IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

It's 2015.. Do you guys still use your NAV systems or your phones?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-15, 10:04 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Ah, OK, 'coz I was pretty sure you can't stream music on the older cars.
Sure you can.

Buy a 10 dollar blue tooth music streaming thing on amazon, plug that into your aux in and there ya go.

On my note 4 the directions voice cuts in over the audio and the second it stops speaking the music resumes, it's great!!

Like i said, I like being about to do multiple things without looking at the dash, turn ac up and down, fan up and down, volume, etc etc etc..
Old 01-05-15, 08:55 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
Sure you can.

Buy a 10 dollar blue tooth music streaming thing on amazon, plug that into your aux in and there ya go.

On my note 4 the directions voice cuts in over the audio and the second it stops speaking the music resumes, it's great!!
This. Any Bluetooth receiver will let you do this. Just find one on amazon that has good reviews and plug it into your aux. If it needs power you can get a 12V -> USB converter and hide it all inside your arm rest. I've been doing this for years, back when blackberry had a BT receiver available. It has survived upstate NY winters and summers without a problem so the hardware should be fine.

The issue with nav is you will need to update the maps every year, while on your phone its always up to date and google maps provides you with live traffic info so it reroutes you on the fly to save time.
Old 01-05-15, 09:27 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

all my cars has factory Navi but i never use them, i always use my phone for GPS. it's just better with updated traffic especially in NYC!

i like the cars comes with Navi just look nicer and built with other features!
Old 01-05-15, 09:39 AM
Jrg213
Driver School Candidate

I use my phone when I need GPS directions, but I love having my navi when spatial awareness helps. For ex., if I'm in an unfamiliar place and it's dark out or raining or something, it's nice to have an idea of whether the road is windy or straight, etc. Someone also pointed out that it's easier to detour if you need to - I'll second that.
Old 01-05-15, 10:03 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrfresh
My thoughts exactly. Simply the look and feel of a modern luxury car makes the navigation / touch screen a must.

The other nice part is having it integrated into the sound system so you get warning and don't miss a a turn.

I also have my navi setup to warn me when I am going to a certain amount over the speed limit to avoid speeding tickets.

Keep in mind you can always buy an aftermarket head unit that looks nearly identical to OEM. I purchased the "FlyAudio" / RoadRover" unit from eBay for $799 shipped and I couldn't be happier.
Well I wouldn't call a navigation a luxury anymore 9-10 years ago when the 2nd generation IS was first released it was. These days navigation are on many of the cheapest of cars. Most luxuries from luxury cars trickle down within 10 years like the keyless engine start, dual zone climate control, etc. making old luxury cars no longer luxury in terms of the current times.
Old 01-05-15, 06:18 PM
navarachi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkstvnsn
I'm looking to buy an 07-08 IS350 and am debating between one with the NAV package and one without. Is it even worth getting the NAV system these days? My current car doesn't have a navigation so I'm used to just using my phone. I like the fact that the NAV screen controls a bunch of other stuff besides the navigation, but I could live without it to save some coin, I think. Thoughts?
I don't miss the nav but get the cooled seats if you have the chance. Thats the only thing I miss.
Old 01-05-15, 06:55 PM
jtsimaras
Rookie

Originally Posted by navarachi
I don't miss the nav but get the cooled seats if you have the chance. Thats the only thing I miss.

can't wait to try my cool seats this coming summer
Old 01-05-15, 07:28 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I like the NAV package for the touch-screen display, and thought there might be a higher resale value (maybe not so much now, though). The NAV system is not intuitive to me, and requires stopping, even if someone else is providing the input. I use the iPhone Maps or Google Maps.
Old 01-05-15, 11:21 PM
harper7
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

I bought mine specifically looking for the Nav with M Levinson as the stereos are so hard to upgrade on a IS since the climate controls are built in the stereo. I've already hacked mine to work even in motion with the new 14.1 DVD and play DVD's in motion with the ML hack .

I'm going to upgrade with the Vaistech iVIC-5DR as I just confirmed today from them that it will work with my Note 4 and my IS. Still looks clunky compared to latest tech from Pioneer or Kenwood though.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...h-ivic-dr.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-i7m3tEUoc#t=337

For those without the Nav ,the SCOSCHE LS2151B is coming out that has the climate controls so you can now use a more modern Nav or Dvd 7" Double Din......http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=ls2151b

I have a hacked Pioneer Avic-Z140BH in my 4Runner and love it and wish I could put one in my IS350.

Last edited by harper7; 01-06-15 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-26-17, 08:04 PM
rijn
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a specific reason why the SCOSCHE LS2151B won't work on a Nav equipped car?
Old 01-27-17, 11:45 PM
drew81333
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by harper7
I bought mine specifically looking for the Nav with M Levinson as the stereos are so hard to upgrade on a IS since the climate controls are built in the stereo. I've already hacked mine to work even in motion with the new 14.1 DVD and play DVD's in motion with the ML hack .

I'm going to upgrade with the Vaistech iVIC-5DR as I just confirmed today from them that it will work with my Note 4 and my IS. Still looks clunky compared to latest tech from Pioneer or Kenwood though.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...h-ivic-dr.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-i7m3tEUoc#t=337

For those without the Nav ,the SCOSCHE LS2151B is coming out that has the climate controls so you can now use a more modern Nav or Dvd 7" Double Din......http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=ls2151b

I have a hacked Pioneer Avic-Z140BH in my 4Runner and love it and wish I could put one in my IS350.

Check out my post in
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ggestions.html

I used the Beat Sonic kit with the OEM nav screen and installed a Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX underneath to retain the OEM screen for all the OEM features minus radio and as 2nd display for the Pioneer unit.

Really happy with it. mirror the iphone to watch Netflix and movies on the screens.