything was exactly as stated in the DIY, 1 1/2 hours laters the alternator is free. heres a few pics for your enjoyment (excuse the dirty engine bay) no one wants to clean my engine bay as they too afraid of all the electronics, I will take this opportunity to do it myself once the alternator is sorted.
The only tricky bit was getting to the 12mm bolt holding the brack behind the alternator, its actually a 12mm not 10mm bold as stated in the diy.

Last edited by Toyboy250; 02-24-15 at 12:50 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Major Problem